BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

M760Li ordered - UK

OK so coming out of an F10 M5. Lovely car, very comfortable but in the UK where it's often cold and / or wet it does struggle to put it's power down. A Golf R is quicker than the M5 a reasonable amount of the year. So enjoyed the fishtailing but time to switch out for something with 4 wheel drive.

The new M5 is close to perfect I think but it's expensive with poor / no deals and a high APR. So going for a M760Li instead which strangely despite being a much more expensive car is considerably cheaper on a PCP. Looking forward to the extra comfort and luxury.

Specs of the car:

M760Li M Sport xDrive V12
San Merino Blue Individual Paint
Cashmere Beige/Black Merino Full Leather - BMW Individual
Sun Protection Glass
Seat Ventilation, Front
Seat Ventilation, Rear
Through-loading system
Ash Grain Chestnut wood with Wood inlay interior trim
BMW Laserlights
Surround-view
Park Assist
Remote Control Parking
Night Vision with pedestrian recognition

Standard Options - Mentioned as might vary from country to country

Advanced Parking Package
20" M Double-spoke 760M alloy wheels
Integral Active Steering
Executive Drive Pro
Comfort Access
Soft-Close Doors
Climate Comfort laminated glass
Climate Comfort windscreen
Display Key
Sky Lounge panoramic glass sunroof
Sunblinds for side and rear windows
Comfort seats, front
Comfort seats, rear
Heat Comfort package, front and rear
Ambient Air
Massage function, rear
Massage function, front
Ceramic finish for controls
Ambient lighting
Headlight wash
High-beam Assistant
Driving Assistant Plus
TV function
Nav Professional
Head-up Display
Apple CarPlay
Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound system
Read seat entertainment
Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
BMW Gesture Control
WiFi hotspot prep
M Steering Wheels
M rear spoiler
Headlining, Anthracite Alcantara

Pretty much all the options other than the Executive Seating for the rear as I want to keep the 5th seat as will need that on the odd occasion.

Looking forward to it coming. Be a little while BMW Individual slows the build down a bit.
Appreciate 1
ando1954.50
      01-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

seriously specced up car, wish I could afford the 760, it basically is the perfect car I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
seriously specced up car, wish I could afford the 760, it basically is the perfect car I reckon.
Thanks

No cars perfect. It's a bit long for the UK so I'm no doubt going to have some fun parking on occasions. Hopefully though not too much. I'll also be jealous of you not having to stop for fuel nearly as often

To be honest if I could go back just say 4 years and tell myself I'd be buying a M760Li I'd have laughed in my face. I wouldn't have been able to afford it or dream that I could. Just works gone pretty well is all so enjoying it while I can. Just lucky that I'm good at something that not enough people are in this country.

Your quite a bit younger than me if I remember, 33 was it? I'm 39, turning 40 this year so you've plenty of time yet. I'm hopefully not done yet, would like a McLaren or something one day when I've kicked the kids out and if I can ever afford it. One's 16 in April so that'll be one half of the problem solved, just the money required to go. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Yes true, guess I've got a few years to get there! But with the first kid on the way this year, we'll have to wait and see how the years pan out!

What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

For me I think a car like this (the 7 range in general) is a great daily driver, personally while I would love something like a McLaren, I'm tempted to go down the route of keeping a all round daily driver like a 7 or similar, then indulging my quest for a second (or third!) car that's purely for having fun. Most people I know lean towards a Porsche or something, personally I'd rather go down the route of a TVR Tuscan!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm an IT Consultant, work as a Cloud Architect. Lots of business are after moving their IT to the cloud but there's a lack of enough people with good enough knowledge to make it happen at the rate most businesses would like. Hence the salaries have been climbing quite a bit year on year. It's still quite a bit behind what I could earn in the US to be honest but it's still reasonable.

I've probably an advantage of living in Peterborough vs High Wycombe. I can imagine my car payment plus mortgage might not even equal your mortgage. You get a lot of house for not that much money here considering I can still get into London in 52 minutes on the train.

Yeah at the minute I like the all rounder which I think the M760Li is pretty much it. It's not quite as focused as the M5 but it's closer than you might think. Close enough it'll keep me happy in that regard. Comfort, luxury, the lot.

