BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Starter issue?

So today after a 20min drive to the store went back to the car and the car just wouldnt start, along with it was a message "Engine Start not possible" - Starting system failiure.

Since my car is '16 being a 2 year warranty expired last year, and the dealer was not helpfull at all, since this cars have a big problem not being able to switch to neutral if the engine does not run, only way to put it into neutral was to lift the car, remove the entire underbody and with bmw special tools pull the hook to engage neutral. Acter calling several towing companys noone was able to move the car I had to call the city tow company with the big tow to lift the car and take into service.

After running codes there is and error "Starter pionion open circuit"

I just cant belive that on a 3 year old car a starter has gone bad. Seems like this cars are made to last throughout warranty period and then you are stuck with a big headache.

Shop will take the starter down and test the connection and possibly bench test it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Nightmare, the whole faff around putting a dead BMW with an auto box into neutral is daft they should have a better system.

The 7er has plenty of ghosts and niggles which is a pity as they are magnificent cars when working.
      12-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
mrgicm
Captain
Rep

So an update, the starter was fine as tested on the bench but it turned out the previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm that I was not aware of that somehow disabels the igniton system, took that all out and the car runs fine now. Thats what I get when not buying new
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      12-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
So an update, the starter was fine as tested on the bench but it turned out the previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm that I was not aware of that somehow disabels the igniton system, took that all out and the car runs fine now. Thats what I get when not buying new
This is of course good news even though it must have been crazy for you. Strange to install an aftermarket alarm in a car that already has an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
mrgicm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
This is of course good news even though it must have been crazy for you. Strange to install an aftermarket alarm in a car that already has an alarm.
In Europe in some countries the inaurance is at lower rate if you have an aftermarket alarm as well, so I guess that is one of the reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
In Europe in some countries the inaurance is at lower rate if you have an aftermarket alarm as well, so I guess that is one of the reasons.
Still bizarre.

If the car has a factory alarm why install an aftermarket alarm and risk introducing unwanted problems?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Still bizarre.

If the car has a factory alarm why install an aftermarket alarm and risk introducing unwanted problems?
Mainly because of the little oiks that can easily circumvent the factory alarm systems.

There has been a spate of thefts recently in the UK of cars with Keyless Go. So having a secondary alarm that cuts the car or stops it being driven altogether is often a requirement for some insurance companies.

Also as mentioned certain alarm system (Autowatch Ghost for example) will lower your insurance premium with some companies.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      12-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
mrgicm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
Mainly because of the little oiks that can easily circumvent the factory alarm systems.

There has been a spate of thefts recently in the UK of cars with Keyless Go. So having a secondary alarm that cuts the car or stops it being driven altogether is often a requirement for some insurance companies.

Also as mentioned certain alarm system (Autowatch Ghost for example) will lower your insurance premium with some companies.
You are right! That is the reason.
Appreciate 0