BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-29-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11

Wheee to buy cheapest Shadowline grill?

I've been eyeing replacing my chrome grill with black but I'm still undecided, particularly when the UK BMW store quotes me £400 for a new grill . Could anyone point me in the right direction for something more reasonably priced, or is this the best I will get?
      12-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #2
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G11T11 View Post
I've been eyeing replacing my chrome grill with black but I'm still undecided, particularly when the UK BMW store quotes me £400 for a new grill . Could anyone point me in the right direction for something more reasonably priced, or is this the best I will get?
In fact, it's £600 on eBay from a genuine BMW Parts seller
      12-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #3
JustinP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M competition

They are £218 for both the left and right grills for my 2019 (pre LCI) from BMW

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk-respon...D_84364rechts/

You will need to enter your VIN for the website to give you the price for the 7 series
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post

You will need to enter your VIN for the website to give you the price for the 7 series
I saw that, but unfortunately I need the LCI grill.
      12-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
I had “bird” damage to my grill shortly after delivery, which broke a couple of the vanes. I found an entire drivers side grill (surround and vanes) on eBay for about £40. Was immaculate condition and after swapping cannot tell at all.

May be worth keeping an eye on eBay for a while, as whilst mine is a 2018, I have seen some used LCI parts on there.
      12-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
When you look at it as price per square foot, it isn’t too bad!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Quote:
When you look at it as price per square foot, it isn't too bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Quote:
When you look at it as price per square foot, it isn't too bad!
Guess that's the price you have to pay to drive a car with a double garage on the front
      12-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Quote:
I had “bird” damage to my grill shortly after delivery, which broke a couple of the vanes. I found an entire drivers side grill (surround and vanes) on eBay for about £40. Was immaculate condition and after swapping cannot tell at all.

May be worth keeping an eye on eBay for a while, as whilst mine is a 2018, I have seen some used LCI parts on there.
Well annoyingly the LCI grill is one big piece like on the G20, so I'd have to replace the whole thing if one side were to be damaged like in your case. I'll keep an eye on eBay though so thanks.
      12-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
uashruf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Although not the same thing, it may be worth it to see if a local shop that does vinyl car wrapping would be willing to do it. I did not get shadowline trim on my old B7, but I was able to get all the chrome bits redone with vinyl wrap. That being said, I did swap out the grills because it was pre LCI.

The cheapest I have seen the LCI grill in the US is $650. When my new 7 comes in, I am gonna try and have the grille wrapped before spending the money on the replacement. Not just to save money, but also to not have that chrome grille laying around, as I doubt anyone would be interested in buying it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:05 AM   #10
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uashruf View Post
Although not the same thing, it may be worth it to see if a local shop that does vinyl car wrapping would be willing to do it. I did not get shadowline trim on my old B7, but I was able to get all the chrome bits redone with vinyl wrap. That being said, I did swap out the grills because it was pre LCI.

The cheapest I have seen the LCI grill in the US is $650. When my new 7 comes in, I am gonna try and have the grille wrapped before spending the money on the replacement. Not just to save money, but also to not have that chrome grille laying around, as I doubt anyone would be interested in buying it.
The issue with that is I'm not sure that would be a very simple job since the LCI grill is a very complicated shape in terms of wrapping.
      12-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #11
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

I'm shocked with the price difference between the UK and Canada. I was quoted not too long ago by my local BMW dealer $700+ (including installation) for the front Grill. The Grill was over $400, using the below link it's 109 pounds. Even with a 1.74 conversation rate the cost is way lower than what I was quoted. What a rip-off.....

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:16 AM   #12
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
I'm shocked with the price difference between the UK and Canada. I was quoted not too long ago by my local BMW dealer $700+ (including installation) for the front Grill. The Grill was over $400, using the below link it's 109 pounds. Even with a 1.74 conversation rate the cost is way lower than what I was quoted. What a rip-off.....

