BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Ambient lighting

Has anyone else noticed that the lower ambient lighting strips on the doors are a bit patchy in terms of brightness? There are certain bits that are a lot brighter than other bits - below the door opening latches for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the lower ambient lighting strips on the doors are a bit patchy in terms of brightness? There are certain bits that are a lot brighter than other bits - below the door opening latches for example.
Owners of different BMW models have had this issue; it's amazing that BMW has had ambient lighting for a number of years but has not been able to correct this "design flaw." The plastic fiberoptic pipes are glued to the underlying surface and tend to have uneven lighting. If it bothers you a lot, you can have the pipes replaced; just know that a new one may not be perfect, either. My wife's X3 had this issue and I had the dealer replace the affected pipe--it fixed the patchiness, but now the light intensity tapers off toward the far end.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
snowmuch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Macan Turbo

Hows my look? I never paid attention to them

View post on imgur.com
      08-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

The light "break" is due to plastic fiberoptic being cracked in certain places, it is so thin and fragile if you push hard against the trim or if delaer needed to remove the trim for some reason it is likely that it cracked.

When you remove it you can see several lines where the light breaks.

This is an easy fix, you can order the plastic fiberoptics for the door trims separeatley and replace them, both lower and upper ones.

For the dash trim you can not buy the plastic fiveroptic separetley, only comes with the new trim piece.

It takes around 1 hour to replace all fiber optic on all 4 doors and make the interior light like new again. I did it on several cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:27 AM   #5
The7th
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

I had 2 of mine replaced under Warranty. These were damaged by the dealer by mistake.

mrgicm is right: if you push hard against them they may crack. Also please be careful when you wash yours cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #6
Mdanish4
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i | 2017 BMW 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
The light "break" is due to plastic fiberoptic being cracked in certain places, it is so thin and fragile if you push hard against the trim or if delaer needed to remove the trim for some reason it is likely that it cracked.

When you remove it you can see several lines where the light breaks.

This is an easy fix, you can order the plastic fiberoptics for the door trims separeatley and replace them, both lower and upper ones.

For the dash trim you can not buy the plastic fiveroptic separetley, only comes with the new trim piece.

It takes around 1 hour to replace all fiber optic on all 4 doors and make the interior light like new again. I did it on several cars.
Hi there.. old post.. i know i know..

quick question, where can I find the removal process for the plastic fiber optic? i mean do I have to remove the door panels?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:18 PM   #7
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Not sure anyone knows but instead of buying all the terms., you can get the LED modules and pipes from other models and likely make them work.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1735
Appreciate 0