BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

What's your road rage story?

My coworker told me his story that happened this week. It goes like this:

Day one: he was following a dump truck on a single lane road, a pickup truck was tailgating him, he was pissed because he couldn't move faster or pass the truck, so when he finished his cigarette, he flicked the butt out the window towards the back and the butt (assuming still lit) hit the tailgater's windshield and bounced off (I imagine lots of sparks). The road soon widens to a 2-lane highway, but the coworker didn't let the pickup truck pass, blocking the pickup truck three times before letting him go. On the second day around same time in the morning, the coworker found the same pickup truck was tailgating him again, this time he was following another big truck. When the road widens up again, he moved to the left lane and rode along the big truck at same speed. The pickup truck was frustrated and laid on the horn, but the coworker didn't let him pass for a while. I was a bit shocked after hearing this story, he's a nice guy at work, never thought he'd do something like that.

The most dangerous road rage I've ever done was many years ago when I was still young and a new driver, driving my now grocery car on a windy highway at night, a car tailgates me with high-beam on, very annoying because my car doesn't have auto-dim, windows weren't tinted. It lasted for ~30min because there weren't any passing lane. Once he finally passed, I rode up on him, matching his speed and high-beamed him for a while until he suddenly slammed on his brake. Thinking back, it was really dumb, I should have just let him go. Much older now, I don't road rage and barely honk. When I drive my BMW, I drive even more carefully and defensive because no matter who's fault, I don't want to damage my car or endanger my passenger(s).

Last edited by sinopath; 03-20-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post

Day one: he was following a dump truck on a single lane road, a pickup truck was tailgating him, he was pissed because he couldn't move faster or pass the truck, so when he finished his cigarette, he flicked the butt out the window towards the back and the butt (assuming still lit) hit the tailgater's windshield and bounced off (I imagine lots of sparks). The road soon widens to a 2-lane highway, but the coworker didn't let the pickup truck pass, blocking the pickup truck three times before letting him go. On the second day around same time in the morning, the coworker found the same pickup truck was tailgating him again, this time he was following another big truck. When the road widens up again, he moved to the left lane and rode along the big truck at same speed. The pickup truck was frustrated and laid on the horn, but the coworker didn't let him pass for a while. I was a bit shocked after hearing this story, he's a nice guy at work, never thought he'd do something like that.

The most dangerous road rage I've ever done was many years ago when I was still young and a new driver, driving my now grocery car on a windy highway at night, a car tailgates me with high-beam on, very annoying because my car doesn't have auto-dim, windows weren't tinted. It lasted for ~30min because there weren't any passing lane. Once he finally passed, I rode up on him, matching his speed and high-beamed him for a while until he suddenly slammed on his brake. Thinking back, it was really dumb, I should have just let him go. Much older now, I don't road rage and barely honk. When I drive my BMW, I drive even more carefully and defensive because no matter who's fault, I don't want to damage my car or endanger my passenger(s).

Your coworker is a dumbass.
Appreciate 11
MKSixer34171.50
eluded2959.00
cooolone2610.50
F32Fleet3539.50
aozer994.50
slcook541859.50
wdb4673.00
Dang3r12503.00
P111541.50
      03-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
Your coworker is a dumbass.
What he said. And I’m sure both truck drivers agree. Never, ever ride next to a truck like that. Either pass or stay behind. If the truck got a blowout on his steer axle or had to make a move, the car would be toast.
Appreciate 5
vreihen1614883.50
MKSixer34171.50
Dang3r12503.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
agreed, your coworker is a dumbass.

disengage.

it's what i'm teaching my daughter who's been driving a year. just move over and disengage, if they don't call the police.

had some jackass messing with me, i just let him pass, my daughter was like do something, you've got two guns and a rifle in here. i said let it go. jackass kept messing with us so i knew the city coming up and called ahead and they had a car waiting for us. watched the jackass do jackass stuff and pull it over. i pull over and go talk to my coworker (lol) and said just cite him for what you saw, i'll download my dashcam for your court case when i get home.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Ohhh man, I have one but don't know if I should post my dashcam video..... And yeah I'll agree with the others, your co- worker is an idiot. My incident is similar to your jack ass co worker blocking the left lane pacing the truck right next to him. In my incident, an idiot was doing the same thing but brake checking individuals who wanted to pass. He then started brake checking me when others decided to move behind the truck in the right lane and I wasn't having it. He eventually let me pass as I was on his ass, yelled a few expletives, cut him off and then brake checked his ass sending him swerving to the right side of the road causing his wheels to slam into the exit island(curb) causing I don't know what kind of damage. I was stupid for doing this but I lost my cool when I saw this person doing it to multiple people, not just me. I regret it but it happened and this is certainly my worst road rage incident. This was a a few years ago and have since learned to ignore the stupids out there. Some are oblivious to what they are doing but some do intentionally. In any case, I just try to ignore and avoid any confrontation now.

