BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #23
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Of course it's all subjective.

My opinion is that the overall design of the 7-Series works at cross-purposes to the look of the M-Sport package.

The interior is also subjective, but I believe the 7-Series is higher quality in that respect. The design is really a tough call, but I can appreciate the poor-man's Rolls-Royce aesthetic of the 7.
I get that BMW owns RR, but the two interiors could not be any more different from an aesthetics point of view. I don't see the 7er in any way as the poor man's RR.
      08-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #24
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Really? You don't think there's at least a passing familial resemblance?

At least compared to the S-Class?

Name:  7-Series-2016-BMW-9.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  2014-Rolls-Royce-Ghost-EWB-Interior.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  359.2 KB

Name:  2014_mercedes-benz_s-class_uk_21_1600x1200.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  485.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #25
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Really? You don't think there's at least a passing familial resemblance?

At least compared to the S-Class?

Attachment 2393711

Attachment 2393712

Attachment 2393713
Not really other than the iDrive knob and 8-presets being shared. The S-Class is closer in my opinion because it kind of has some retro design cues mixed with modern tech, but the RR pretty much stands alone due to its classic design and large use of wood and metal.
      08-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #26
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

Comparing both now, except the 750 and S560. Its tough, I like the way the 7 looks outside, the S Class inside. I think they both drive really well and ride really well, edge to the S Class there but its slight.

The big gap though is lease cost, the S Class is dramatically more expensive, like $300 or so a month more expensive to lease. Overall...I'd choose the S probably, but I don't know that I like it $300 more a month.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #27
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

The S is so boring but probably the best interior ever
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #28
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

I drive a Lexus LS, in fact I've had 4. Boring doesnt bother me lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #29
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

I would add in many years owning three Mercedes vehicles (two S-class, one SL) I accumulated a lot of poor Mercedes service and parts experience examples, less so with the BMW. Not to say BMW is Lexus as far as the service is concerned, don't get me wrong, but still. For us long-term owners this makes a difference as well in brand perception.
      08-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #30
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

I agree with many posters that I would not have gone for the 7 if not for M Sport package. I was choosing between an A8L/S8 or 7 Series. I went 7 because in my year (16) the interior of the 7 was much better technology wise and it felt like an upgrade. I don't disagree that in many ways the Benz is the pinnacle of luxury for most of us who cannot afford Rolls, Bentley, Maybach... However, for me the S Class is too mature a vehicle for my age bracket. I'm 36 and I felt uncomfortable in the S class. It wasn't a young persons car. The BMW is just more engaging and sporty for my age (in my opinion only). It handles better but offers the floating ride you can opt for with comfort plus.

When I see a 7 without M Sport it makes it look like an older persons car. Which is totally fine but I'd probably have gone S8 if the M Sport didn't exist.

As far as the seat comfort goes...I have taken a seat in many a car and I just disagree that the 7 seats are uncomfortable. I'm 6'5" and uncomfortable in almost every car but not in mine. The S class is definitely more plush but it's not as supportive so I don't like it as much when I'm driving. As a passenger it's fine because I can move around more and adjust my legs.

Anyway, my choice came down to the best mix of luxury, sportiness, technology and ride quality. I felt the 7 was the best blend of these between the Germans. The Lexus is arguably the most plush ride but the steering and handling is mute so it wasn't a consideration.

Once I break 40 the S Class might be more of a contender. Being a tall person makes a large back seat mandatory with kids, otherwise I can't put my seat back far enough because of car seats. So I envision my next vehicle being another LWB German. We shall see. I still have an M5 itch I need to scratch at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
I don't agree as strongly on comfort or design, at least not to that extent.

Design is always a matter of opinion. If you were to rank the current (relevant) flagships from most traditional to most modern in interior design, I think it would go like this:

S-Class
7-Series
LS500
A8
Model S (what the heck)

The 7 was a good balance for me.

If anything, it seems like a derivation of the Rolls-Royce interior design; it's upright, it's formal, it's stately. It's less dramatic sure, and some days I do prefer the S-Class interior, but not all the time and not by miles.

Plus the interior design is also sensitive to color and trim. The Mercedes in its lowest trim looks clearly better than the BMW, but up both all the way and it's less clear cut. I have a Merino leather burgundy/black interior and I would put it up against your S-Class example any day.

Attachment 2389806

The comfort aspect is noticeable, but not night and day, to the point that I think tires would be as much of a major contributing factor when comparing the two. And the 7 still holds a greater edge on handling vs. the S than the S holds against the 7 on comfort; on balance the 7 is overall superior on the whole.

The Audi A8 is superior to both of them on comfort though, in my experience.

Agree on LCI. The pre-facelift car looked demure and a full class below, especially the 740s with the circular non-upgraded headlights.
Completely agree. You have to option the 7 series correctly, and then it truly stands out.
      09-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #32
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
I agree with many posters that I would not have gone for the 7 if not for M Sport package. I was choosing between an A8L/S8 or 7 Series. I went 7 because in my year (16) the interior of the 7 was much better technology wise and it felt like an upgrade. I don't disagree that in many ways the Benz is the pinnacle of luxury for most of us who cannot afford Rolls, Bentley, Maybach... However, for me the S Class is too mature a vehicle for my age bracket. I'm 36 and I felt uncomfortable in the S class. It wasn't a young persons car. The BMW is just more engaging and sporty for my age (in my opinion only). It handles better but offers the floating ride you can opt for with comfort plus.

