BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
cazacurazvan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 730 G11

G11 Automatic close/open Trunk issue

Hi there,

A few days ago I fully filled the trunk of my 7 series with luggage and had to "help" the closing of the drunk by hand because the self-hydraulic closing could not fully close (I know, not the brightest thing, but probably all of us have been in that situation, especially when coming back from a vacation) Also, I've been doing this for many years and had no issues at all.

Ok, so, after I helped the trunk close, I heard like a cogwheel jump sound 2/3 seconds and then stopped. At the moment, the automatic open and close (neither from the trunk button, key, or foot) were not working anymore. So, now I can only open and close the trunk manually.
The next day, i tried to see if the trunk worked, and surprisingly it did, both the opening and closing, and after a few hours it stopped working, and afterward it started working again.

You can hear the motor sound when pressing the button, and sometimes when pressing the button a few times the auto close works.

Could this be a calibration issue? is the "chain" of the cogwheel? Or what part should I be looking to purchase for this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Try first calibrating it.
Does it make any sound when it doesnt close or open?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
cazacurazvan
Registered
Rep

Any idea how to do that? Google didn’t help
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Using ISTA+
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 12:00 PM   #5
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

The service procedure you need in ISTA is called Power Tailgate Initialization. It might be that position measurement systems got skewed up during that manual, forced operation, or you mechanically damaged the electric spindle drive on the right side and it needs to be replaced.

Either way, the initialization would be the first step and it would reveal any stored errors regarding to it as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 03:33 AM   #6
cazacurazvan
Registered
Rep

Thank you fir the answeres, will try the initialization first, afterwards replacing the part.
Appreciate 0