BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

I've just put two brand new cartridges in the car.

Don't seem to get any smell and this is the image I get when selecting a cartridge. I've checked both are seated correctly and it recognises what they are. So I am assuming they're correct.

I bought them from a BMW dealer so they're genuine.

This is the image I get yet the manual in the iDrive says it is supposed to show the full level. It was the same image when I removed the previous cartridges.

Oddly though the Touch Command shows it as it should??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post

Don't seem to get any smell and this is the image I get when selecting a cartridge. I've checked both are seated correctly and it recognises what they are. So I am assuming they're correct.

This is the image I get yet the manual in the iDrive says it is supposed to show the full level. It was the same image when I removed the previous cartridges.

Level is the strength my guy.
They aren't made to be a perfume,
They really are a very light smell to them and you'll really only notice it after leaving the car and coming back in.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      01-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Quote:

Level is the strength my guy.
They aren't made to be a perfume,
They really are a very light smell to them and you'll really only notice it after leaving the car and coming back in.
Hi,

Thanks. I was more referring to that I don't get the display on the iDrive like I do on the touch command.

Whereas in the operating instructions/user manual it says it should have a fill level displayed.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks. I was more referring to that I don't get the display on the iDrive like I do on the touch command.

Whereas in the operating instructions/user manual it says it should have a fill level displayed.

Do you have a link or photo of the owners manual and where it says this?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740I_yeye View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Do you have a link or photo of the owners manual and where it says this?
This is from the Official BMW drivers guide which is linked to my chassis via BMW connect. The wording is the same on the owners manual in the iDrive in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
This is from the Official BMW drivers guide which is linked to my chassis via BMW connect. The wording is the same on the owners manual in the iDrive in the car.
As I've said there is no level of how much is left.
It's not a bottle of perfume it's a little bit of cloth soaked in the scent.
How in the world could they even measure it.

The "level" is the strength of the scent. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And as I've said there is supposed to be a level displayed

If you look at the touch command screenshots I posted. That shows the image you should see on the iDrive. As the scent is used then the level on that display drops. Eg if the scent was half used the top half of the bottle image would be black.

I know the difference between a 'strength' level and a fill level. The manual clearly states it should show a fill level.

This video from BMW shows the image that should be seen on the iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

If you look at the touch command screenshots I posted. That shows the image you should see on the iDrive. As the scent is used then the level on that display drops. Eg if the scent was half used the top half of the bottle image would be black.

I know the difference between a 'strength' level and a fill level. The manual clearly states it should show a fill level.

Have you checked your idrive for any updates? I would say you should ask them if they can update your system next time you go in for a service
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Have you checked your idrive for any updates? I would say you should ask them if they can update your system next time you go in for a service
I have asked about that. They said they only update normally if there is an issue as you can also lose functions.

I'm waiting on the BMW Genius Tech or whatever he's called to get back to me about a software update. He seems to think from my email that they all look like that in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have asked about that. They said they only update normally if there is an issue as you can also lose functions.

I'm waiting on the BMW Genius Tech or whatever he's called to get back to me about a software update. He seems to think from my email that they all look like that in the UK.
They updated my system to stay on idrive 5 but so that I can get the auto closing folding mirrors, if its a case of design then it might be a complete different software like ID6. What software are you on right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They updated my system to stay on idrive 5 but so that I can get the auto closing folding mirrors, if its a case of design then it might be a complete different software like ID6. What software are you on right now?
I'm on ID6 I believe.

This is the current info. I've got the latest map coming on USB as for some reason I can't download it. Not sure if the map update includes any software updates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm on ID6 I believe.

This is the current info. I've got the latest map coming on USB as for some reason I can't download it. Not sure if the map update includes any software updates.
What year is your car? I would say you should maybe check out some cars with ID6 with ambient air in your nearest dealer and see what they look like? If your car isnt ID6 then it would make sense if it didnt have it but I'm not too sure tbh.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #13
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm on ID6 I believe.

What year is your car? I would say you should maybe check out some cars with ID6 with ambient air in your nearest dealer and see what they look like? If your car isnt ID6 then it would make sense if it didnt have it but I'm not too sure tbh.
My car is a MY18 car. It's definitely ID6.

You can see the difference here and my iDrive is the same as the bottom image.

The BMW Genius tech bloke emailed this afternoon and said he's going to check some other cars and get back to me. In fairness he's being really good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The BMW Genius tech bloke emailed this afternoon and said he's going to check some other cars and get back to me. In fairness he's being really good.
Hopefully they can fix it for you! I'm the same when it comes to my car, causes me some real stress sometimes lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #15
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully they can fix it for you! I'm the same when it comes to my car, causes me some real stress sometimes lol!
It's more that I'm OCD and it will bug me if it should display a different image
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So today, due to another issue my car software was updated by my local dealer to the version in the pics

For those who doubted the fill level of the ambient air cartridges are displayed. Have a look at the difference in the two pictures. You can clearly see cartridge 2 is full and cartridge 1 has some used.

Anyway I'm happy now. And the smell actually works. Didn't see anything else new but haven't really looked through the settings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #17
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

awesome!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #18
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just to illustrate how the iDrive should work (and mine now does after the software update)

You can see the difference in the indicated levels of the scents in the bottle image on the right of the text.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0