However yes I think your right, once I don't need to drive the kids around much I'd be able to look at having a 2 seater which I would then be able to use a lot more of the time. I do wonder though if by the time that becomes possible I just won't be interested in doing it. A little part of me says I shouldn't waste so much money on cars but the other side tells me you only live once
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I'm also an IT Consultant, well, currently a Project Manager in a consulting business unit, but my industry is security and compliance (PCI and that sort of stuff). I wanted to move away from the hands on technical but I ended up in a type of role that I don't actually enjoy that much. Need to get out and look for other opportunities.

I would love to move away from the South East, but my wife wouldn't have any of it. We're 5 mins from pretty much all her family and some of mine (a bit too close if you ask me!) and she's not going to move anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
Wow! San Marino Blue! Great Color!

What was the price for this individual color?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm also an IT Consultant, well, currently a Project Manager in a consulting business unit, but my industry is security and compliance (PCI and that sort of stuff). I wanted to move away from the hands on technical but I ended up in a type of role that I don't actually enjoy that much. Need to get out and look for other opportunities.

I would love to move away from the South East, but my wife wouldn't have any of it. We're 5 mins from pretty much all her family and some of mine (a bit too close if you ask me!) and she's not going to move anytime soon.
I mean to afford a 7 series you either had to be a doctor, IT Consultant or drug dealer

That's really interesting actually. I've always enjoyed the implementation a lot however as I've got older the rate of change in IT gets a bit old. When I was young, I loved it but when you get older having to relearn so much over and over gets tiring.

I don't do too much implementation currently. My work tends to be pre-sales meetings, workshops, design documents and the like. A lot of paperwork mostly. I'm considering moving more heavily to technical pre-sales as maybe the route my career might head. Or I guess management creeps up on us all at some stage?

I'm from the Infrastructure space traditionally. Never security trained but you pick up an eye for what's needed because well you have to. Cloud's the current in thing but my money is on security being the next thing. Not because companies want to spend their money there because they generally hate spending on security as it seems to have no business value but finally the fines will be big enough that they'll have little choice.

Have a customer currently that is starting to spend big on security simply because their business insurance shot up hugely recently. Security is the means to get their premium down. The reason companies spend on it is never really because it's the right thing to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody View Post
Wow! San Marino Blue! Great Color!

What was the price for this individual color?
£2,800 I think it was in the UK. That'll be about 50 Euro's once we've fully finished ruining our country
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
seriously specced up car
+1 very nice indeed. Just wish they had it as a SWB. (or I lived on the continent as space is less expensive there and so less of a premium (stereotyping but you know what I mean! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I mean to afford a 7 series you either had to be a doctor, IT Consultant or drug dealer
coughs...Or a Meteorologist. (waves!)

<snip>

Quote:
£2,800 I think it was in the UK. That'll be about 50 Euro's once we've fully finished ruining our country
Heh, wish it weren't true! One never knows but the worry is certainly there!

Very nice spec...definitely up for a meet up once you (and anyone else) wants to...Happy to drive North or meet in the middle somewhere. I'll just wait for you two to pull your finger out (the anticipation must be killing you both!)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

That's a well equipped car
Congrats
      01-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #11
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
That's a well equipped car
Congrats
Thanks

In fairness it sure if it's the same in other countries but the M760Li comes with almost all 7 series options as standard. There's only a couple you can add on top.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Got a build week and date at last. Week 14 and hopefully be at my dealers in April.

Excited
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Got a build week and date at last. Week 14 and hopefully be at my dealers in April.

Excited
look forward to some pics of that spec and colour, should be very nice. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
look forward to some pics of that spec and colour, should be very nice. Congrats
Indeed. I'll pop some pics up when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Excited
Ooh, very good ^ Glad you have a build week and getting closer to delivery.

Now 325_bucks and I just need to come up with 14 things to mention, 1 a week to help the anticipation!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I think 325_bucks still has plenty of anticipation as well. Though seems probably will get his car 1 to 1.5 months before me.

