BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
DNSY
Rep
Drives: 750i

Long Term Reliability

My 2018 750i has 27,000km after 3 years, thanks to COVID. I'm thinking of buying it out at lease end - it is such a great car and nothing comes close at the buyout price…, especially with DHP.
Question is, how reliable these cars are if I plan to drive it for another 4 years? Does anyone has experience with a high mileage 750i? Would you buy it out if it you are in my situation?
Appreciate your advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSY View Post
My 2018 750i has 27,000km after 3 years, thanks to COVID. I'm thinking of buying it out at lease end - it is such a great car and nothing comes close at the buyout price…, especially with DHP.
Question is, how reliable these cars are if I plan to drive it for another 4 years? Does anyone has experience with a high mileage 750i? Would you buy it out if it you are in my situation?
Appreciate your advice.
I am thinking along the same lines for a 2020, with lease expiring in late '22. If you have a three year lease, you'll have another year of factory warranty, and you can always buy an extended warranty. OTOH, the residuals are high on these cars so buying may not make sense, and then there is always the siren song of the next generation . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Quote:
Appreciate your advice.
Quote:
Appreciate your advice.
Historically the 7 is not a very reliable car. Coolant leaks, oil leaks, transmission problems( at least on the E66 7s), shocks, soft close doors, door actuators, interior lighting, and the grill shutters, are all some of the things that can and possibly will go bad well before 100k miles.

Find a reputable Indy or get a good extended warranty if you want to keep the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
Historically the 7 is not a very reliable car. Coolant leaks, oil leaks, transmission problems( at least on the E66 7s), shocks, soft close doors, door actuators, interior lighting, are all some of the things that can and possibly will go bad well before 100k miles.

Find a reputable Indy or get a good extended warranty if you want to keep the car.
IDK man, i always here the stories but i just sold my e66 with 238k miles and it was a champ and my e38 made it to 200k before the original trans went
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Don’t listen to Debbie Downer. When someone joins a forum just to complain without adding anything constructive, you have to weigh their opinions with a grain of salt.

In short, all used German cars require maintenance and repair. They aren’t cheap. A good warranty helps one sleep better but I don’t think the 7-series is a markedly better or worse than it’s rivals. Scour the various forums for each manufacturer and you will find good stories and bad. The question is how you felt about the car while you’ve owned it, and knowing how you cared for it, do you trust the car.

If you want the best chance of long term success, but a Lexus. But be prepared to sleep through most of the moles behind the wheel.

If you like it and cared for it well, buy it and see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegBurton View Post
Quote:
Historically the 7 is not a very reliable car. Coolant leaks, oil leaks, transmission problems( at least on the E66 7s), shocks, soft close doors, door actuators, interior lighting, are all some of the things that can and possibly will go bad well before 100k miles.

IDK man, i always here the stories but i just sold my e66 with 238k miles and it was a champ and my e38 made it to 200k before the original trans went
Quote:
Quote:

That's surprising. But good for you.
I drove my 06 E66 to 155k miles and had the mechatronic crack in the transmission at 75k miles, coolant sensor leak, alternator go out twice, and the valve stem seals issue all before 100k. Water pump went out at 150k so can't complain about the longevity of that
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Don’t listen to Debbie Downer. When someone joins a forum just to complain without adding anything constructive, you have to weigh their opinions with a grain of salt.

In short, all used German cars require maintenance and repair. They aren’t cheap. A good warranty helps one sleep better but I don’t think the 7-series is a markedly better or worse than it’s rivals. Scour the various forums for each manufacturer and you will find good stories and bad. The question is how you felt about the car while you’ve owned it, and knowing how you cared for it, do you trust the car.

If you want the best chance of long term success, but a Lexus. But be prepared to sleep through most of the moles behind the wheel.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Don't listen to Debbie Downer. When someone joins a forum just to complain without adding anything constructive, you have to weigh their opinions with a grain of salt.

