BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Would you go back to your old job...

Curious as to what all of your opinions are on the situation I'm in. About 9 months ago, I left my company of 8 years for a health raise elsewhere. Well, while the money has certainly been nice, I just haven't taken a liking to the new place, management is awful and the room for growth just doesn't seem to be there either.

Recently though, I was offered an opportunity to go back to my old place of work for a new role with an increase in pay that would only put me about 7k short of what I'm making now (I left for a ~15k raise), along with plenty of room for advancement. I'd also be getting back all of my tenure, vacation, etc.

That being the case, would you guys go back? I'm almost certainly going to pull the trigger, but I'm curious what others might do in the same situation.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

If old job is less stressful Yes money will come down the road go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Depends on what kind of growth is actually there. How do they know you won't leave them again when you find another new better position? How stressful are both jobs?

There's a lot of pros and cons, but from the information you put, I'd probably stick it out at the current job and maybe look for something ELSE new, and use your current wage as leverage when you go into interviews.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Hard to say, really, with the information you've given. Only you can really determine whether the loss in $7k/yr is worth it. Couple of additional factors to consider is (i) the solvency of both companies and (ii) the fact that you've only been at your new position for 9 months, so leaving now would essentially burn your bridge at the new company. Generally accepted practice is to stay at a new place for at least 2 years. This may be important if networking is important in your field and/or if the field involves relatively few participants such that everybody pretty much knows everybody.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

I will not go back to my old company.

I worked for them for 6yrs, loved everyday of it because of less stress, enjoyable work etc
I've been at my new job for about 3 months. Definitely not an easy gliding job but i'm learning and challenging myself. I want to learn as much skills as i can and build as much network as i can now that i'm younger so i can set a good momentum for myself.

OP if, you're older, let's say 40yrs+, then i say go back to your old job and stay happy, stress is not worth your life, your happiness is everything.
However, if you're still young, i advice to stay at the new job especially if you're learning new things.
      12-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, just to expand a bit:

-Working in the IT field, in my 30's, married with two kids.

-Previous company was in the software industry, current company is medical (I've also realized that IT in a non-IT company is far different..)

-Salary hovering in the 90k range

-Old company is HUGE with pretty much infinite means to advance, while current company is limited in that regard (at least in IT).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

What about another employer altogether (neither current nor previous) that is a better environment and pays what you want.

If that's not feasible then I'd go say ok to go back if already offered and you'd be welcomed.
      12-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Sorry, just to expand a bit:

-Working in the IT field, in my 30's, married with two kids.

-Previous company was in the software industry, current company is medical (I've also realized that IT in a non-IT company is far different..)

-Salary hovering in the 90k range

-Old company is HUGE with pretty much infinite means to advance, while current company is limited in that regard (at least in IT).
My old job, small private company of about 70 employees. I was a Software engineer working on medical devices. We use C, C++ and other proprietary languages to design embedded systems. I had huge responsibilities because the Engineering team was so small but i loved it.

New job, larger public company more than 6,000 employees, Software engineer for a television company. So far, i haven't worked on anything super exciting but i've been studying and learning new technology.

Married with two kids? I think your happiness takes priority here. Your kids and wife are already enough stress (good stress) that you don't need anymore BS from your job. In your case i suggest going back to your old job.
      12-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

I've been at my current job about as long as you. Similar decisions, but a little bit different. I wouldn't go back, at least not in the near term.

My old job I loved the work I was doing, really interesting, basically a dream job for my field. But the company culture was uncomfortable. A lot of uncertainty, worked people hard, pulling back on lots of benefits, etc. Just not very employee friendly.

At my new job, I enjoy the work, but it isn't nearly as "sexy" as my old job and isn't really my specialty. But it pays better, is stable, and much more employee friendly with benefits. Overall quality of life is much improved, so for me that was an acceptable trade off and I'm happy with where I am now.

So as it relates to your situation, I would more heavily weight your quality of life than salary, especially if the difference won't affect your lifestyle significantly. That said, I too would find it very difficult to move backward in salary. I think your best option is to use your current salary to negotiate with your old company. If they are huge as you say, the pay difference is a drop in the bucket for them, and they clearly value you if they want you back. They can pay the market rate for z335is' services or find someone else.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I've been at my current job about as long as you. Similar decisions, but a little bit different. I wouldn't go back, at least not in the near term.

My old job I loved the work I was doing, really interesting, basically a dream job for my field. But the company culture was uncomfortable. A lot of uncertainty, worked people hard, pulling back on lots of benefits, etc. Just not very employee friendly.

At my new job, I enjoy the work, but it isn't nearly as "sexy" as my old job and isn't really my specialty. But it pays better, is stable, and much more employee friendly with benefits. Overall quality of life is much improved, so for me that was an acceptable trade off and I'm happy with where I am now.

