BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Driver's seat question

I have set my seat position and stored it in memory position 1. I have activated my driver profile etc. I moved the seat back yesterday to take out the mat for cleaning (beige is hard to keep clean). I locked the car. When I unlocked it today the seat just stayed in the pushed back position. I expected it to move forward as I have the 'Last seat position automatic' box ticked under the driver profile options. This is what it says in the manual:

'When the vehicle is unlocked, the driver's seat and exterior mirrors are adjusted to their last set positions. The last position setting is independent of the positions saved via the seat memory.'

What does that mean? I can't understand it. Surely the seat will already be in it's last set position? Does this mean that it just leaves it where it was? If so what's the purpose of this option? I must be missing something. Basically I just want the seat to return to the position stored in memory when I unlock the car. Is that possible?

Many thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I have set my seat position and stored it in memory position 1. I have activated my driver profile etc. I moved the seat back yesterday to take out the mat for cleaning (beige is hard to keep clean). I locked the car. When I unlocked it today the seat just stayed in the pushed back position. I expected it to move forward as I have the 'Last seat position automatic' box ticked under the driver profile options. This is what it says in the manual:

'When the vehicle is unlocked, the driver's seat and exterior mirrors are adjusted to their last set positions. The last position setting is independent of the positions saved via the seat memory.'

What does that mean? I can't understand it. Surely the seat will already be in it's last set position? Does this mean that it just leaves it where it was? If so what's the purpose of this option? I must be missing something. Basically I just want the seat to return to the position stored in memory when I unlock the car. Is that possible?

Yes, it leaves it where it was rather than choose one of the positions stored in the memory as it wouldn’t know which one to choose. The purpose of the feature is that it remembers the last position for that key....so if someone else drove the car using the other key and then you unlocked it with yours, it would move it back to your last used position. In this case, ready to remove the mats again!

I move mine back to remove the mats, just one press of the memory button while the door is open puts in back in place.

I’d also suggest getting black mats. I think they work well with the light carpets and will look better than a dirty beige mat.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Good point but the beige does look good when clean. I think I get what you mean re the seats. So if I don’t tick the last seat position automatic box then the seat will not go back to my last position after someone else uses it. It’s a bit confusing!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:13 AM   #4
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

I have ivory/black now, but have had ivory/beige in the past on a Jag, and do the same for all combinations. Make sure mats are perfectly clean, or as clean as you want them, and then spray both sides with 2 or 3 coats of scotchguard - to the point of saturation - uses 2 cans for a set of 4 mats.

I also do all the carpets the same, the seats and headlining too, however you MUST wear a Full face respirator when doing this, as scotchguard is extremely dangerous if inhaled - ie. death!!

I have never had a problem getting mats back to perfect after applying this.

Last edited by Markr; 05-25-2020 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:39 AM   #5
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Good point but the beige does look good when clean. I think I get what you mean re the seats. So if I don’t tick the last seat position automatic box then the seat will not go back to my last position after someone else uses it. It’s a bit confusing!
Yes, it’s all about the profiles, which you link the key to. So you could use the same key but switch profile and it would put all the settings back to how you had them. It’s not just the seat, there are loads of things store in your profile from the settings to displays etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

When you moved the seat back to clean the mat...then locked the car...THAT was the last seat position for the key profile. So when you UNLOCKED the car it stayed in the “moved back” position...again because that was the last position the seat was in when you used that key.

What does this mean?
The above means that wherever you leave the front seat...if you lock the vehicle...that’s where the seat will be when you unlock it. BUT...if you have programmed a SEAT MEMORY (button)...when the seat has been moved by you or another driver that borrowed the car or someone working on the car that needed to move the seat...you can PRESS the programmed SEAT MEMORY button and the seat and mirror and steering wheel will return to the position that you programmed. This is what you could have done after you moved the seat to clean the mat. If you had pressed the #1 seat memory button...it would have moved the seat back to your preferred position... then you could have locked the car.

Again, the remote key PROFILE and the SEAT MEMORY button are independent of each other...for the scenario you just described. If your seat gets moved and the car is locked etc. with the remote by you or another driver...you can retrieve your seat/mirror/steering wheel settings by using the seat memory button.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-25-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0