In short, all used German cars require maintenance and repair. They aren't cheap. A good warranty helps one sleep better but I don't think the 7-series is a markedly better or worse than it's rivals. Scour the various forums for each manufacturer and you will find good stories and bad. The question is how you felt about the car while you've owned it, and knowing how you cared for it, do you trust the car.

Still living rent free in your mind? I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #8
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Keep in mind the residual is not always your buyout price. If your dealer does not negotiate on selling price at lease end, ask another dealer. ANY dealer can sell you your end of lease car. I leased my F10 from Perillo and bought it from Fields in Northfield, IL at 5k less than what Perillo wanted at the end of my lease. There are costs associated with listing amd selling the car that they save when just letting you have it.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      05-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Put a few hundred bucks away each month into an interest bearing account for future repairs. Find a great Indy mechanic that lets you buy your own parts like others have mentioned.

The N63 in its current iteration is now as reliable as any turbo V8 (which isn't saying very much) but in the long run it will be cheaper to keep it than go through another depreciation cycle when buying/leasing new.
      05-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
Keep in mind the residual is not always your buyout price. If your dealer does not negotiate on selling price at lease end, ask another dealer. ANY dealer can sell you your end of lease car. I leased my F10 from Perillo and bought it from Fields in Northfield, IL at 5k less than what Perillo wanted at the end of my lease. There are costs associated with listing amd selling the car that they save when just letting you have it.
When did this change? Recently, BMW has not negotiated on buyout price and has not allowed dealers to sell lease returns back to the original lessee or anyone in the same family. In fact, they penalized any dealer who violated their policy. So if it changed, it would be good to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #11
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Agree on every point. There is at least one guy here who abolutely lives to make condescending negative posts (tantamount to saying "you are all idiots"). If someone has had a problem car (there are lemons in all makes) they extrapolate to "all these cars are unreliable". They also have a bad experience at a dealer and then conclude that all dealers are incompetent or crooked. Go to the MB or Audi forums and you will also see plenty of grousing. People don't come on forums specifically to say, "hey, I have just finished a boring year with no issues."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
When did this change? Recently, BMW has not negotiated on buyout price and has not allowed dealers to sell lease returns back to the original lessee or anyone in the same family. In fact, they penalized any dealer who violated their policy. So if it changed, it would be good to know.
I leased my '13 535 from Perillo BMW in downtown Chicago 10 minutes from my house in March 2013 and bought it from Fields BMW Northfield, IL in March 2016 with 14k miles on the clock in near perfect condition.
      05-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #13
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
I leased my '13 535 from Perillo BMW in downtown Chicago 10 minutes from my house in March 2013 and bought it from Fields BMW Northfield, IL in March 2016 with 14k miles on the clock in near perfect condition.
You did well! But the BMW policy unfortunately has changed since then.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #14
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't listen to Debbie Downer. When someone joins a forum just to complain without adding anything constructive, you have to weigh their opinions with a grain of salt.

In short, all used German cars require maintenance and repair. They aren't cheap. A good warranty helps one sleep better but I don't think the 7-series is a markedly better or worse than it's rivals. Scour the various forums for each manufacturer and you will find good stories and bad. The question is how you felt about the car while you've owned it, and knowing how you cared for it, do you trust the car.

Agree on every point. There is at least one guy here who abolutely lives to make condescending negative posts (tantamount to saying "you are all idiots"). If someone has had a problem car (there are lemons in all makes) they extrapolate to "all these cars are unreliable". They also have a bad experience at a dealer and then conclude that all dealers are incompetent or crooked. Go to the MB or Audi forums and you will also see plenty of grousing. People don't come on forums specifically to say, "hey, I have just finished a boring year with no issues."
I'm not sure you fully understand the point of a forum. I think u believe the point of this forum is to just praise bmw as a brand and company and attack anyone who sees differently.

The man asked a question, I gave him my personal experience on the matter. You are also replying to him to give your experience on the matter.