Last edited by Yessir; 03-20-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I avoid it ...myself or someone else.

Nothing good will come from it. Someone will come away hurt or dead.

There are plenty of things trying to harm us now. Don't need to add anything else to the list.
King Rudi13152.00
      03-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

A person can't avoid it sometimes because you can't control the other person. One time I was driving speed limit on the right lane and went into the left lane to turn left. The Ford Explorer in the left lane was charging down the left turn lane at 30 over the limit at least and took offense. So for the next block and a half he cut in front and tried to slam on his brakes in front of my car several times. I constantly changed lanes and he kept cutting and slamming. I eventually got aside for a brief moment, rolled down my window, and just shook my head and laughed at him as he peeled off on a right. Nutcase.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Can't say I remember any of my road rage incidents since someone pretty much tries to kill me every single time I drive around here. Worst drivers in the entire country.

I do have a story though. I use to drive from Miami to Boca for work. It would take anywhere between 1-2 hours depending on traffic. At some point I started car pooling with a friend who lives nearby. I don't remember who was driving this day, but we are in the HOV lane and this fucking bitch is going sooooo slow in the HOV lane it's making the lane practically useless. Best of all she's by her fucking self just ruining it for everyone.

Anyways after some time behind her we notice a highway patrol is driving behind us. We immediately move to the right and allow him to get behind her. Within a few seconds he lights her up... so so good. I can taste that satisfaction to this day.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
premier3is1627.00
vreihen1614883.50
cooolone2610.50
      03-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #9
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post

Your coworker is an uptight passive-aggressive fuck-wad.
cooolone2610.50
      03-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #10
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

as a light duty truck driver (think Ford F-150 crew cab & cargo vans) driving through our (old horse trail roads) rotaries, 2 ways that's only got one way of space

North End Boston is home to a lot of my projects, very historic neighborhood, the streets are tiny, congested and full of tourists, thank all the Italian food & Paul Revere's house...

Things to remember driving near a truck/cargo van, left side is your passing side, right side is suicide, gimme some space, I can't see you in your little accord, I'm 6k lbs to 10k lbs depending what I'm in, I can't stop like you can and my visibility is 20% less give or take
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've had probably a dozen in my 40+ years of driving, 20 of those which were in big trucks.

About 6 months ago I was coming home from dinner with a prospective client. I hit the roundabout adjacent to our complex and followed it to the outlet that leads to our parking garage. A Tahoe pulled up to the roundabout from another inlet just after I entered it, which meant he had to yield to me since I was already in the roundy and proceeding past the inlet he was waiting at.

As I exit the roundy, Pissy McShitbag comes screaming up behind me and follows me, right on my rear bumper, as I make my way to the other side of the complex to the parking garage entrance. With his high beams on, of course. Apparently he figured I was supposed to signal my intentions in the roundy, which is explicitly not the case according to Minnesota statutes.

To my shock, the dude tries to follow me into the garage. I hit the remote to put the door up and pulled just inside the door and stopped in the center of the doorway so there was no way around or alongside my car. He stopped just a few yards back of me, probably 10 feet from the door. I thought "motherfucker, we're not just 2 blokes on the road anymore, I'm in my home and you're threatening to bust in." I got out, grabbing my pistol as I dismounted and quickly checked to make sure there was a round up the spout. I held it at my side pointed toward the ground as I walked up to the driver's door of the Tahoe. The pistol's stainless, so he very likely saw it given that the area's well lit. He briefly stared at me through the window when I shouted "What's up?" After a couple of seconds he threw it in reverse and backed back up the driveway.

And this is in one of the most crime-free areas of the metro area that I live in. We joke when we hear a police siren, "Aw shit, somebody used the wrong spoon for their soup!" Apparently this shitbag mistook me for someone who takes his personal safety for granted. He was wrong.
premier3is1627.00
Bunnny219.50
F30lolz6798.50
      03-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #12
parajax
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Artic Gray

Not proud to admit that i've lost it too many times. The one that stands out was a few years ago when my son was around 8 years old. I was in San Diego taking him home from a parochial school. We were on the fast track lane when this car with 3 teenage girls nearly ran me into the guardrail. Windows were down and i screamed out the passenger window where my son was sitting, You Fucking Bitches and flicked them the bird. I wish i could have gotten a photo of the look on my sons face. I told him never to use these words, but of course he had to tell mom. Today he is 25 yo and swears like a sailor. I think i started him on that journey. Im so proud!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      03-20-2020, 10:07 PM   #13
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I have a few experiences in this both on the giving and receiving side. Oddly, I take offense when some asshat attempts vehicular homicide through selfishness, incompetence or simply Idontgiveafukiveness.

