BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Hello from UK & some advice pre-purchase

Good evening,

New to the forum and have joined to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice.

My name is Carl and I am from the UK but currently working overseas. I am about to buy a MY2018 740Ld Exclusive xDrive in Magellan Grey. It is 2yrs old but only has just over 11k miles on the clock.

It has the following optional extras as have been sent the chassis printout that details the options fitted. I think I'm reading it right as next to each of these it says Option or Package. The rest say AG 100% or Sb 100%

2TB - Sport Auto Transmission
407 - Sky Lounge Panoramic Sunroof
453 - Seat Ventilation
5AZ - BMW Laserlights
6CP - Apple CarPlay
6U9 - BMW Touch Command
688 - Harman Kardon Speakers
420 - Sun Protection Glass
NACY - Canberra Beige Nappa seats
610 - Head Up Display
7S5 - Pure Excellence interior
27Z - 20" High Gloss polished wheels
4NM - Ambient Air
ZAP - Advance Parking Package

It also has the fancy comfort seats in the rear but not sure if that was standard or part of a pack.

I have put the deposit down and will test drive it when I return back to the UK the week after next. Assuming all is well I will drive it home that day.

My question is are there any tips regarding things I should look out for. I have asked that the ID6 software is up to date which has been promised it will be. How would I check?

Also I was concerned about the battery condition given the age and low mileage but allegedly it had a new battery two weeks ago.

I am not expecting much if anything to be wrong on a £100k car given such low mileage. But any advice is greatly appreciated.

Other than that I am looking forwards to driving it. My last couple of cars & current have been Mercedes so this will make a nice change.

Regards

Carl

Last edited by RaptorStrike; 12-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Title spelling.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum. I have same MY from new, but 740d xDrive M Sport and now on 14k miles, with no issues at all. Assuming you are buying from a main dealer, I would ask to see the service and warranty history, as that will tell you if the car has had any issues, and at the very least should show the battery replacement, as that would have been under warranty. I would also get them to fill up the adblue - small value, but saves you doing it, as I understand they only fill up at a service if the warning message is on - unless you instruct otherwise.

Mine is calling for its first service in Jan and is still on its first lot of adblue.

Hope the test drive goes well.

Regards
Mark.
      12-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Morning Mark,

It is indeed a main dealer I am buying from. Will ask to see the service and warranty history. Thanks for the heads up re the AB also. I forgot about that as my current car is a EU5 spec.

Regards

Carl
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi RaptorStrike, welcome to the 7 forum and the 7 series.

They're lovely cars and you should have very little issues with the car given the low mileage and diesel engine that has generally been bombproof.

I've only got the 730d (16 reg) which is roughly the same engine obviously but with 59k miles on it now and it has been great , I did have an A/C compressor issue that was exchanged under warranty but that seems to have been something more associated with 15 and 16 models rather than later from what I have seen.

Do check the service history and ensure it is updated in the idrive menu as well and if still possible, ensure the car has service included for 5 years / 50k miles that was standard with the car when bought in the UK. (it could be deselected by dealers if they pre-registered it or someone wanted to save a very miserly £300 off the car price). The service included transfers to new owner so no issue that way. I think you can also simply check whether it is included by going to the BMW website and the service section and put the reg in to check if it is included or not.

Otherwise, enjoy, a lovely car and spec. Please do share your experiences and some pics if you are willing, always good to hear others views and what they love and hate!

Safe travels.
      12-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Hi RaptorStrike, welcome to the 7 forum and the 7 series.

They're lovely cars and you should have very little issues with the car given the low mileage and diesel engine that has generally been bombproof.

I've only got the 730d (16 reg) which is roughly the same engine obviously but with 59k miles on it now and it has been great , I did have an A/C compressor issue that was exchanged under warranty but that seems to have been something more associated with 15 and 16 models rather than later from what I have seen.

Do check the service history and ensure it is updated in the idrive menu as well and if still possible, ensure the car has service included for 5 years / 50k miles that was standard with the car when bought in the UK. (it could be deselected by dealers if they pre-registered it or someone wanted to save a very miserly £300 off the car price). The service included transfers to new owner so no issue that way. I think you can also simply check whether it is included by going to the BMW website and the service section and put the reg in to check if it is included or not.

Otherwise, enjoy, a lovely car and spec. Please do share your experiences and some pics if you are willing, always good to hear others views and what they love and hate!

Safe travels.
Morning Pelo Cat.

Thanks for the welcome.

Car is a 67 plate (Nov 17). So hopefully if there are any AC issues it will happen in the next year!

Car has the 5 yrs of service on it. Runs out in Nov 22 as it’s on the chassis printout the dealer sent me to look at.

Going to look at it on Weds and all being well will drive it home the same day. So will get some pics of it when I’ve got it. Will let you know my thoughts as I’ve got a 3hr drive home in it if i take it. So plenty of time to get used to it.

Looking forwards to it though.

Kind regards

Carl.
Appreciate 0