Can you tell us if it'll be raining when we pick our cars up yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:58 AM   #17
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Heh, I could but you’d have the same chances of it being right (this far out) by tossing a coin! A week out is possible, anything longer is fantasy currently. Wish it were otherwise (working on that!)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #18
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Heh, I could but you’d have the same chances of it being right (this far out) by tossing a coin! A week out is possible, anything longer is fantasy currently. Wish it were otherwise (working on that!)
OK no worries, get cracking and I'll put 325_bucks on to PM the project. You've got a couple of weeks yet to solve the problem

Trying to think what I need to sort before I pick it up

1. GAP Insurance (Not sure there's much choice of vendors on cars of this value but needs to be done)
2. Tracker, think just get the BMW Trackstar. I notice they do an Advanced version which means the car won't start without a 2nd tag / fob but not sure I want to go that far.
3. Ceramic coating for the paint to protect it
4. Display key case
5. Drill a tunnel under a Shell vPower Refinery to siphon off a lakes worth of fuel to get me started
6. Book some holiday
7. Find somewhere to go driving...

Am I missing anything?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I’m considering a trip over to BMW welt in Munich this year so if that is of interest, even if it’s Spring when you get yours, let me know? You may want to wait to run her in first or have other plans...I’d only want to be past the Winter tyre mandatory period but otherwise flexible. Have considered driving down to lake Como afterwards and doing a weekend there...that of interest?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I was at bmw welt last year, it’s good, but I personally wouldn’t make another trip there for the fun of it unless you’re in the region.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #21
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting idea. I'd been discussing with a guy on the same road who I'm good friends with and has an M2 about a road trip up around the Scotland North Coast 500. Never been up there and I believe they just about still speak English

It would be like taking an aircraft carrier with destroyer support. He'd also need to carry a boot load of fuel to keep me going. Hehe

That's a summer thing as in this weather he'd be likely to ruin my photos of the scenery with his M2 falling off a cliff or something.

Autobahn has to be something to probably do. Maybe need the M Drivers Package to get the limiter up to 190mph so you cannot keep up
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #22
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was at bmw welt last year, it’s good, but I personally wouldn’t make another trip there for the fun of it unless you’re in the region.
Thanks 325_bucks, good to know, with my wife being German, barely need an excuse to hop over to the continent (whether to visit family, buy German goods and food or to finally visit the museum and headquarters. Driven by many times while away on work but just never could stop...so, been wanting to take this 7 over and have a go on the nicer roads and finally stop and see the museum. (appreciate the comment though!)

Quote:
Interesting idea. I'd been discussing with a guy on the same road who I'm good friends with and has an M2 about a road trip up around the Scotland North Coast 500. Never been up there and I believe they just about still speak English

It would be like taking an aircraft carrier with destroyer support. He'd also need to carry a boot load of fuel to keep me going. Hehe

That's a summer thing as in this weather he'd be likely to ruin my photos of the scenery with his M2 falling off a cliff or something.

Autobahn has to be something to probably do. Maybe need the M Drivers Package to get the limiter up to 190mph so you cannot keep up
Scotland likely would be brilliant as well, enjoy that if you do decide to go that direction, only been a few times but each time it was stunning scenery and little traffic really (and courteous) so likely a good option!

I'll likely do my trip over in May or June when work trips away calm down a bit so you or 325_bucks do feel like a run over let me know closer to the time.

Currently thinking my route would be over by ferry to Holland, do a night in Amsterdam, then try not to get a ticket through Holland, open it up once in Germany and head down to Munich for a night and see the museum, then continue on down to Northern Italy and Lake Como for a few days or weekend. I'd do a trip report when I do go, so will take you with me virtually in any case...

As to keeping up...I'll bow down now and say i'm not worthy' , you win. Would be great to drive a route with some fellow fans of the brand and with the same or older versions of the 7. A friend is likely to come along with his E65 7 as well (if he doesn't upgrade to the G models this year...)

Anyway, back to the topic, that list looks quite complete, can't think of anything else.

As a promised teaser to help that anticipation...

You'll love the details in the 7....for example the 7 stitching on the extra pillows for the rear headrests:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0