BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Is Glacier Silver gone for 2021?

Just tying to work on a build and do not see glacier silver as an option. If I’m correct, there are no true silver colors, just a bunch of different grays. That would be a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
uashruf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Glacier silver is no longer available as a standard color. I think one or two more colors are also no longer available.

Also no longer available are the laser headlights, the ambient air package, and the night vision. There is a thread on this, but I could not find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
No Azurite Black either. Don't know if these changes are permanent or Covid19 drive. Could be there isn't enough demand to warrant offering them even if some were extra cost options.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
No Azurite Black either. Don't know if these changes are permanent or Covid19 drive. Could be there isn't enough demand to warrant offering them even if some were extra cost options.
In my opinion, Azurite Black goes very well with this model. It does not make much sense to remove Glacier Silver and Azurite Black but keep colours like Aventurin Red and introduce colors like Phytonic Blue. Only they know what they up to, on what they based taking such decisions on, might be poor survey methods or maybe they want push those who want colours like Azurite Black to pay even more extra by opting for special order individual color. If it was just a case of not enough demand, logically, exterior colors like Aventurin Red and frozen colours like Frozen Bluestone would not have been there too because those are expected to be even in lesser demand. I do not think Covid-19 has anything to do with it too, else they temporarily would not have offered any individual color.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 07-28-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Just tying to work on a build and do not see glacier silver as an option. If I’m correct, there are no true silver colors, just a bunch of different grays. That would be a bummer.
Yep, it is a 'bummer' like you posted, and the current North America 2020 catalogue colour options are too limited for what should be for a flagship model - too many greys, few blacks, no proper silver, and the individual list is ridiculous for limousine-style car (not even a Citrin Black, Azurite Black or Ruby Black in there). I would not even recommend the Cashmere Silver if you looking for something like Glacier Silver because it looks more like a golden-champagne silver, dirty or 'rusting' silver or even a sort of beige in certain conditions. Special order seems to be the only way to get certain desired colours or colors close to them.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 07-28-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
Yep, it is a 'bummer' like you posted, and the current North America 2020 catalogue colour options are too limited for what should be for a flagship model - too many greys, few blacks, no proper silver, and the individual list is ridiculous for limousine-style car (not even a Citrin Black, Azurite Black or Ruby Black in there). I would not even recommend the Cashmere Silver if you looking for something like Glacier Silver because it looks more like a golden-champagne silver, dirty or 'rusting' silver or even a sort of beige in certain conditions. Special order seems to be the only way to get certain desired colours or colors close to them.

I still do not see frozen bluestone or phytonic blue on the USA build your own BMW website.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Why laser headlights are gone? BMW just introduced the laser lights to the new models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uashruf View Post
Glacier silver is no longer available as a standard color. I think one or two more colors are also no longer available.

Also no longer available are the laser headlights, the ambient air package, and the night vision. There is a thread on this, but I could not find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Why laser headlights are gone? BMW just introduced the laser lights to the new models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uashruf View Post

Stupid US regulations. They'll allow people to buy those cheesy aftermarket blue headlights for their 1998 Dodge that blind oncoming drivers, but laserlights are a no go.
      07-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Stupid US regulations. They'll allow people to buy those cheesy aftermarket blue headlights for their 1998 Dodge that blind oncoming drivers, but laserlights are a no go.
Not so. Laser is on my 2020, so they must have been approved. More likely is that at $1000 extra there wasn't enough demand. This is a strange way to proceed with the purported flagship of the line, which should have every option available for order. Night vision is another I have that now appears gone. The aroma system is gone too, but that is an option that doesn't affect the way you drive. Laser lights and night vision are safety enhancements IMO, and BMI has abandoned them.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Not so. Laser is on my 2020, so they must have been approved. More likely is that at $1000 extra there wasn't enough demand. This is a strange way to proceed with the purported flagship of the line, which should have every option available for order. Night vision is another I have that now appears gone. The aroma system is gone too, but that is an option that doesn't affect the way you drive. Laser lights and night vision are safety enhancements IMO, and BMI has abandoned them.
They were "approved" but only allowed to operate at about 40% power compared to EU units. The power fluctuation was causing early failures as they weren't designed to constantly run at half power.