BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-26-2021, 11:26 PM   #111
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Why are people bashing the idea of a CSL and assuming it will be something superficial like an "appearance package"? That's not the case with all the CS models that have been released so why would it be true for a CSL? On a subjective note the G80 is bigger, heavier, uglier, and with a lesser transmission than the F80. It's not a product of Biermann. For those who want to argue the point don't bother my mind is made up. So I hope a CS or CSL really elevate this car to something that's a lot lighter and more special.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #112
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]...wishing...[/COLOR]

Attachment 2635590
….for a meteor to strike that vehicle from the earth and a sorcerer to wipe the image from my mind?

Me too.
      06-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #113
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
...wishing...
Attachment 2635590
Car designer Karim Habib is no longer part of BMW (left in 2017), unfortunately.

Name:  Karim_Habib_BMW.png
Views: 999
Size:  698.3 KB

Karim Habib and Domagoj Đukec:

BMW used "Golf Yellow" (BMW paint code 070) for the BMW 3.0 CSL a few decades ago, with an encore in 2015 for the BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage.

06-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #114
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
So I hope a CS or CSL really elevate this car to something that's a lot lighter and more special.
You can keep hoping, consider the former 'special' M4 GTS is only 60 lbs lighter than the standard M4

The last time the letters 'CSL' was used was 2004, the E46 version was about 300 lbs lighter than the standard car. A figure unlikely to be anywhere near attainable today for a road car unless there is a huge amount of carbon intervention, which means $$$.

Times have changed, BMW themselves have changed, these 'driver' centric models for the well heeled customer doesn't make them money nor their current marketing direction. Call me a party pooper, but an enthusiast centered model, light weight, more power, that drives well, wont make it past marketing.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #115
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
You can keep hoping, consider the former 'special' M4 GTS is only 60 lbs lighter than the standard M4
The last time the letters 'CSL' was used was 2004, the E46 version was about 300 lbs lighter than the standard car. A figure unlikely to be anywhere near attainable today for a road car unless there is a huge amount of carbon intervention, which means $$$.
Times have changed, BMW themselves have changed, these 'driver' centric models for the well heeled customer doesn't make them money nor their current marketing direction. Call me a party pooper, but an enthusiast centered model, light weight, more power, that drives well, wont make it past marketing.
Mark my words: BMW will release a CSL model in a not so distant future.

Just curious to know whether BMW will keep "Leichtbau" (Lightweight) of "CSL" or replace it with another buzzword starting with the letter "L" ("Leader", "League", "Legacy", "Legend", "Luxury", etc.).

Sacrilege ? Remember what Porsche shamelessly pulled recently:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
The CS probably doesn’t stand for Clubsport because BMW used to have a regular 3 series model called Clubsport.
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-...0ci-clubsport/
That was 2002, an era even right before the E46 M3 CSL was launched, where "C" still stood for "Coupé". See this dedicated thread about "CS" and "CSL" model designations in the past.

Different example: oldskool 911 Turbo (for example 993 Turbo - what a motoring marvel). With the 911 gone turbo as standard feature nowadays, the "turbo" name had to be repositioned (see for example here). And so Porsche released for example a "Taycan Turbo" ...which has no turbo !

00:36-01:35: "It's a promise" ?!?