BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Problem after Hood Repaint

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My hood was repainted.

I get into my car and notice that circled in the photo attached.

I show it to the shop owner. He says he didn’t do anything to the underside of the hood, making it seem as if it must’ve been there before. I’m adamant it wasn’t. He says to come back in a month, that he’s busy at this time and that nothing will happen in the interim, as the hood is aluminum.

I don’t mind coming back, but WTF? Heat from the baking process caused paint on the underside of the hood to shed? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Anyone know what a proper solution might be? Shop owner stated he’d have someone take a BRUSH (yes, a BRUSH!?) and paint it!? G-d.

The color in this area is matte black; not the color of the car.

Please help.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Argh; just realized I posted in this thread; sorry G12 owners.

If any insight from prior cars, please let me know. :|
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Hey man, that's just polish residue left from the shop buffing it out.
Just wipe it with a wet cloth and it comes off.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Hey man, that's just polish residue left from the shop buffing it out.
Just wipe it with a wet cloth and it comes off.
I'm not so sure; I believe it's still flaking off, as shop confirmed.

Will have to double check.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

My parked car was hit and shop had to repaint. It took three tries because it would not blend or cure correctly. It did not flake at all. But it had strange lines. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

:|
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
My hood was repainted.

I get into my car and notice that circled in the photo attached.

I show it to the shop owner. He says he didn’t do anything to the underside of the hood, making it seem as if it must’ve been there before. I’m adamant it wasn’t. He says to come back in a month, that he’s busy at this time and that nothing will happen in the interim, as the hood is aluminum.

I don’t mind coming back, but WTF? Heat from the baking process caused paint on the underside of the hood to shed? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Anyone know what a proper solution might be? Shop owner stated he’d have someone take a BRUSH (yes, a BRUSH!?) and paint it!? G-d.

The color in this area is matte black; not the color of the car.

Please help.

Thank you.
Well, I have had four (4) f02 over the years. Every damn one developed a sag on the hood, drivers side, 8 inches away from the windshield and 4 inches from the left edge (from sitting in the car).

The first time BMW got me a new hood. The second car surprised me, I left it alone.
The third card cemented my suspicions that the sag develops from heat (it looks like a minor dent done with your fist)
The fourth car Shane on me. Sure enough it fully developed into a sag/dent during the first year.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, I have had four (4) f02 over the years. Every damn one developed a sag on the hood, drivers side, 8 inches away from the windshield and 4 inches from the left edge (from sitting in the car).

The first time BMW got me a new hood. The second car surprised me, I left it alone.
The third card cemented my suspicions that the sag develops from heat (it looks like a minor dent done with your fist)
The fourth car Shane on me. Sure enough it fully developed into a sag/dent during the first year.
Holy cow; I noticed this on my car too. This thread doesn't regard same, but I noticed what you're describing and asked the POS body shop to fix same, which they didn't. Do you have photos of what you're referring to, so I can confirm. I always thought this was done due to a dealers stupidity in not installing the engine cover correctly and shutting the hood with the cover not seated right, causing the opposite of a dent - a pop up on the hood. You're referring to more of a depression, though?

As far as my instant matter:

Shop foreman mentioned I should reach out to corporate to see if there's any corrosion warranty on the car, so I called corporate and they had not heard of same.

Any thoughts on this being covered by same? I feel like our cars should be covered by some sort of corrosion warranty.
Appreciate 0