BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Coolant smell

I’ve had a slight smell of coolant in the car for the first minute or two the last two times I’ve driven it. Very subtle and lasts only a minute or two.

Other factors are that (a) it’s been several days in between operation where it’s been sitting, and (b) it’s been warmer and the a/c might be involved.

Any thoughts whether it’s an issue or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Is their any evidence of any coolant leaking? Drips on the drive/garage floor? May need to remove the undertray. But as it goes away fairly quickly I would be inclined to think there's no issue.

Just do what my wife does.

Strange smell - turn on Ambient Air and open the window

Strange sound - turn up the stereo.

Hence she doesn't drive the G12. 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

I felt around - no evidence of wet. I had a heater core issue years ago with a car so I know where to look.

Thx for the thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

I've read that the turbo coolant lines commonly leak, and it can evaporate quickly, making troubleshooting the source a little trickier. Not sure if you've explored this or read up on it at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I've read that the turbo coolant lines commonly leak, and it can evaporate quickly, making troubleshooting the source a little trickier. Not sure if you've explored this or read up on it at all.
This. Extremely common problem with the N63.
      03-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

I had a coolant smell inside the car and I also felt hot air coming though the vents. Ended up being a turbo coolant leak. Happened around 55k miles. BMW wanted over 5 grand to fix it.

Good luck. No offense to the 7 fanboys on here but the car is not only the ultimate driving machine but also the ultimate unreliable machine!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
I had a coolant smell inside the car and I also felt hot air coming though the vents. Ended up being a turbo coolant leak. Happened around 55k miles. BMW wanted over 5 grand to fix it.

Good luck. No offense to the 7 fanboys on here but the car is not only the ultimate driving machine but also the ultimate unreliable machine!
Anyone that doesn't have a top-notch independent mechanic on deck once their Bimmer is out of warranty is asking for trouble.

Our guy saved us about 40% off what the dealer would charge on our old Range Rover. As a bonus he'd let us buy the parts ourselves online for added savings.

If you want a cheap car to maintain get a Honda or Toyota. The added performance and prestige does come at a price.
      03-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post

Anyone that doesn't have a top-notch independent mechanic on deck once their Bimmer is out of warranty is asking for trouble.

Our guy saved us about 40% off what the dealer would charge on our old Range Rover. As a bonus he'd let us buy the parts ourselves online for added savings.

If you want a cheap car to maintain get a Honda or Toyota. The added performance and prestige does come at a price.
While I agree that expensive repairs are to be expected for a car of this Caliber, I find it inexcusable for a major issue like a 5 thousand dollar coolant leak to occur at 50k miles.

Nearing 100k? Sure that is definitely to be expected.

This kind of shit doesn't really happen at this mileage in other comparable cars ie the S class or A8. Heck even the new quattroporte seems to be more mechanically reliable.
Appreciate 0