BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

01-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #1
pcgeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i7 xd60, Rivian R1S

Theater screen - useful or gimmick?

I'm getting ready to put in an order (or search inventory) for an i7 and I have most of my must-haves/wants sorted out but the big one I'm on the fence about is the screen.

For those of you with it (and without young kids), do you find yourself using it at all? The only use case I can think of for me would be maybe when charging to relax in back and watch something on the screen but I don't road-trip enough where that matters much.

On the negative side, it obscures a big chunk of the glass roof, protrudes down into the cabin a bit and is one more thing that is likely to break.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:58 AM   #2
Andrey K
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 7 g70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek View Post
I'm getting ready to put in an order (or search inventory) for an i7 and I have most of my must-haves/wants sorted out but the big one I'm on the fence about is the screen.

For those of you with it (and without young kids), do you find yourself using it at all? The only use case I can think of for me would be maybe when charging to relax in back and watch something on the screen but I don't road-trip enough where that matters much.

On the negative side, it obscures a big chunk of the glass roof, protrudes down into the cabin a bit and is one more thing that is likely to break.
no use except kids, but they mostly prefer their mobile devices. Moreover theres some issues with connected drive and personal esim installation
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 04:19 PM   #3
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

I have it but never use it but it is a wow factor when showing friends the car. No kids no public charging? No reason really. It just happened to be in the used spec I bought fully loaded. Was a bonus but not mandatory. The Diamond stereo and power doors however are definitely mandatory!

Tv is gonna break guaranteed. Or melt if the sunroof is always open. Novelty.
Appreciate 1
darylp310974.00
      01-17-2024, 07:18 PM   #4
pltan75
Rep
Drives: ‘23 I7 / ‘23 M5C / Z4 / X5 40e

It's starting to look like a novelty to me at this point. A lot of poor implementation.....and a lack of features that should be built-in. For example, the inability to play video files from a thumb drive/portable hard drive...I don't know how BMW didn't include this :?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 08:21 PM   #5
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Although I opted NOT to include a theater screen in my factory-ordered i7 (picked up in November), my opinion might matter.

I felt the only justification for it was that my ex might enjoy it during a long road trip. However, she specifically said she definitely didn't want or wouldn't use it. And heck, I'D be driving so I wouldn't be using it while moving... Also, for the relatively short amount of time you might be stopped at a DC/fast charger, one could perhaps more easily access screens or content on one's cell phones or an iPad (via the phone's hotspot) if any real need was felt instead of the more typical scenario of using a bathroom, getting a bite to eat, or just stretching your legs and getting some fresh air instead. And lastly, it seems all I've ever read about here have either been about the lack of or unreliable eSim compatibility, folks opting to use Roku or Chromecast devices with it to circumvent the wonky armrest screen remotes, or complaints about rearview blocking or general malfunctions. All of it combined seemed like WAY more hassle than any party-trick coolness from owning it could possibly have invoked and clearly not worth the extra $4,750.

On a SIMILAR note, I'm a little chagrined that I paid $995 for the humdrum Panoramic Sky Lounge Roof (not standard on my eDrive50), so there's still that indictment of me. Oh well, live and learn.

In fairness however, if you have deep pockets and don't mind paying for any of the extras, why deny or subject yourself to any what-if? situation when you've already purchased a 6-digit priced car? Bugs might be worked out and SOME enjoyment might be obtained at some point. Otherwise, I was born frugal and made a wise decision by passing on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 08:24 PM   #6
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i G70 & 2020 M8C F91

Ah, the G70 theater screen – impressive for show and tell, but not very practical. During long trips, both kids and adults tend to retreat to their own digital devices (phones and iPads).

I echo the sentiments of others who have mentioned this. It isn't that useful and it feels like carrying dead weight. The implementation seems poor, and connecting it to other devices can be challenging.

It seems more geared towards showcasing rather than actual utility.

If I can go back, I would prefer not to have it at all.

Last edited by aosman; 01-17-2024 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 02:40 AM   #7
Andrey K
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 7 g70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
Although I opted NOT to include a theater screen in my factory-ordered i7 (picked up in November), my opinion might matter.

I felt the only justification for it was that my ex might enjoy it during a long road trip. However, she specifically said she definitely didn't want or wouldn't use it. And heck, I'D be driving so I wouldn't be using it while moving... Also, for the relatively short amount of time you might be stopped at a DC/fast charger, one could perhaps more easily access screens or content on one's cell phones or an iPad (via the phone's hotspot) if any real need was felt instead of the more typical scenario of using a bathroom, getting a bite to eat, or just stretching your legs and getting some fresh air instead. And lastly, it seems all I've ever read about here have either been about the lack of or unreliable eSim compatibility, folks opting to use Roku or Chromecast devices with it to circumvent the wonky armrest screen remotes, or complaints about rearview blocking or general malfunctions. All of it combined seemed like WAY more hassle than any party-trick coolness from owning it could possibly have invoked and clearly not worth the extra $4,750.

On a SIMILAR note, I'm a little chagrined that I paid $995 for the humdrum Panoramic Sky Lounge Roof (not standard on my eDrive50), so there's still that indictment of me. Oh well, live and learn.

In fairness however, if you have deep pockets and don't mind paying for any of the extras, why deny or subject yourself to any what-if? situation when you've already purchased a 6-digit priced car? Bugs might be worked out and SOME enjoyment might be obtained at some point. Otherwise, I was born frugal and made a wise decision by passing on it.

all my thoughts but most detailed in your message
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 07:27 AM   #8
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Every morning my granddaughter sleeps over at my home, she want to go somewhere, usually Starbucks, because she wants to watch a movie in the car.

She loves being able to see movies and she talks about it all the time and always tells Mommy she wants to go to Grandpa to see the movies in the car. She usually watches Gabby's Doll House.

They could have charged me $5,000 for the screen and I would have paid it. To see her face when she looks up at me with those beautiful little eyes and says "Grandpa, can we go to the store and watch a movie in the gray car".

Last edited by Lovin7er; 01-18-2024 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2024, 03:28 PM   #9
AVandelay
Ranking Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 760i // X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post

They could have charged me $5,000 for the screen and I would have paid it. To see her face when she looks up at me with those beautiful little eyes and says "Grandpa, can we go to the store and watch a movie in the gray car".
They Did!

It's a $4,750 option + tax
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:30 PM   #10
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVandelay View Post
They Did!

It's a $4,750 option + tax
That’s funny, you see how much I pay attention to the option costs. Oops! Anyway, you get my point!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:17 PM   #11
bnzvett1
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I just started looking into getting an i7, but I currently have a Tesla Model S. When I first got the Tesla, my wife and I would pick up some takeout and go to Supercharge. While charging we would watch a movie on Netflix. We haven't done that in a while because the car seems to charge too quick to allow us to finish a meal. I guess I could slow down the charging, but the stations are pretty busy around here and I don't want to take up a spot for that extra time unnecessarily. Hard to believe that after all the complaints about EV charging times, I actually enjoyed the longer times. If I end up selecting the i7, I will definitely get the tv and use the slower chargers to give us more time to watch the movie and have dinner from some new takeout spot.

I know you are saying he must be a big spender and a romantic for taking his wife on such a luxurious date in the back seat of a car with some takeout, but you will be surprised just how many brownie points you get for just trying it once.
Appreciate 0