BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
entdoc
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750

S550 to 750

I posted this to MB World but thought it might be useful to some. I apologize for the copy / paste:

3 days ago, I traded my 2015 S550 in for a 2018 BMW 750 (both short wheelbase - which is available in Canada). Prior to the S550, I had a 2012 Audi A8 which I've left out of the discussion as I really don't think it matched the quality of either of these cars.

I was very happy with the S550 and my primary motivation for changing was that the monthly lease cost on the BMW was $1000 less / month for similarly equipped cars and identical lease terms. The BMW dealer was offering substantial discounts; the Mercedes dealer was not.

These are my initial impressions:

1. While subjective, I think the Mercedes is a prettier car. I find the BMW proportions a bit awkward and I really hate the 'hockey stick' trim. I got around that by ordering a black car with blacked out M-Sport trim.

2. The Mercedes paint quality is far superior. The BMW has an orange peel quality.

3. Interior fit and finish are comparable - perhaps slightly better in the Mercedes.

4. Interior styling is different. I don't think either is 'better'. I initially thought the Mercedes was more 'elegant'. I now prefer the BMW which feels like a real cockpit. In honesty, I never thought that the two bolted-on iPads looked integrated enough in the Mercedes.

5. The BMW 'tech' and MMI user interface are far superior.

6. The base audio system is infinitely better in the BMW (I can't speak to upgraded systems). I think this was the most lacking feature in my Mercedes and, quite frankly, sub-standard for a car that price.

7. I find the BMW seats more adjustable and more comfortable - particularly the bottoms which are quite flat in the S550 and the upper back which articulates forward in the BMW.

8. The BMW massage seats are better - they also involve the seat bottoms (not just the backs) and they can be turned on/off by a door mounted switch rather than having to navigate through menus.

9. The BMW doesn't automatically switch between forward and reverse cameras depending on whether reverse or drive is selected. When pulling forward while parallel parking, the rear view camera stays on (in addition to surround view). In order to engage the front camera, a separate console button needs to be pushed - and then pushed again to turn off. I find this really annoying and much better in the Mercedes.

10. Overall, the cameras are better in the BMW and offer a variety of different views.

11. I can permanently disable the auto stop-start feature in the BMW rather than having to do it every time I got into the Mercedes (a minor annoyance).

12. Contrary to every magazine article I read, I find the ride quality and sound level to be much better in the BMW - despite being on 20" wheels vs 19" on the Mercedes. From day one, I was aware of being on run-flats in the S550; not so in the 750.

13. There is a bigger difference between comfort and sport modes in the BMW - it really changes the character of the car, making it feel quite sporty - something I didn't find in my Mercedes.

14. The BMW feels faster and has much better throttle response.

15. The BMW (in sport mode) has a subtle but nice exhaust growl which isn't audible in the Mercedes.

16. The Mercedes HVAC is a bit better. It seems to get the interior to temperature a little quicker and with less drama. I also think the Mercedes glass does a better job of reflecting UV on hot / sunny days.

17. The BMW display key is cool - it allows functions like pre-conditioning the car interior before you get to it. But the key is huge - like carrying another iPhone. To their credit, however, they also provide 2 regular keys and the same functionality can be achieved by an iPhone app.

18. I really like having preset radio buttons in the BMW. Having to scroll through all of the preset stations to change channels in the Mercedes was annoying.

19. The BMW voice recognition system recognizes my voice much more accurately than the Mercedes system which frequently made errors (note: the Audi was the worst I've seen in any car).

20. I really like being able to quickly and easily search an internet term in the BMW by voice command - and then being able to instantly transition that into navigation directions or a phone call - something I couldn't do in the Mercedes.

21. I haven't used it yet but the included BMW concierge service is really cool - at the touch of a button, they'll make dinner reservations and then send the directions directly into your navigation.

22. The BMW doesn't have the 'infinite opening' doors of the Mercedes - it has traditional detents which can be an issue for me in my narrow garage. On the other hand, I had been hearing that the Mercedes hinges are failing and their replacement requires body work (which would bother me).