At the end of the day, he will have advice from multiple people on the subject (hence the point of a forum) and not just from a bunch of fanboys who gets incensed every time someone mentions anything remotely unfavorable about the car. You have to Grow up sometime and not be so closed minded. That goes for the paralegal law guy as well
Appreciate 1
13M5F10812.00
      05-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #15
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Most folks are enthusiasts who come to share enthusiasm, tips, stories and experiences (good and bad). I can’t imagine slogging to a forum (of any kind - even basket weaving) just to be a mope. Sad.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      05-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most folks are enthusiasts who come to share enthusiasm, tips, stories and experiences (good and bad). I can't imagine slogging to a forum (of any kind - even basket weaving) just to be a mope. Sad.
As you just said, I'm sharing my experience, Good AND bad. no moping involved, Just the unadulterated honest truth. Let's pay attention to the common English language we have all agreed upon.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sharing experience is what this forum is about and you've (repeatedly) described some legitimate beefs. But this forum is designed as a place for people to help each other and denigrating anyone who disagrees with you (such as "living rent free in your mind") goes way beyond sharing experience, is not helpful, and is downright nasty. Maybe you should pay attention to your own advice and "pay attention to the common English language we have all agreed upon" and refrain from ad hominem attacks. When someone raises a problem they are having, it is not constructive to respond, (repeatedly) in effect "yeah, these cars all stink; you should have bought something else."

You have a personal agenda. I don't think you should take it out on others. Now I've just put you on my ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sharing experience is what this forum is about and you've (repeatedly) described some legitimate beefs. But this forum is designed as a place for people to help each other and denigrating anyone who disagrees with you (such as "living rent free in your mind") goes way beyond sharing experience, is not helpful, and is downright nasty. Maybe you should pay attention to your own advice and "pay attention to the common English language we have all agreed upon" and refrain from ad hominem attacks. When someone raises a problem they are having, it is not constructive to respond, (repeatedly) in effect "yeah, these cars all stink; you should have bought something else."

You have a personal agenda. I don't think you should take it out on others. Now I've just put you on my ignore list.
You know I think it's because of ppl like you and the paralegal law guy that potential 7 owners or people who want to keep the car longer term won't get the full picture of the 7 ie the good AND the bad.

The 7 is a great car but it's not perfect. OP asked about reliability of the car and I responded to the OP (not you or the paralegal) with common issues that occur and advised him to get a good Indy or a good warranty. Not sure why that bothers you or other people on this forum. It's called good advice and constructive criticism

I guess when the law guy said to the OP not to listen to me and that I was a Debbie downer, that was not, as you call it, an ad hominem attack? One of many before this post? Or is it only a one way street in your mind?

Also, I am truly disappointed I am on your ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #19
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

I bought my '16 750 in 6/2019 at 11k miles. In less than 2 years and 4k miles, I've had to replace the air suspension pump and the active grill air flaps--can't say I'm impressed with the flagship's long-term reliability.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep

I gotta be honest, youd be nieve to think a car with this much tech to be probelm free.

But reliability, in my opinion, is measured by if it leaves you stranded.

Are the soft close doors nice? Yes. Would i care if they failed? No.

Rear shades? Dont care.

The list goes on.

Now when talking about things that could leave you on the side of the road, yes i absolutely care. Things like the timing chain guides in the e38, or the transmission is the early e65/66, or the list of problems in the early N63 engines are real issues.

But its been proven that the n63TU and up are stout, the trans are stout, the suspension is pretty stout.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #21
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep

And id like to add, that if the little things failing like the active grill is a big deal to you, then you need to be buying new cars every couple years.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
And id like to add, that if the little things failing like the active grill is a big deal to you, then you need to be buying new cars every couple years.
Active grille is not a high-tech item, nothing but a thermostat-controlled actuator. The active grille on my '18 X3 broke in less than 2 years. May not be a deal breaker, but certainly doesn't inspire confidence when the CEL goes on when you're going 90 mph on the freeway.
Appreciate 0