On the giving side, I was pulling into my neighborhood and as I come up to the first cross street which is angled at a about 60 degrees, another car...Honda Accord, is approaching the intersection. He has a stop sign, I do not. This moron waits until I'm 40 meters away and rolls the stop. I have to slam on the brakes and maneuver to avoid him. He looks at me grinning and sadly, I see red. I'm in the M6 so I flicked the car in the middle of the intersection and lay into hot pursuit. I catch him in a few seconds and before he turns on the main throughway but I don't pull next to him, rather, I wait until we both turn out. I pass him and slow him down to 10 mph and don't let him pass. He gets to the next boulevard opening and executes a turn and I do the same thing. He attempted to turn back into our neighborhood and I block him from being able to execute the turn in the boulevard opening because his car is positioned incorrectly. I roll down the window and give it to him with both barrels until tears well up in his eyes. I finished by telling him that I will make his life miserable if I ever see him driving like an asshat again. He went home, thereafter as did I. I haven't seen him run any stop signs in the neighborhood since that time.

On the receiving side, I was in a company car...Ford cliTaurus, if I remember correctly. I was just bopping along in the right lane enjoying my American when a lifted P/U truck tries to go for a gap that wasn't there. I wasn't blocking him, his lane slowed down unexpectedly which prevented him from overtaking. Well...he went ballistic. I didn't notice he was really mad at me until the subsequent stop when he rolls down the window and starts gesticulating wildly at me cursing with plenty of spittle added in for emphasis. I rolled my eyes and take off when the light changes and he follows suit. We stop at the next light but he is too far back to engage me. On the next run he pulls up next to me and acts as if he will slam into me with the truck but I hold the line and just stop. He stops next to me and brandishes a .38. I then yell out the window, "I appreciate the attention and I like women so I'm not interested in a homosexual relationship but good luck to you!" He stops, blinks a couple of times, then peels off onto a side street. Which was a good thing since brandishing a fire arm is a felony in the city limits.

I won't bring up the lifted trucks and 18 wheeler jacking with me in the i8. Since I've driven foreign sports cars for most of my life, I've become accustomed to it. When I was 18 or 19, I put a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight which I used to back tailgaters off on country roads. In Mexico, of course.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Ohhh man, I have one but don't know if I should post my dashcam video..... And yeah I'll agree with the others, your co- worker is an idiot. My incident is similar to your jack ass co worker blocking the left lane pacing the truck right next to him. In my incident, an idiot was doing the same thing but brake checking individuals who wanted to pass. He then started brake checking me when others decided to move behind the truck in the right lane and I wasn't having it. He eventually let me pass as I was on his ass, yelled a few expletives, cut him off and then brake checked his ass sending him swerving to the right side of the road causing his wheels to slam into the exit island(curb) causing I don't know what kind of damage. I was stupid for doing this but I lost my cool when I saw this person doing it to multiple people, not just me. I regret it but it happened and this is certainly my worst road rage incident. This was a a few years ago and have since learned to ignore the stupids out there. Some are oblivious to what they are doing but some do intentionally. In any case, I just try to ignore and avoid any confrontation now.
'Instant Karma'