While my initial motivation was cost savings, I really like the car so far (better, I think, than the S550) - although I'll admit I felt more 'special' in the Mercedes. I'm sure it's all psychological or my having bought into the brand marketing, but it's hard getting over the perceived impression that Mercedes is 'best'.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I've had several MB's from 2004 to 2010 but since moving over to BMW in 2011, I have never looked back. I buy a car every year, sometimes two, so just think about how many cars it's been since I've owned an MB.
      07-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi entdoc, good to hear a perspective from someone switching over. Cars can be such an emotive item so the only opinion that counts is the person using it!

Naturally, here you'll find many like minded people (including me!), luckily there are choices for those that prefer another brand.

I find the BMW 7 is a better drivers car, it is far more understated (which some like and some don't) and I prefer the idrive menu system. I tried an S class but have been a BMW driver for some time and maybe it was just what I was used to but there was a clear difference as a drivers car. As a passenger in the back, maybe I'd view this differently.

To your points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by entdoc View Post
9. The BMW doesn't automatically switch between forward and reverse cameras depending on whether reverse or drive is selected. When pulling forward while parallel parking, the rear view camera stays on (in addition to surround view). In order to engage the front camera, a separate console button needs to be pushed - and then pushed again to turn off. I find this really annoying and much better in the Mercedes.
Interesting. Mine switches between front and rear without me doing anything when I do switch gears, my 7 is a 2016 model but I don't imagine this has changed in newer ones, might I ask if you have the camera set to the 'auto' camera setting? If not, try switching it with the idrive wheel and then doing the front/back movement and see if that helps? You may have simply put it to one camera at some time and therefore it stays there until you change it? Hope that helps.

Quote:
22. The BMW doesn't have the 'infinite opening' doors of the Mercedes - it has traditional detents which can be an issue for me in my narrow garage. On the other hand, I had been hearing that the Mercedes hinges are failing and their replacement requires body work (which would bother me).
My previous F01 730d (a 2011 model) had infinite opening doors and that was nice, I haven't paid attention to this feature in my current one but I do believe you that it has two openings, not sure why they changed this but an important change for some as you have pointed out!

Quote:
While my initial motivation was cost savings, I really like the car so far (better, I think, than the S550) - although I'll admit I felt more 'special' in the Mercedes. I'm sure it's all psychological or my having bought into the brand marketing, but it's hard getting over the perceived impression that Mercedes is 'best'.
I love the way an S class looks, it does look the business and the interior is quite 'clean' (devoid of buttons) so I do like it for that, however, once I started driving it, there was no comparison, the 7 feels like a lovely luxury drivers car and still a bit sporty, the S felt dead to me. In the back, I could happily be at ease in the S or 7 but the S tends to sell more L models over here in the UK and the 7 the SWB models, this may be a reason. In any case the menu system on a Merc does my head in, I appreciate these things are ones that one can get used to but it certainly didn't feel intuitive to me.

I have now come to terms and actually like the fact that people just assume I'm in a 5 series unless they are 'geeks' and know the subtle differences, however, this lets one enjoy the 7 for what it is without drawing attention to oneself and anytime you want to open it up a bit and enjoy the road or help the next car remember that there is indeed quite a bit of horsepower under the hood (bonnet) then you can!

Safe travels, hope you can get the camera settings sorted to be automatic for you.

Please do continue to post your thoughts as you notice any differences with time, always interesting to hear others views!

Oh, by the way: a lovely ride you have there! I'm not much of a black on black person but they do look the part!
      07-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
My wife put it this way: "I'd rather be a passenger in a Mercedes but I'd rather drive a BMW." This was from someone who drives a MB (E wagon; if BMW brought over 5 series wagons, she (and I) would be one of the first in line).
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

I had Mercedes in past (C-, E-, S-) but BMW is way cooler and different vibe in BMWs
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
My wife put it this way: "I'd rather be a passenger in a Mercedes but I'd rather drive a BMW." This was from someone who drives a MB (E wagon; if BMW brought over 5 series wagons, she (and I) would be one of the first in line).

Wow,

Never thought of it that way but well said.

I just came from a 15 S550 to an 18 750 and
this point is very true