BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 730D

Service Questions

Hoping someone can shed some light on cost related service questions.

I purchased my 730D (2016, approved used) last year with 47K miles on in, I'm upto 53000 now so past my free servicing.

I just got a quote for just over £600 for a service from BMW, the car is telling me oil service and vehicle check.

1. Shouldn't the vehicle check have been done already, as it's every 4 years or 36k miles?

2. Isn't the recommend servicing 18,000 miles or 2 years for the intervals?

3. I see the cheapest service is £158, with microfilter £282 and with fuel filter £438. I'm guessing they are giving me the big one this time although again shouldn't that have been done previously based on the mileage/age?

Any insights into the costings/intervals would be massively appreciated as I want to be sure that what they are telling me is correct.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Hi Steve,
BMW dealers are using long life oil which I personally do not like. You can ask any independent dealer to do the oil and the filter for less than that. Make sure they are able to log this into your eData book.
I will service my 740 at every 15k miles regardless of what BMW is asking. These cars have dynamic servicing according to driving style/pattern. I would never leave any of my car to be serviced at 18k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks mate, I've only done 6k miles in a year, but car is telling me it's due, I'm not sure that's very accurate but there we go.

I still have a years warranty on the car as well so I'm guessing if I get it serviced elsewhere then that might void the warranty?

Does it not matter that it has a full BMW service history anymore then, as long as the car says it's had a service?

Would you pay for the fuel filter as well, I'm just a bit miffed having purchased the car from AUC that the major service wasn't done recently and seemingly I need oil filter, fuel filter, the full works basically. Thanks for any advice and I may just get it serviced by an independent that I trust locally.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB730 View Post
Thanks mate, I've only done 6k miles in a year, but car is telling me it's due, I'm not sure that's very accurate but there we go.

I still have a years warranty on the car as well so I'm guessing if I get it serviced elsewhere then that might void the warranty?

Does it not matter that it has a full BMW service history anymore then, as long as the car says it's had a service?

Would you pay for the fuel filter as well, I'm just a bit miffed having purchased the car from AUC that the major service wasn't done recently and seemingly I need oil filter, fuel filter, the full works basically. Thanks for any advice and I may just get it serviced by an independent that I trust locally.

Steve,

I would only ask if the correct engine oil was used. Is asda oil is in that engine I'd walk away !Fuel filters are there for a reason.£52 from BMW which is not bad! On my previous S500 a fuel filter was £112.
The only thing i found to be expense is them damn cabin poller filters! Buy them after market not made in france. I'd always go for german stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7th View Post
Steve,

I would only ask if the correct engine oil was used. Is asda oil is in that engine I'd walk away !Fuel filters are there for a reason.£52 from BMW which is not bad! On my previous S500 a fuel filter was £112.
The only thing i found to be expense is them damn cabin poller filters! Buy them after market not made in france. I'd always go for german stuff.
Thanks mate. In the end I've booked in with BMW locally. Still have 1 years warranty so want to keep that.

Some major screw up at the garage though after reading the key, the car is reporting a large service required, even though its last service was the big one 2 years ago plus the vehicle check. So they agreed with me that engine oil and microfilter would be suitable this time and no vehicle check which is every 4 years. So that's £320 all in.

That means in 2022 when my next 2 years service approaches with approx 12,000 more miles on the clock, I'll need the big service at £530 which includes the vehicle check. By then my warranty is gone so I think I'll go to a local garage and purchase all the official parts myself and buy German like you recommend. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so bit of a service update for those interested. Turns out this has happened and I quote 'oil filter broken up inside oil filter housing, requires new oil filter housing' which is a warranty job. Apparently it's a 4 hour job, price on sheet listed as £372.52 (must be part only?). Glad I still have a year left on my warranty now!

Any idea if that's a known fault or what can cause that?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #7
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB730 View Post
Ok so bit of a service update for those interested. Turns out this has happened and I quote 'oil filter broken up inside oil filter housing, requires new oil filter housing' which is a warranty job. Apparently it's a 4 hour job, price on sheet listed as £372.52 (must be part only?). Glad I still have a year left on my warranty now!

Any idea if that's a known fault or what can cause that?

I am not aware if that is well known fault. I had asked my dealer as well and he said no. Could be a one off. Hope your car is now fine!
Glad you got the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7th View Post
I am not aware if that is well known fault. I had asked my dealer as well and he said no. Could be a one off. Hope your car is now fine!
Glad you got the warranty.
Thanks mate, it was replaced in the end, 6 hour job and of course free with the warranty, hate to think how much BMW service hourly rates are!

My service interval has gone back to 19000 miles or 2 years now so that's all been resolved too!
Appreciate 0