So as it relates to your situation, I would more heavily weight your quality of life than salary, especially if the difference won't affect your lifestyle significantly. That said, I too would find it very difficult to move backward in salary. I think your best option is to use your current salary to negotiate with your old company. If they are huge as you say, the pay difference is a drop in the bucket for them, and they clearly value you if they want you back. They can pay the market rate for z335is' services or find someone else.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'm definitely in the process of having some additional perks throw in, chief of which is two guaranteed work from home days per week. At my current company work from home is frowned upon outside of emergency situations, so that will be a huge help in of itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Nope. I dont have any loyalty to an employer and I go where the money is. I think the longest I've been with a firm is 5 years and that was when I was fresh out of college. As soon as I'm content/bored at one place, I start looking for another higher paying gig and would absolutely never take any sort of pay cut.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

there's no replacement for having your own company and being your own boss....its truly a blessing if you can achieve it

but with that being said.......the stress is on a whole other level. I wouldnt go back to one of my old jobs, but if I needed to, I would go back to working for one of my old managers. really great guy!

back in the day, employer loyalty used to be a huge thing, doesnt seem to be that way any more
      12-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

10k after taxes is really closer to about 7.5k, so you have to ask yourself, "is 7.5k worth me being in a better atmosphere, being able to work from home, etc?".

For me, the answer would be yes, but only you can decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
10k after taxes is really closer to about 7.5k, so you have to ask yourself, "is 7.5k worth me being in a better atmosphere, being able to work from home, etc?".

For me, the answer would be yes, but only you can decide.
in CT that's more like 6.5k
      12-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have had two offers to go back to a former employer. One I accepted but ended up turning down when I received a better offer. Felt bad about walking away from my acceptance but at least I didn't start back at the former employer when I did this. I also met with my former manager in person to explain the situation which I think helped to smooth things over a little.

The second offer I did accept a few years later. I had worked for this previous employer for a bit over 4 years. I left to explore a new opportunity where my former hiring manager of the company I was leaving went to and said it would be a good career move for me. I was there at this new company for about a year and things were not working out. I ended up leaving for another company and had issues with the contract they had me on. The company parked me at a spot where they can have me billable until they figured out a permanent spot for me. That's when I decided to talk to the company I had worked for 4 years. I talked to my former manager and she said they do have an opportunity if I was interested but it would be back on the same contract working for the same people I had when I left. I said I have no problems doing that.

Well, I ended up accepting the job with a slight pay bump and got my past tenure/work experience reinstated. Work experience wise, it was a great move for me. I got into more IT technologies which I had never touched or had only passing familiarity. It was stressful but I gained a lot of experience. I ended up doing a large data center migration along with keeping two remote locations online at the same time. The location we moved the data center to, I was responsible for standing up the campus network deployment in addition to doing the data center migration/upgrade. Moved Terrabytes of data to a new SAN infrastructure, built out a whole new data center and campus network, migrated 300 hundred users while keeping a hundred or so users at the remote locations online, set up a data at rest encryption system, and designed a new WAN architecture using WAN acceleration and GRE tunnels to allow more dynamic agility in network changes at the remote locations along with centralized file consolidation. I lost an entire summer being knee deep in configuring, rack and stack, and pulling cables. But the experience was well worth the stress and lost summer. That experience later helped me get opportunities at the big network company that starts with a C and other opportunities along my career path.

I try not to burn bridges at any place I've worked. I always try to leave on good terms as you never know when you might go back or cross paths. It really depends on your situation. In my case, going back to my former employer was a great move for me career wise as it exposed me to more technology than I would have otherwise been exposed to if I had stayed at the then current employer.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #16
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I probably wouldnt. I left a relatively low stress job to go to a higher stress job with about the same pay; but I can live and work out of one location vs having to move every 2-3years. While it was nice for the housing market (I seemed to move to a spot right as the market was on the up, and then got to sell while it was at its peak), it sucks to move, especially cross country.

It was kinda nice cause they would pay to pack everything up and ship it, and all you would have to do was show up, and the fact that my current house was bought only with the profits of my former sales and is about 5 times the cost of my 1st house.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

There was 1 job I always wanted to go back to, but it was nearly impossible due to new investor and I have disagreement with the route they are taking to grow.

Moving forward, those investor folded 2 years after I left, and the original president called me on Nov 2013. It was an opportunity to buy the company on a dime to 15cents PER bucks.

After doing analysis,I was about the buy it. Just that president can only work 2days /week. That and few issues was the problem which I declined after fact finding for 6 days there.

Pay there was horrible when I was an employee, but BEST job ever!
With that investment $, I just bought nissan, bmw, and did the hard wood floor... lol
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh another funny one.

I had 2 companies who laid me off due to underperformance.

Then 1 of the company beg me to be their distributor for West region. WTF....

One company called me , and I told em I can only do part time. I was going to school at that time (auto sales). Got the part time job and they were extremely happy.
I was horrible full time 60+hr employee due to school work and etc, but I was an awesome part time 15-25hr employee. This was about 15-17 years ago, and I still send them a Christmas cards.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

$7k "loss" to work in an area that is more comfortable with better management and more opportunity for advancement?

Assuming the $7k is a <10% loss then of course, I would leave in a heart beat. (given they were similarly distanced from my place of residence and provided similar benefits packages)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #20
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Like above poster said, proximity to and from is an important factor as well, could wash out the difference in that 7k. You know the old job, and you're happy there... Seems like a no brainer to me.
Don't wanna sound cliche but "the grass isn't always greener on the other side"
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #21
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wold take 60% paycut for:
Less hours
Short (5minutes) commute.
No bullshits.
Time to browse Internet like people here during work hours.

20 minutes were most time I've ever had time to browse Internet during 12hr perday at work when. I had a job.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #22
Mr Friese
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

The only thing I might be worried about is the fact that you are changing jobs in such a short time. Maybe some of the HR / recruiter people on here can speak further on that though.

Outside of that, I would say go for it.
Appreciate 0