BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Adaptive lights quirks

I've noticed that lately more vehicles on the road with tail lights placed higher up the vehicle than previously and also more cars having thinner 'ribbons' of tail lights than in the past...while these look good in some cases and obviously higher up generally means that they are seen better (than too low)...it does have an effect on the adaptive lights 'seeing' the vehicle in front from my experience.

Anyone else notice that the adaptive lights don't recognise a Land Rover Discovery (latest models) or some of the newer Ford Transit type 'white panel vans' with such high rear tail lights (especially one brand that is a thin vertical strip that curves to the inside at the top on each side)...both of those and some newer 7.5T lorries just seem to mess up the adaptive lights.

The behaviour I see is that the light will focus on the vehicle rear (centre) instead of to the side of the road where it should be...it works fine with all other vehicles but specifically a few vehicles it just doesn't 'see' them so focusses as if they are not there (and then you have to manually turn the automatic high beam/adaptive beam off until they are no longer in front of you).

I drive quite a bit at night and mostly longer journeys and have only noticed this in the last month or so with these vehicles...if the vehicle has wider rear tail lights (rectangular and all red) it still seems to see those, just these thin lights or Disco's that it misses completely!

Wound up upsetting a highways agency vehicle in a Disco recently when the lights didn't detect the vehicle and have been watching ever since.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour? Any other quirks you noticed?

(in case it matters, adaptive and laser lights on mine).

Safe travels.
      12-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I've seen similar behaviour. Sometimes it just doeasn't automatically dim or swing sideways fast enough. For this reason, I don't use it as much.