BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BMW Hydrogen 7 Hits The Road With The 2008 Hydrogen Road Tour

Name:  hydro7.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  46.1 KB

08/11/2008

BMW Hydrogen 7 Joins Department of Transportation, Department of Energy and Leading Automakers on a Two-Week Tour of 31 Cities, August 11 - August 23 - Portland, ME - August 11, 2008... The BMW Hydrogen 7 -- the first hydrogen-powered luxury sedan -- joins an unprecedented cross-country journey featuring hydrogen-powered cars by the world's leading automakers in the 2008 Hydrogen Road Tour.

From August 11 - 23, the hydrogen powered convoy will travel from Portland, Maine to Santa Monica, California with one goal: to call on congressional leaders to support the creation of a nationwide hydrogen fueling station infrastructure.

The Hydrogen Road Tour is a partnership with the U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Energy, the California Fuel Cell Partnership and the National Hydrogen Association. In addition to BMW, participants include Daimler, GM, Honda, Hyundai-Kia, Nissan, Toyota, and VW. Also part of this broad coalition are hydrogen fuel providers Linde, BMW's hydrogen fuel partner for the Tour, and Air Products.

"BMW has already logged nearly 2 million miles in our fleet of 100 BMW Hydrogen 7s. Being on this tour will show more people that hydrogen is truly the best alternative transportation fuel. An internal combustion engine, powered by hydrogen should play an important role in the future of sustainable mobility," said Tom Baloga, BMW Vice President of Engineering, US.

What is most unusual about the Hydrogen Road Tour is the partnership between the world's leading automakers, key federal departments, influential non-governmental organizations and hydrogen fuel providers to bring the reality of practical, clean energy to our nation's legislators and the public. The tour will visit key members of Congress in their home states to allow them the opportunity to see and drive these cars.

BMW Hydrogen 7 is the only car on the tour that stores liquid hydrogen to power an internal combustion engine. Hydrogen is one of the cleanest energy sources available producing zero emissions. Essentially the only tailpipe emission is water vapor.

Mono-fuel Hydrogen 7 actually cleans the air

The tour fleet will include the mono-fuel version of the BMW Hydrogen 7, equipped with a V12 internal combustion engine (ICE) which has been engineered to run exclusively on hydrogen. It was created to showcase the zero CO2 and low emissions potential and feasibility of a dedicated hydrogen internal combustion engine (ICE).

The Hydrogen 7's V12 mono-fuel ICE produces no CO2 and near-zero emissions, while not sacrificing performance. In fact, the tailpipe emissions are so infinitesimal they pushed the limits of current emission testing technology.

Independent authorities, including the Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), have confirmed these results. ANL conducted emission tests on BMW Hydrogen 7 mono-fuel vehicles in early March 2008 and found that not only were the emissions infinitesimally small but when running, the vehicle actually cleaned the air.

Exhaust emissions clean enough to drink

Recent studies have also confirmed the water emitted by the Hydrogen 7 is, in fact, safe to drink.

Exhaust from the mono-fuel Hydrogen 7 tested by FGL Environmental was found to be well within the limits set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for safe drinking water standards. The Maximum Contaminant Limit, abbreviated MCL, is the maximum limit set by the EPA for chemicals found in drinking water. Results showed the MCL from mono-fuel H7 emissions to be in compliance with the health safety standards.

BMW Hydrogen 7 on the road

For more than a year, the BMW fleet of bi-fuel Hydrogen 7s has been an important milestone on the road to a hydrogen future, with more than 150 people driving nearly 2 million miles so far. The Pioneer Program, as it is called, has provided the flexibility of being able to gather real-world driving experience driving on hydrogen with the peace of mind that comes from knowing you won't run out of fuel. In addition to the BMW hydrogen pioneers, hundreds of people from academia, students, media, as well as the general public, have had the opportunity to experience the BMW Hydrogen 7.

Follow the Tour online at www.hydrogenroadtour.com. Learn more about the BMW Hydrogen 7 at http://bmwcleanenergy.com. With a nationwide hydrogen infrastructure in place - the goal of the Hydrogen Road Tour - the hydrogen future would be a reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
If only the USA would listen. Bought off by the gas company.
      08-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
Paulson
I read what others have learned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp0man View Post
If only the USA would listen. Bought off by the gas company.
Bush and his buddies own oil......things will never change.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Hoothout
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 328i

Garage List
2008 e92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
Bush and his buddies own oil......things will never change.
soo true, they dont care at all because they are not effected, bastards
iDrive,Premium Pkg,Sport Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Black Dakota Leather,GP Thunder 8500k cornering,drl,and foglights, ,Blacked Out Grills,Painted Reflectors,Shadowline Emblems,Hardwired Beltronics V-995, AFE Intake, Muffler Delete, Berger tune
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

It will be a while before we can build a self sufficient hydrogen ecosystem! but that close to 500 billion we spent on the war close have damn well helped. Awh well better luck next time, I just don't get why people don't see republicans don't have their best interest at heart @ least when to comes to the economy. This isn't a political forum so I'll leave it at that.

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

wow! awesome.....better get a gallon tapered to the exhaust of my new hydrogen 7 series...then i'll never be thirsty again! LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
beemah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

wow
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
beemah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman S

lets see one in the showroom folks.

also somthing that fits my pocket

like a hydrogen 3 and i will buy it today
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemah View Post
lets see one in the showroom folks.

also somthing that fits my pocket

like a hydrogen 3 and i will buy it today
The hydrogen 7's would cost you a good million bucks at this point. That is part of the reason why they are only leasing the H7's.

Atleast one presidential candidate is concerned with alternative fuels. The other one is just concerned about offshore drilling to get more oil (just what we need) and it would not even benefit us for roughly the next decade.

I agree with a previous posters comments. Take the money we have spent on the war, and spend it on developing clean fuels like Hydrogen in the US. Lets be a leader in implementing that technology.
Appreciate 0