BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Mknight
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i

2016 740i OBD2 Code P05AE Lower Active Air Flap

Hello

Last week my check engine light came on. I connected my scanner and got Code P05AE Lower Active Air Flap. Took the car to BMW Dealer. They replaced the lower air flap assembly and also replaced a corroded connector.
After 2 days check engine light came back on. I connected my scanner and got the same code P05AE. I took the car to a different BMW Dealer and just picked up the car today. And here is a synopsis of findings and repair.
They performed Short Test and found Code 138203 (lower active flap control). They also performed Test Plan AT1214-BX8-KJ and found lower active flap faulty. Per the test plan and diognostic code D1150-00000000-40-001 both upper and lower active air flap's replaced togethor.
There was no fault code for the upper active air flap but per BMW anytime there is a active air flap fault code both should be replaced togethor.
I'm just happy the car is still under warranty other wise the repair bill would have been almost north of $1500.00
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

This fault is so common that on newer Istep versions the check engine light doesnt even come on for this error.

BMW has extended warranty on air flaps on G30/G11/G12 as they have such a hight failing rate.
Appreciate 0