Quote:

Thats interesting. The pre-LCI ones are reasonably priced now in the UK, but LCI prices are comparable to yours in Canada. Strange

In all honesty I don't even want a black grill anymore as I think the silver complements the front more
      01-03-2021, 02:40 AM   #13
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Hello from another Salopite

What about these? About the same size and a lot cheaper than £600

https://cannockgates.co.uk/shop/meta...s-3ft6in-high/
Appreciate 1
g11730d69.50
      01-03-2021, 03:55 AM   #14
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post

Looks like a reasonable upgrade, we’re it not for the fact that there is no provision for the front camera.
      01-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Walked straight into that one

On an unrelated note, the Chrome wheels on your G12 are fantastic. I would have loved to find a spec like that when I was shopping around but unfortunately they're so rare I gave up looking.
      01-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #16
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

On an unrelated note, the Chrome wheels on your G12 are fantastic. I would have loved to find a spec like that when I was shopping around but unfortunately they're so rare I gave up looking.
When I saw them online I wasn't overly sure. But given the spec and mileage of the car I decided to go and look anyway. My feeling was I could always change them. But once I saw them in the flesh I thought they made the car look quite elegant.

It's certainly a nice looking car and I have been surprised at how many young people comment favourably on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #17
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I saw them online I wasn't overly sure. But given the spec and mileage of the car I decided to go and look anyway. My feeling was I could always change them. But once I saw them in the flesh I thought they made the car look quite elegant.

It's certainly a nice looking car and I have been surprised at how many young people comment favourably on it.
Yeah it's more of a luxurious spec rather than my M Sport so I guess we're on opposite ends of the spectrum. I still really like both
Yours is still a very nice looking car. To be fair I looked for a M-Sport first. But wanted one with:

Laser lights
Comfort seats
Nappa leather
Harmon Kardon
Panoramic roof

I'd been searching for ages and this one cropped up. Given it was 2yrs old with only 11k miles in the clock. I thought it prudent to go and test drive it. Paid the deposit a week before I got there and drove it home the same day after getting £3.6k off the asking price.

My next one will be a LCI, hopefully to a similar spec. So might have to save that link I sent you.

I just wish they would sell the 750Ld in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #18
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it's more of a luxurious spec rather than my M Sport so I guess we're on opposite ends of the spectrum. I still really like both
Yours is still a very nice looking car. To be fair I looked for a M-Sport first. But wanted one with:

Laser lights
Comfort seats
Nappa leather
Harmon Kardon
Panoramic roof

I'd been searching for ages and this one cropped up. Given it was 2yrs old with only 11k miles in the clock. I thought it prudent to go and test drive it. Paid the deposit a week before I got there and drove it home the same day after getting £3.6k off the asking price.

My next one will be a LCI, hopefully to a similar spec. So might have to save that link I sent you.

I just wish they would sell the 750Ld in the UK.
Am I wrong in saying all G11/G12s have Comfort Seats, or are you talking about the rear? Personally I have standard rear seats as I never carry passengers, and having comfort rear seats would give people an excuse to ask for a ride

I'm more than happy with my Adaptive LEDs as they're essentially exactly the same as the Laserlight save for the laser module which I wouldn't get much use out of anyways.

Harmon Kardon is quite good. Much better than the already good BMW Advanced system I had in my pre-LCI 66 reg 730d.

If the grill is off-putting then I'm sure you will find an Extended Shadowline spec, although honestly I prefer the chrome

While the 750Ld is an amazing machine, I'm not really sure how 4 turbos would fare after some years. Sounds like maintenance hell haha. Incredible performance though.
      01-04-2021, 03:06 AM   #19
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Am I wrong in saying all G11/G12s have Comfort Seats, or are you talking about the rear? Personally I have standard rear seats as I never carry passengers, and having comfort rear seats would give people an excuse to ask for a ride

I'm more than happy with my Adaptive LEDs as they're essentially exactly the same as the Laserlight save for the laser module which I wouldn't get much use out of anyways.

Harmon Kardon is quite good. Much better than the already good BMW Advanced system I had in my pre-LCI 66 reg 730d.

If the grill is off-putting then I'm sure you will find an Extended Shadowline spec, although honestly I prefer the chrome

While the 750Ld is an amazing machine, I'm not really sure how 4 turbos would fare after some years. Sounds like maintenance hell haha. Incredible performance though.
I meant with the massage function. I have heated, ventilated and massaging seats front and rear.

I like to be able to travel in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:05 AM   #20
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I meant with the massage function. I have heated, ventilated and massaging seats front and rear.

I like to be able to travel in comfort.
Ah that's fair. Well enjoy your current G12 for now
      01-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #21
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

If you can find a good local paint shop, they can paint it professionally for much less money.
I've painted grilles on my 3 cars, by doing some sanding, base coat and couple of pearl black paint coats. It holds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:12 AM   #22
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:

I could try and help. I will ask my dealer in Germany for a set of OEMs.
Driving to Munich end of next week with my job.
Appreciate 0