BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Went on a test drive yesterday 2020 g12 and I have to say that I'm not really impressed with the LCI I currently have a 2016 and a 2018 750's xdrives only thing that I actually liked was the lil extra horsepower and torque was contemplating trading my16 for it but I'm kinda stuck with this decision because of three or four
little things and figured why not ask the guys here for there thoughts

FIRST complaint I really dislike idrive 7 not as simple in my opinion as 6 is seems to me like idrive 6 was better laid out but could just be me getting use to it

SECOND complaint I don't get why they got rid of the fog lamps I really like them on my current cars especially around dusk I put them on with the parking lights and no headlights on car looks amazing that way in my opinion

THIRD is and I know we're moving on to the future I guess but they eliminated the cd/dvd in the front now I know it's not safe to watch movies and drive !!! But I take road trip a lot me and the family and I always get the rear seat entertainment for the kiddies but the wife likes to watch a movie as well and I know I could download to a Usb and she can watch that way but guess I like having the option of dvd and Usb viewing

Ok LASTLY also they changed the software in the rear seat tablet to where it does even less than the original ones did and not to mention but now touch screens in the rear for a person like me who hates fingerprints on things I can see me now keeping a micro fiber towel on hand when ever someone's in the back seat !!!!

Now I know I'm nitt picking but for 140k shouldn't I be able to !!
      07-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

I would add that the new instrument cluster is not a step forward either. Thanks to the HUD it is not really all that important, but it is certainly not as easy on the eyes. And does not give any more information, everything is the same just different, busy and not exactly in a great way. I have been trying to like the ID7 and while it is OK I don't understand what is better about it. As far as I can tell, it is less visually appealing, less convenient to use.
My thinking is that it is v1.0 of the "new" interface, probably will get better in the next gens.
Why BMW drops the fog lights as a mystery to me as well. It does not save them all that much money, but it is sure great to have them.
Having CD player makes it more convenient to import CDs into the library. I use it all the time.
      07-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Personally I'm not a fan of the new instrument cluster, it looks stupid and from the 90s. GM had a van in the late 80s early 90s (I cannot remember the series) that had similar gauge model! As to the fog lights I think BMW is trying to be consistent with all models that have M-Sport Package. If we look at the M550, M340 the same story no fog lights...

My two cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiplatys View Post
I would add that the new instrument cluster is not a step forward either. Thanks to the HUD it is not really all that important, but it is certainly not as easy on the eyes. And does not give any more information, everything is the same just different, busy and not exactly in a great way. I have been trying to like the ID7 and while it is OK I don't understand what is better about it. As far as I can tell, it is less visually appealing, less convenient to use.
My thinking is that it is v1.0 of the "new" interface, probably will get better in the next gens.
Why BMW drops the fog lights as a mystery to me as well. It does not save them all that much money, but it is sure great to have them.
Having CD player makes it more convenient to import CDs into the library. I use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

If there is no obvious compelling reason to upgrade to LCI, why not wait for new 7 and hopefully see some real benefit in changing, after all, the LCI is really just a very minor tweak around the edges - nothing material. In the UK standard spec has been reduced, so to get same spec as pre-LCI adds quite a lot of ££.

If it was really only the extra HP you liked, why not spend a few hundred dollars on a tune - that may just scratch the itch!
      07-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #5
Bev7
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d

I had a new 740i from the dealer whilst my air on issue was sorted earlier this week. I really liked the engine and it was sublime to drive around in.

Didn’t like the dashboard layout and was happy to jump back in to mine. The 740i didn’t have the rear seat comfort package nor the tablet and looked pretty bland and basic.

It did have laser lights though ( mind doesn’t) and I think I would happily pay for the upgrade next time...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I have an '18 B7 and have also looked at the LCI early this year. Personally, I'm not a big fan of ID7 either. I had experienced using it twice on loaners and I just can't get the hang of it. It seems too cumbersome and tedious to use. I also do not like the new grill. I'll wait for the new 7 that may come out in a couple of years and also look at the new S class coming out later in the year.
      07-18-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Had a loaned 730d 2020 for 2 days and didn't like it at all. The instrument cluster looks like a Honda , hud was a bit small. Seats better, i7 a bit better with voice commands, steering about the same, more torque and it seems stable. I will not have this LCI model sorry.
My 18 is lovely and i love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
THIRD is and I know we're moving on to the future I guess but they eliminated the cd/dvd in the front now I know it's not safe to watch movies and drive !!! But I take road trip a lot me and the family and I always get the rear seat entertainment for the kiddies but the wife likes to watch a movie as well and I know I could download to a Usb and she can watch that way but guess I like having the option of dvd and Usb viewing
With the Rear seat entertainment you have access from the front seat to all rear seat inputs (All USB, HDMI, DVD/Bluray Player)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7th View Post
Had a loaned 730d 2020 for 2 days and didn't like it at all. The instrument cluster looks like a Honda , hud was a bit small. Seats better, i7 a bit better with voice commands, steering about the same, more torque and it seems stable. I will not have this LCI model sorry.
My 18 is lovely and i love it.
I didn't realize the LCI has a different seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

If I’m not mistaken the Lci 7ers and the normal ones past 2018 have a GPF so it would reduce the sound which is one of the main reasons I prefer the pre-Lci
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:25 AM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Too each his own... If only for the new Grill and Rear Taillamp treatment with full Light bar is enough for me to prefer it much more to pre 2020.
I am a fan of Foglamps and really enjoy driving with Angel Eyes and Fogs (both LED) on my F01. BMW surely could have made a thin, tasteful led strip for Fogs. But... The entire front end with those massive air intakes below are waaaaaaay more aggressive and modern on the LCI IMO.

Honestly... I am not expecting a massive departure in design on the next generation 7.

Enjoy your rides no matter what I always say.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #12
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

So I’m not the only one who doesn’t like the new cluster. I found to hard to catch speed or see any other info at a glance. Be it I test drove a x7 m50i.. but yah, the new system felt less intuitive.

I’m thinking the next Bmw I get will be a 750 or 850 gran coupe.. I’m curious if the 7 series exhaust is as loud and dominant as the one of my test drive x7, or even as 8 series car reviews I’ve watched. I imagine it would be toned down but not sure
Appreciate 0