When I see a 7 without M Sport it makes it look like an older persons car. Which is totally fine but I'd probably have gone S8 if the M Sport didn't exist.

As far as the seat comfort goes...I have taken a seat in many a car and I just disagree that the 7 seats are uncomfortable. I'm 6'5" and uncomfortable in almost every car but not in mine. The S class is definitely more plush but it's not as supportive so I don't like it as much when I'm driving. As a passenger it's fine because I can move around more and adjust my legs.

Anyway, my choice came down to the best mix of luxury, sportiness, technology and ride quality. I felt the 7 was the best blend of these between the Germans. The Lexus is arguably the most plush ride but the steering and handling is mute so it wasn't a consideration.

Once I break 40 the S Class might be more of a contender. Being a tall person makes a large back seat mandatory with kids, otherwise I can't put my seat back far enough because of car seats. So I envision my next vehicle being another LWB German. We shall see. I still have an M5 itch I need to scratch at some point.
Disagree about a non-M Sport looks.

I'm 42 and think my Exclusive with pure excellence package looks great.

But looks are in the eye of the beholder and we all have different tastes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #33
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post

That's the thing, it is all matter of taste and preference. An Individual in tartufo interior (no black roof lining) or alike looks stunning, your exterior example looks tasty and elegant. No cheap looking "aggressive" bits, the vehicle is so much more together. It is not helping that all the M-sport bits are purely superficial, not adding any performance or function. If BMW offers "sport" package, it needs to do something, then it is a different story.
      09-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #34
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Beautiful sled. I like the wheels.

I'm not a chrome person unless on the wheels usually and that's probably why I like the M Sport - the shadowline.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #35
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Are the wheels 20" or larger?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #36
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiplatys View Post
Quote:

That's the thing, it is all matter of taste and preference. An Individual in tartufo interior (no black roof lining) or alike looks stunning, your exterior example looks tasty and elegant. No cheap looking "aggressive" bits, the vehicle is so much more together. It is not helping that all the M-sport bits are purely superficial, not adding any performance or function. If BMW offers "sport" package, it needs to do something, then it is a different story.
Side by side with mine and Raptors.

I understand it is superficial. I just think the MSport looks more aggressive. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. I agree it is a matter of taste. Cool to see side by side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #37
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They're 20" BMW 646 alloys. Part of the Exclusive line up I believe.

Some pics of the interior. Only things I've added which isn't in the pics is the genuine 7 series rubber floor mats, boot liner and boot net. I also have the touch command tablet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #38
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some pics of the interior. Only things I've added which isn't in the pics is the genuine 7 series rubber floor mats, boot liner and boot net. I also have the touch command tablet.
You have the fancy back seats. Very nice. I wanted those but couldn't find a CPO with it locally. In hindsight probably just as well. The seats are mostly covered with car seats. Yesterday was the second time in a year of ownership that the back seat had passengers for any length of time.

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side....🤣
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #39
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have the fancy back seats. Very nice. I wanted those but couldn't find a CPO with it locally. In hindsight probably just as well. The seats are mostly covered with car seats. Yesterday was the second time in a year of ownership that the back seat had passengers for any length of time.

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side....🤣
Steering wheel is on the correct side.

The rears in mine have the kids sat in them 99.999% of the time. So are covered with a seat protector and car seats.

It was quite funny when I was chatting to my wife once about her seat having cooling. My 5yr old daughter pipes up from the back that she wanted her seat to cool. Then got upset when I told her it wouldn't work through her car seat. 😂
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #40
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep

I really am torn. Drove the 750 again today, and I really like it...leaning in that direction
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #41
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

I’m in kinda of a similar spot.

Have to decide between a gorgeous loaded selenite Gray 2020 s560 ($131k msrp) and a loaded 2020 m760i ($171k MSRP). The MB would be a purchase, the BMW a 3 year lease. The monthly nut is about the same.

The money isn’t a huge issue, though I do like the idea of some equity in the MB versus leasing. Although, cars are such diminishing value assets, the equity ain’t much. The 12 cylinder Bmw would be a blast.

I have to figure it out soon before one of them sells and the decision is made for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #42
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
I'm in kinda of a similar spot.

Have to decide between a gorgeous loaded selenite Gray 2020 s560 ($131k msrp) and a loaded 2020 m760i ($171k MSRP). The MB would be a purchase, the BMW a 3 year lease. The monthly nut is about the same.

The money isn't a huge issue, though I do like the idea of some equity in the MB versus leasing. Although, cars are such diminishing value assets, the equity ain't much. The 12 cylinder Bmw would be a blast.

I have to figure it out soon before one of them sells and the decision is made for me.
I'm of the mindset that everyone should enjoy at least one 12 cylinder car in their lifetime. Especially with electrification coming, it might be your last chance.
      09-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #43
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
I'm of the mindset that everyone should enjoy at least one 12 cylinder car in their lifetime. Especially with electrician coming, it might be your last chance.
That’s kinda been my thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #44
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

That's kinda been my thought.
Are rear doors a must have?