BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #705
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
From my understanding based on dating a Chinese woman who emigrated here, the use of masks in China are more about the horrible air quality rather than about viruses.
In Japan it's customary to wear them to prevent spreading viruses and is done out of courtesy to others.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
      06-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #706
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I don't see the "scam". Masks did and do help regardless of what you want to believe. It was stated a long time ago the primary reason to wear a mask is to prevent from spreading the virus to others. Ask yourself why places that had higher % of people wearing masks had better outcomes.

BTW, Dr. Fauci changed his tune on the efficacy of masks. For the record, people wear masks in Asian countries for the very same reason, to prevent spreading viruses and guess what, it works.
I’m not going into it, it’s over. Coronavirus and the flu has been around for eons. All data prior to March 2020 showed masks had little to zero effect on stopping transmission, but then certain things happened for a reason and suddenly they became the holy grail to many believers. What you said about percentages is simply not true. If it were, Sweden would be dead. Florida would be dead. Texas would be dead, on and on. In fact, most of the places which were hit hardest by Convid were places like New York, Michigan, and California where the masks became like a religion. There is ample evidence to show they cause harm, I’d never wear one of those disgusting things.

It’s how it should be now. If people need the things to feel protected from a bad flu season, go for it. The rest of us who know the things are absolutely useless are now free from the tyranny. God bless America.
Appreciate 5
      06-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #707
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
I don't see the "scam". Masks did and do help regardless of what you want to believe. It was stated a long time ago the primary reason to wear a mask is to prevent from spreading the virus to others. Ask yourself why places that had higher % of people wearing masks had better outcomes.

BTW, Dr. Fauci changed his tune on the efficacy of masks. For the record, people wear masks in Asian countries for the very same reason, to prevent spreading viruses and guess what, it works.
I'm not going into it, it's over. Coronavirus and the flu has been around for eons. All data prior to March 2020 showed masks had little to zero effect, but then certain things happened for a reason and suddenly they became the holy grail to many believers. What you said about percentages is simply not true. If it were, Sweden would be dead. Florida would be dead. Texas would be dead, on and on. In fact, most of the places which were hit hardest by Convid were places like New York, Michigan, and California were the masks became like a religion.

It's how it should be now. If people need the things to feel protected from a bad flu season, go for it. The rest of us who know the things are absolutely useless are now free from the tyranny. God bless America.

To add to this…..

….I've never seen so much hysteria over something with a 97% chance of survival if contracted. If those were betting odds on anything in life, we'd all hedge our bets. Hell, if it were proven that there was a 97% chance that you could have sex with somebody with HIV and not contract the virus…..or a 97% chance you could ejaculate in a woman during ovulation and not impregnate her, people would probably/likely jettison birth control/condoms. I'm not minimizing those who lost lives due to comorbidities exacerbated by covid, but to shut down the world was overreach.
Appreciate 4
NickyC17445.00
      06-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #708
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In Japan it's customary to wear them to prevent spreading viruses and is done out of courtesy to others.
How well is that working out for them in relation to the Olympics?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #709
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Probably a shit load better than if they didn't wear them. Just compare the numbers between populations between our respective countries. Even though they're experiencing "spikes", it pales in comparison to what we went through here in the US. For the record, I think they should cancel the Olympics and/or postpone it again.

The f'n IOC is the mafia.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #710
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Probably a shit load better than if they didn't wear them. Just compare the numbers between populations between our respective countries. Even though they're experiencing "spikes", it pales in comparison to what we went through here in the US. For the record, I think they should cancel the Olympics and/or postpone it again.

The f'n IOC is the mafia.
Agreed on the last part at least. Hope you stay healthy and happy.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #711
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Agreed on the last part at least. Hope you stay healthy and happy.
Well I don't/didn't like wearing them but I did my part at least. Now that I'm fully vaccinated I'm good. Hope the same for you!

Yeah I hate the IOC. I feel sorry for the host country that has to deal with their BS.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #712
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Love when NickyC comes in and drops bombs. He always makes me laugh especially when he fires people up.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-06-2021, 11:42 PM   #713
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
In fact, most of the places which were hit hardest by Convid were places like New York, Michigan, and California where the masks became like a religion. There is ample evidence to show they cause harm, I’d never wear one of those disgusting things.
Yet NY & CA have the lowest transmission & positivity rates in the country while FL, TX and others who don't want to do what is best for everyone & the country they supposedly love so much are still doing poorly. A little sacrifice & discomfort for a short time for the greater good of the country seems worth it and a better use of time than bitching about it IMO.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
Littlebear3509.50
      06-07-2021, 12:25 AM   #714
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
Yet NY & CA have the lowest transmission & positivity rates in the country while FL, TX and others who don't want to do what is best for everyone & the country they supposedly love so much are still doing poorly. A little sacrifice & discomfort for a short time for the greater good of the country seems worth it and a better use of time than bitching about it IMO.
We could also tell everyone they need to wear red shoes with a blue sweater to stop the Convid, for the greater good and all. Doing that would be just as effective against a coronavirus as wearing an ill-fitting, nonsealable piece of paper over our faces.

