BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Satnav woes resolved by dealer.

I had an issue recently where my Satnav wasn't updating (at least I thought it wasn't).

The master tech of the dealership I bought my car from sent me a USB with the satnav update on. This got to 7% then a message saying 'data on USB unusable. Please reinsert USB and try again'.

I tried the update again and got same message so this time clicked cancel. However the USB had corrupted the iDrive and the 'data on USB is unusable' message kept popping up every 10 secs. No matter what mode I was in and despite the fact the USB wasn't inserted.

Long story short. Dealer should never have supplied the USB as the car had updated OTA. The message I thought was an update was telling me the update was applied. Not that it needed applying. Had the 'Master Tech' checked he would have seen on his system that my car had the latest mapping.

I complained to BMW UK and over the last 24hrs they have done a sterling job to get my car in to the local dealership. Local dealer tried to update Satnav themselves however couldn't due to the corrupted software. So had to reinstall the software to the latest version, including the Satnav.

So after 9hrs in the workshop I got the car back with the mapping and software versions you see in the pics.

It also sorted out issues I was having with my Ambient Air & Auto Start Stop.

At least now I can use my iDrive again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Guys in the US and Europe are lucky as you receive your maps updates regularly and for free OTA. Here in Canada I have to bring the car to the dealer and pay a couple of hundred dollars to get an update!

What's wrong with you BMW???? Why the different treatment for different countries? It's not like our cars are cheaper than the rest, in fact we pay more than the US....

Sorry guys in the US, nothing against you.....

RaptorStrike, I'm glad your issues are resolved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
I had an issue recently where my Satnav wasn't updating (at least I thought it wasn't).

The master tech of the dealership I bought my car from sent me a USB with the satnav update on. This got to 7% then a message saying 'data on USB unusable. Please reinsert USB and try again'.

I tried the update again and got same message so this time clicked cancel. However the USB had corrupted the iDrive and the 'data on USB is unusable' message kept popping up every 10 secs. No matter what mode I was in and despite the fact the USB wasn't inserted.

Long story short. Dealer should never have supplied the USB as the car had updated OTA. The message I thought was an update was telling me the update was applied. Not that it needed applying. Had the 'Master Tech' checked he would have seen on his system that my car had the latest mapping.

I complained to BMW UK and over the last 24hrs they have done a sterling job to get my car in to the local dealership. Local dealer tried to update Satnav themselves however couldn't due to the corrupted software. So had to reinstall the software to the latest version, including the Satnav.

So after 9hrs in the workshop I got the car back with the mapping and software versions you see in the pics.

Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Guys in the US and Europe are lucky as you receive your maps updates regularly and for free OTA. Here in Canada I have to bring the car to the dealer and pay a couple of hundred dollars to get an update!

What's wrong with you BMW???? Why the different treatment for different countries? It's not like our cars are cheaper than the rest, in fact we pay more than the US....

Sorry guys in the US, nothing against you.....

RaptorStrike, I'm glad your issues are resolved...

Quote:

Moopai, what age is your car?

Do you not get 3yrs of map updates from when the car was new?

My car is only 2yrs old so still has free updates until end of this year. Hence getting updated.

It was also a blessing in disguise for me with the software update sorting other issues I was having with the Ambient Air and Start Stop system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Mine is a 2016, it will be 4 years next April. I still have the original warranty on it and I don't get any updates....

Quote:

My car is only 2yrs old so still has free updates until end of this year. Hence getting updated.

It was also a blessing in disguise for me with the software update sorting other issues I was having with the Ambient Air and Start Stop system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Mine is a 2016, it will be 4 years next April. I still have the original warranty on it and I don't get any updates....

Quote:

We (UK) only get 3yrs of updates. I don't think anyone gets anymore.

You would need to pay for BMW Connected Drive now to get the map updates. It will be the same for me after this year.

These are UK store links but you should be able to get the same in the Canadian store.

Connected Package Plus will give you USB only updates.

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...age_Plus_Store

Connected Package Professional will give you either USB or OTA Map updates

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...essional_Store
Appreciate 0