Love it. Well deserved lol. Got a taste of his own shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My favorite road rage story is second hand. A copper buddy that I used to work security with, was working some voluntary overtime interviewing victims of a rash of burglaries. He was in uniform but driving an unmarked cruiser. Middle of the day on a Saturday. He's just finished one interview and is headed to the next, making his way through a tranquil and leafy residential neighborhood with no one around, and he "rolls" a stop sign. Out of nowhere he's got a car right on his back bumper, with the driver honking the fuck out of his horn and waving his arms madly. He figures the guy needs some help, or has seen something he wants to alert my buddy to. So my buddy pulls over to the curb and calls in his position. In his mirror he watches the guy weave his way up to the driver's window. The guy says scoldingly, but so slurred he can barely be understoood "Hey asshole, you didn't stop at that fuckin' stop sign back there!" And then a second later the poor sot notices the laptop and all the radio gear and my buddy's uniform. "Ah, fuck." Dude was hammered off his ass. Yeah, have a seat.
      03-20-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
My favorite road rage story is second hand. A copper buddy that I used to work security with, was working some voluntary overtime interviewing victims of a rash of burglaries. He was in uniform but driving an unmarked cruiser. Middle of the day on a Saturday. He's just finished one interview and is headed to the next, making his way through a tranquil and leafy residential neighborhood with no one around, and he "rolls" a stop sign. Out of nowhere he's got a car right on his back bumper, with the driver honking the fuck out of his horn and waving his arms madly. He figures the guy needs some help, or has seen something he wants to alert my buddy to. So my buddy pulls over to the curb and calls in his position. In his mirror he watches the guy weave his way up to the driver's window. The guy says scoldingly, but so slurred he can barely be understoood "Hey asshole, you didn't stop at that fuckin' stop sign back there!" And then a second later the poor sot notices the laptop and all the radio gear and my buddy's uniform. "Ah, fuck." Yeah, have a seat.
Am I having deja vu or did I read this somewhere else posted on this forum too by you? Maybe the 'ask a cop thread'?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:40 PM   #17
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Am I having deja vu or did I read this somewhere else posted on this forum too by you? Maybe the 'ask a cop thread'?
Yup, maybe so.
      03-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #18
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Yup, maybe so.
Ok good, I thought I was bugging out! LOL

Funny story tho. I love the instant karma/justice by cops videos on YouTube, if no one has seen them, watch them during this quarantine lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #19
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
My favorite road rage story is second hand. A copper buddy that I used to work security with, was working some voluntary overtime interviewing victims of a rash of burglaries. He was in uniform but driving an unmarked cruiser. Middle of the day on a Saturday. He's just finished one interview and is headed to the next, making his way through a tranquil and leafy residential neighborhood with no one around, and he "rolls" a stop sign. Out of nowhere he's got a car right on his back bumper, with the driver honking the fuck out of his horn and waving his arms madly. He figures the guy needs some help, or has seen something he wants to alert my buddy to. So my buddy pulls over to the curb and calls in his position. In his mirror he watches the guy weave his way up to the driver's window. The guy says scoldingly, but so slurred he can barely be understoood "Hey asshole, you didn't stop at that fuckin' stop sign back there!" And then a second later the poor sot notices the laptop and all the radio gear and my buddy's uniform. "Ah, fuck." Dude was hammered off his ass. Yeah, have a seat.
Your buddy's uniform (leaving aside the laptop and all the radio gear ) ironically added some sense to that emotional outburst.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      03-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #20
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I've driven in almost every major American city and major euro city, north Jersey and south Florida seem to me the worst, dumb mother fuc**rs for sure

Likely many from NJ are now in Miami lol

But in Munich, Paris and Athens i feel safer, I was Pleasantly surprised, they share the road, the zipper maneuver is done well and the people (respect) the passing lane, yes a little aggressive but in a safer way imo

back in the states, more n more people feel it's their road
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      03-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #21
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Some guy in a shitty beaten up Mazda 3, in a low class part of town, was all over the road. Driving extremely aggressively, not using his signal, etc. This guy shamelessly cut me off on a 45mph zone and I held my horn. He proceeds to brake check me and I swerve around. He starts driving alongside me cussing and saying to pull over so he can beat my ass. I get ahead of him but know it would end badly if we go in the same direction, so in the right turn lane at an intersection I quickly switched two lanes over and booked it across the intersection. Thank god the light was green. We went our separate ways.

Some people are total losers with nothing to lose. I should have known better than to engage with that fool. Should have just stayed away from him. Lesson learned: when you see a shitty car driven erratically in a working class area, stay the fuk away and don't honk.

Another time in the midwest on a 45mph 2 lane road, I was in the right lane trying to dodge some bad potholes and rough stretches of pavement, the guy behind me didn't take well what looked like erratic driving from me and speeds around giving the finger and brake checking. Within 10 seconds an intersection came and I turned right to get out of the situation.

Last edited by Germanauto; 03-20-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

As I read these I have to admit that sometimes the red mist takes over, and I've done some dumb stuff. When I'm able to stay sensible I try to think of whether I really care about arriving 15 (or even 60 or 120) seconds later than planned, and that you really can't win these. And mentally checking a couple of incidents from my own life that helped steer me away from the overtake-and-confront mentality:
-retired police officer gets out of his car at a light and walks up on a car full of teenage gangbanger wannabees who'd been tailing/brake-checking him, with his pistol out (he'd already shown it to them while driving). Shot in the chest (dies later) by the gutless punks before he got to say a word.
-a gal I worked with got into a 'cut me off - I'll cut you off' pissing contest with a pickup truck that botched a move and caught her front end, producing a fatal rollover.
Appreciate 1