Fauci and the NIH (and decades of research going back to 1946 had it right) had it correct in their initial emails. Why they decided to go they way they did, and pull what was essentially a 180 from prior science in a matter of days is the red flag. There was simply zero science nor data to support the choices they forced on all of us including the draconian lockdowns, the six foot distancing, the stupid plexiglass, the rabid cleaning and disinfecting of every surface, any of it. This is why the distancing, plexiglass, and disinfecting everything in sight has all been walked back because it was obviously worthless from the start. It was all a sham. Only the masks remain for some people, and even those are going away quickly in to the trash bins where they belong.

Light reading from the CDC, even in May 2020.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

"In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2). One study evaluated the use of masks among pilgrims from Australia during the Hajj pilgrimage and reported no major difference in the risk for laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection in the control or mask group (33). Two studies in university settings assessed the effectiveness of face masks for primary protection by monitoring the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among student hall residents for 5 months (9,10). The overall reduction in ILI or laboratory-confirmed influenza cases in the face mask group was not significant in either studies (9,10). Study designs in the 7 household studies were slightly different: 1 study provided face masks and P2 respirators for household contacts only (34), another study evaluated face mask use as a source control for infected persons only (35), and the remaining studies provided masks for the infected persons as well as their close contacts (11–13,15,17). None of the household studies reported a significant reduction in secondary laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the face mask group (11–13,15,17,34,35). Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group."

"Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza"

And with that, I'm out. Everyone is now free to make their own health decisions as it always should have been, and I wish a happy healthy summer to all.

Last edited by NickyC; 06-07-2021 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 4
      06-07-2021, 05:33 AM   #715
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Japan has a very low vaccination rate. You are barking up the wrong tree.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:43 AM   #716
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.... There was simply zero science nor data to support the choices they forced on all of us including the draconian lockdowns, the six foot distancing, the stupid plexiglass, the rabid cleaning and disinfecting of every surface, any of it. This is why the distancing, plexiglass, and disinfecting everything in sight has all been walked back because it was obviously worthless from the start. It was all a sham....

" Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group."
Re: Your first assertion:
Yes, many of the virus control behaviors have been walked back, but they have not been eliminated because they show effectiveness.

Re: CDC article:
Good find! But the incidence of flu this past year has been way down, probably because of those precautions you listed above, including masks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #717
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
.... There was simply zero science nor data to support the choices they forced on all of us including the draconian lockdowns, the six foot distancing, the stupid plexiglass, the rabid cleaning and disinfecting of every surface, any of it. This is why the distancing, plexiglass, and disinfecting everything in sight has all been walked back because it was obviously worthless from the start. It was all a sham....

" Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group."
Re: Your first assertion:
Yes, many of the virus control behaviors have been walked back, but they have not been eliminated because they show effectiveness.

Re: CDC article:
Good find! But the incidence of flu this past year has been way down, probably because of those precautions you listed above, including masks.
I would wager it's because everybody stayed home.
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #718
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would wager it's because everybody stayed home.
I think "distancing" of all types has been the most effective control, besides the vaccine. But it isn't the only effective control.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #719
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

The more people that get vaccinated, the better. We can hopefully put this stuff behind us and get back to some semblance of normalcy. God knows we all want it, regardless of which side of the aisle you're on.

Now can we please go back to the point of this thread?
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
vreihen1615143.50
      06-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #720
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

The recent trend of violence and brawls occurring at airports and on board airplanes is going to continue to get worse and eventually lead to deaths (at the airport). Miami seems to be the epitome of recent violence at the airport. Just a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #721
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The recent trend of violence and brawls occurring at airports and on board airplanes is going to continue to get worse and eventually lead to deaths (at the airport). Miami seems to be the epitome of recent violence at the airport. Just a matter of time.
Agreed! I'm getting texts from pilot and flight attendant friends a lot recently. There's definitely a surge in airport/airplane violence.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #722
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Agreed! I'm getting texts from pilot and flight attendant friends a lot recently. There's definitely a surge in airport/airplane violence.
Yeah I just saw ANOTHER video taken at the airport in Miami of two dudes duking it out at the check-in counter and no airport personnel in sight. Apparently the cops showed up after it was over and both of them said there wasn't a fight. Lol.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      06-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #723
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I just saw ANOTHER video taken at the airport in Miami of two dudes duking it out at the check-in counter and no airport personnel in sight. Apparently the cops showed up after it was over and both of them said there wasn't a fight. Lol.
Yeah, mutual combat/non-domestic batteries are something we have to actually witness to arrest for. Absent that, arrests are determined based on the victim(s) being desirous.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #724
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, mutual combat/non-domestic batteries are something we have to actually witness to arrest for. Absent that, arrests are determined based on the victim(s) being desirous.
"According to Florida law, public affray is a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail."

https://news.yahoo.com/crazy-video-s...164412211.html
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #725
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"According to Florida law, public affray is a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail."

https://news.yahoo.com/crazy-video-s...164412211.html
I think that is equivalent to our 415 PC, which includes fighting/challenging to a fight in public, however, it often comes down to the willingness to press charges. If both parties are non-desirous, it generally ends there.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      06-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #726
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Why is this a thing all of a sudden? People have lost their minds and trashy af these days.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50