BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
paul1e
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i-xDrive

Thumbs down Will Never Buy nother BMW

Last October I placed a factory order for a 2021 750i xDrive . On December 28, the car arrived at the port in New Jersey. When the car arrived at the port BMW did their customary quality control inspection before they would release the car for shipment to the dealer in New York. The inspection showed the the Visor Vanity Mirror had a crack and needed to be replaced. After 2 weeks at the Port, I asked the dealer when the car would be released. The dealer checked with the Port and was told the part is on backorder in Germany and they are not sure when it will be back in stock. The dealer then advised BMW that they had the part and asked the Port to release the car and they would replace the mirror and treat it as a warranty repair or they could send the mirror to the Port and let them install it. BMW answered and said they will not release the car until they receive the part through Germany. This is the height of bureaucracy and stupidity. If this was a part that affected safety or a major part I could understand it. So now I cannot get the car because a visor vanity mirror is on backorder in Germany and they will not accept the part that my dealer has. Not sure what to do at this point because I have no idea when the part will be back in stock and when it does get back in stock, it will be at least 30 days before it is shipped to the port, installed and the car is transported to the dealer !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

It is what it is. Cant go against their policy unfortunatley.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

It’s a bummer, but seems kind of extreme to disown them.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

The dealership you purchased from should put you in a comparable loaner while you wait.

When I custom ordered an X5 back in 2015 they gave us a pretty loaded 535i for the 2 months we were waiting.

Can't hurt to ask.
      01-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Elevate it to BMWNA. You have nothing to lose. Logic is on your side.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #6
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Elevate it to BMWNA. You have nothing to lose. Logic is on your side.
Try the dealer first. I've gone several rounds with BMWNA and by the time you get a decent response your car will probably be ready anyway.

Especially with the new management, corporate simply isn't as accommodating as they used to be.

Car in point: my 2019 750 has been in service for over 140 days since I've owned it. Spent the better part of a year trying to get some type of compensation. After being promised the world by numerous customer relations people, the final offer was 1 month payment waiver; and they wouldn't budge off that.
      01-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
paul1e
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i-xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
It is what it is. Cant go against their policy unfortunatley.
When their policy is so intractable that it lacks common sense will result in lost customers. If I have a car that will end up being held at the port for 2 months awaiting a part (visor vanity mirror) that my dealer can provide, is when I no longer will do business with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve had a couple of Benz’s. Their customer service ain’t any better. Just saying.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #9
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1e View Post
Last October I placed a factory order for a 2021 750i xDrive . On December 28, the car arrived at the port in New Jersey. When the car arrived at the port BMW did their customary quality control inspection before they would release the car for shipment to the dealer in New York. The inspection showed the the Visor Vanity Mirror had a crack and needed to be replaced. After 2 weeks at the Port, I asked the dealer when the car would be released. The dealer checked with the Port and was told the part is on backorder in Germany and they are not sure when it will be back in stock. The dealer then advised BMW that they had the part and asked the Port to release the car and they would replace the mirror and treat it as a warranty repair or they could send the mirror to the Port and let them install it. BMW answered and said they will not release the car until they receive the part through Germany. This is the height of bureaucracy and stupidity. If this was a part that affected safety or a major part I could understand it. So now I cannot get the car because a visor vanity mirror is on backorder in Germany and they will not accept the part that my dealer has. Not sure what to do at this point because I have no idea when the part will be back in stock and when it does get back in stock, it will be at least 30 days before it is shipped to the port, installed and the car is transported to the dealer !!!
I fully understand you being upset about the ordeal. Writing them off completely seems harsh though.

Firstly, they're dealing with likely supply issues due to COVID. Can't blame BMW for that. Secondly, the dealer doesn't own the car until it shows up on their lot. BMW can't set a precedent that the dealer can take delivery when they want. Then you could potentially have flatbeds showing up at docks for them to find a single vehicle among hundreds or thousands at a location not setup for that. Thirdly, I don't think other manufacturers would be any different. You could theoretically switch and never have this issue again but it is just as likely you don't and never have it again. And lastly, if the dealer feels strongly that they should be helping you then they should give you a loaner until the car is released.

Just my opinion. Lousy situation for all involved but you'll be better off in the long run accepting a fully functional vehicle.

What if the dealer made such a stink that they were able to take the car but since the quality docs weren't signed off the warranty was voided? That might be the issue. You want to assume the risk?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
I’ve had a couple of Benz’s. Their customer service ain’t any better. Just saying.
Yes, MB service and BMW service are comparable. I've had pretty good luck with both (my local MB and BMW dealers are part of same corporation, though in different locations). This one has to do with corporate policies, and the rules from corporate BMW seem inflexible and in this case, unreasonable. But somewhere in this process I suspect is a legal reason BMW corporate is balking.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve had great service advisors at both Mercedes and BMW. Far better than the service advisors I’ve had it Audi/VOLVO for my wife’s cars.

But, I’ve not been thrilled about a couple of decisions made corporately by the German folks which I did not think were reasonable when talking about warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

If this gets to you I would suggest you purchase a Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #13
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1e View Post
I fully understand you being upset about the ordeal. Writing them off completely seems harsh though.

Firstly, they're dealing with likely supply issues due to COVID. Can't blame BMW for that. Secondly, the dealer doesn't own the car until it shows up on their lot. BMW can't set a precedent that the dealer can take delivery when they want. Then you could potentially have flatbeds showing up at docks for them to find a single vehicle among hundreds or thousands at a location not setup for that. Thirdly, I don't think other manufacturers would be any different. You could theoretically switch and never have this issue again but it is just as likely you don't and never have it again. And lastly, if the dealer feels strongly that they should be helping you then they should give you a loaner until the car is released.

Just my opinion. Lousy situation for all involved but you'll be better off in the long run accepting a fully functional vehicle.

What if the dealer made such a stink that they were able to take the car but since the quality docs weren't signed off the warranty was voided? That might be the issue. You want to assume the risk?
I am sorry but this logic is just as bad as BMWs logic.
You don't go to port and take car. BMW releases car with note saying damage to mirror and will be covered by warranty. When part comes in, send to dealer for the repair. BMW is trying to save money by getting port to do it instead of paying the dealer. Customer should be number 1 as long as it makes sense. Why would you deny warranty just because you release car to dealership with a minor problem?
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50