BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-15-2018, 03:49 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
What road trip would you do in your 7 if you could?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
If time/money were not an issue, what section of road (worldwide) would you drive with a 7 (or Alpina variant if we are doing no limitations)? So, what is your dream road that you have always wanted to drive? (Or for those lucky enough, maybe you do it everyday already...but where is this dream road you drive?)

Would be good to hear what and where these roads are and see if some of us can help the dream a bit by driving a stretch of it sometime and talking or posting pictures of it...

I've driven a lovely stretch of road in Scotland that I'd love to do again in the 7 and I'll post details about that one, it was the scenery and absence of cars that made that magical.

I'd love to do some of the mountain roads in the Austrian/Italian Suedtirol area, again did that in a previous car (not BMW) tired and at night in Winter but always fancied coming back to do it again in the 7.

I'd fancy a good US road trip through some iconic stretch of road or geography that is changing with the wider roads, great vistas and lower traffic, slower pace of life for a few days....not done that yet.

You? Discuss, c'mon, share your secret strip of road or your dream...
      03-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Yeah the north coast 500 is on my list simply because it's in the UK and zero excuse not to do it sometime. No hassle with driving on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.northcoast500.com/

Your right though, must be some lovely roads to drive around Europe as well. Just have to make sure I stay on the correct side of the road
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah the north coast 500 is on my list simply because it's in the UK and zero excuse not to do it sometime. No hassle with driving on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.northcoast500.com/

Your right though, must be some lovely roads to drive around Europe as well. Just have to make sure I stay on the correct side of the road
Yes, indeed, very nice route...very up for that (separately or together) thanks for the link. ^

The route goes past a section of land where my surname is originally from and Ive always wanted to go and see it in person but just not done it to date. ^ Should be some stunning scenery along that route and indeed would be a shame to not visit a distillery or two...

As to driving on the wrong side of the road...you can do it all you like, you just need to have the power to move back once in a while without causing a collision!
      03-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
As to driving on the wrong side of the road...you can do it all you like, you just need to have the power to move back once in a while without causing a collision!
When I've driving in the US it's been no problem as your hiring a car with the wheel on the correct side for that country. However it's harder I think at least for me to get my head around it when I'm in my own car, sat on the wrong side of the car now.

At least with my LWB 7 series other than a lorry I should do alright playing chicken with the foreigners

Somewhere Europe with some nice driving roads to get there could be good. The one concern is I suspect all the nicest roads with the best scenery are often pretty slim roads. Maybe not quite so suited to a carrier sized car Scotland is likely the same with the one saving grace if you get it at the right time it's probably deserted.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
When I've driving in the US it's been no problem as your hiring a car with the wheel on the correct side for that country. However it's harder I think at least for me to get my head around it when I'm in my own car, sat on the wrong side of the car now.

At least with my LWB 7 series other than a lorry I should do alright playing chicken with the foreigners

Somewhere Europe with some nice driving roads to get there could be good. The one concern is I suspect all the nicest roads with the best scenery are often pretty slim roads. Maybe not quite so suited to a carrier sized car Scotland is likely the same with the one saving grace if you get it at the right time it's probably deserted.
Agree, preference is to use a car native to the land where the driving is done as then you don't have the familiarity of your own car but need to remember to drive on the other side or vice versa...

There is a great strip of road called the B500 secondary road going from Baden Baden in Southern Germany down the spine of the Black Forest towards Switzerland that has lovely wide roads and fast sweeping curves rather than hairpins...it is very nice in good weather and a lovely run for a 7 sized car with the benefits of stunning scenery and great pit stops along the way (thermal baths in Baden Baden (a Bath like history and city equivalent in Germany) to great local food and venues along the route with stops if one wanted to for various museums (history of Black Forest farm houses and way of life to clock making)...

Driving anywhere around the alps is great, especially where the larger lakes are located as then you get the warm conditions, nice roads, stunning views and of course the food...ah, the food!

Anyone else have any great drives they do or would like to do in their 7?
      03-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
If time/money were not an issue, what section of road (worldwide) would you drive with a 7 (or Alpina variant if we are doing no limitations)? So, what is your dream road that you have always wanted to drive? (Or for those lucky enough, maybe you do it everyday already...but where is this dream road you drive?)

Would be good to hear what and where these roads are and see if some of us can help the dream a bit by driving a stretch of it sometime and talking or posting pictures of it...

I've driven a lovely stretch of road in Scotland that I'd love to do again in the 7 and I'll post details about that one, it was the scenery and absence of cars that made that magical.

I'd love to do some of the mountain roads in the Austrian/Italian Suedtirol area, again did that in a previous car (not BMW) tired and at night in Winter but always fancied coming back to do it again in the 7.

I'd fancy a good US road trip through some iconic stretch of road or geography that is changing with the wider roads, great vistas and lower traffic, slower pace of life for a few days....not done that yet.

You? Discuss, c'mon, share your secret strip of road or your dream...
No road trips without lugging a full sized spare.

It eats up boot space real fast.
Appreciate 0