BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Sat Nav updates

Has anyone else had to update their sat nav maps manually?

I've had to do it twice now as the automatic update feature doesn't seem to be working...(I have checked and it is 'booked' in connected drive and everywhere seems to show it is active but it never updates.

Given that the manual download manager takes an age to download, verify and then save the maps to a USB (29 GB this time around!) it would be a far sight better to have it do this automatically...haven't phoned the concierge about this but maybe I will next time, just curious if anyone else has had to do this or if it is just me!

In Oct. 17 updated to 2017-3 map, and not updated until today from that map to 2018 -1.

Cheers, thanks for any feedback in advance.
      06-09-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Has anyone else had to update their sat nav maps manually?

I've had to do it twice now as the automatic update feature doesn't seem to be working...(I have checked and it is 'booked' in connected drive and everywhere seems to show it is active but it never updates.

Given that the manual download manager takes an age to download, verify and then save the maps to a USB (29 GB this time around!) it would be a far sight better to have it do this automatically...haven't phoned the concierge about this but maybe I will next time, just curious if anyone else has had to do this or if it is just me!

In Oct. 17 updated to 2017-3 map, and not updated until today from that map to 2018 -1.

Cheers, thanks for any feedback in advance.
I believe 2018-2 has just been released though not driven the car to see if it's downloaded. I suspect it won't have as it doesn't come up for download on BMW's site for a while after they've released it.

I always used to do the BMW M5 manually as it didn't auto update. I've a really quick Internet so it doesn't take long to download but updating the car takes quite a long time.

I still will probably do the car manually as the automatic update will only download the UK region for us, if you want to update your European maps you need to do the manual download.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I believe 2018-2 has just been released though not driven the car to see if it's downloaded. I suspect it won't have as it doesn't come up for download on BMW's site for a while after they've released it.

I always used to do the BMW M5 manually as it didn't auto update. I've a really quick Internet so it doesn't take long to download but updating the car takes quite a long time.

I still will probably do the car manually as the automatic update will only download the UK region for us, if you want to update your European maps you need to do the manual download.
Thanks, thought I had seen some post that they now have 18-2 update but when I look closer that appears to only be North American cars, so not sure if they have yet released a European map update -2...please do let me know if so, I'll then check again on connected drive and see about downloading that one as well.

Good to know about the difference between UK and EU maps via method, would always want the continental maps for the odd trip I do over there (still haven't taken this dirty diesel over yet, hoping this Summer.

We have a measured 40 Mb download speed in ours, could get up to 200 but don't need it except for these 25+ GB map downloads! The issue I find is that the first 10 GB download quickly, then every 2.5 GB thereafter it stops (some internal system to allow many connections without hogging the bandwidth I guess, so one has to watch and then pause for a few seconds and then let it go again until the download is finished...defeats the overnight download idea...

Anyway, would be good to hear if anyone else in EU has 18-2 map, otherwise, it has updated since my last check so still going to be newer!

Did you notice the new feature FastLaneJB that it indicates when two Lasers are getting close to one another than then diverts one so that the local residents don't phone the 999 numbers saying there has been a nuke strike!

Safe travels,
      06-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Thanks, thought I had seen some post that they now have 18-2 update but when I look closer that appears to only be North American cars, so not sure if they have yet released a European map update -2...please do let me know if so, I'll then check again on connected drive and see about downloading that one as well.
It's not out on Connected Drive yet but BMW have released it to dealers I believe. Can take a month or two before it's on Connected Drive, they are quite slow at updating it.

Quote:
Good to know about the difference between UK and EU maps via method, would always want the continental maps for the odd trip I do over there (still haven't taken this dirty diesel over yet, hoping this Summer.
Yeah think it'll be worth the odd manual update sometimes to keep them current.

Quote:
We have a measured 40 Mb download speed in ours, could get up to 200 but don't need it except for these 25+ GB map downloads! The issue I find is that the first 10 GB download quickly, then every 2.5 GB thereafter it stops (some internal system to allow many connections without hogging the bandwidth I guess, so one has to watch and then pause for a few seconds and then let it go again until the download is finished...defeats the overnight download idea...
Yeah I've 300Mbit here

Quote:
Anyway, would be good to hear if anyone else in EU has 18-2 map, otherwise, it has updated since my last check so still going to be newer!
It's on the Internet already if you know where to look

Quote:
Did you notice the new feature FastLaneJB that it indicates when two Lasers are getting close to one another than then diverts one so that the local residents don't phone the 999 numbers saying there has been a nuke strike!

Safe travels,
It's a good job. I think it's probably like Ghostbusters where your must never cross the beams. Might cut a whole in the space / time fabric. It's bad enough all the poor pedestrians I've incinerated already. Poor sods.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
It's not out on Connected Drive yet but BMW have released it to dealers I believe. Can take a month or two before it's on Connected Drive, they are quite slow at updating it.
Likely everyone has it already but just in case...now available to download officially.

Even more of a pain now as the wife has decided I don't in fact need a new bigger set of alloys for the 7...(at least not immediately) as she's depleted the account for her new ride...so 2 sat nav units to update now (at least it is a BMW and she's not gone and had an affair!). Pre reg 18 plate so needs latest maps too!

Safe travels everyone.
Attached Images

07-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I've never had an automatic update as far as I can tell. I did one manual update before a trip to Florida.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I've never had an automatic update as far as I can tell. I did one manual update before a trip to Florida.
Good to know I'm not the only one thanks! Shame that really as it would save an awful lot of hassle, although to be honest if it was only updating the UK map (or local as the case may be for others) that would be a reason to not do it or allow it!

I've now downloaded the painful 52 GB of maps (2 x 26!) and installed them without issue, at least that is quite clear and goes about it nicely when one does do it manually. The 4 series definitely took a lot longer to update (around 40 minutes) than the 7, not sure if this was due to a difference in the hardware or simply that the 4 was using only a UK map with basic EU rather than full EU...in any case, the 7 did it in about 20 minutes tops I reckon.

Safe travels everyone.