BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

09-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Mac for life.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #46
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Nice, congrats. Yup you won't be going back, and you'll always be amazed at what people put up with on windows. I have the 2.5 15", are you running Snow Leopard? if not its only $30 if you would pay for it..

edit, just saw comment about BB, I believe iphone does have its problems, but what about the BB keeps you from moving to the iphone? and please don't say keyboard, because beleive it or not, its actually much quicker.
Yes I run Snow Leopard. Its pretty nice.

I love the BB Bold for how it gets things done efficiently. I need a keyboard with tactile feedback. The keyboard on the iPhone is nonsense for typing out a lengthy email or text. Till a month ago you couldn't even turn the thing sideways to type, not that it even helps. I just need more then one button on my phone, the touch screen thing is a novelty to me on a cell phone. I also don't play video games like a 16 year old on my cell phone, so most apps are redundant for me. Not to mention pins and blackberry messenger can't be beat.. I actually hate having to send an SMS when I could pin or use bbm. I use my phone for business and communicating with employees, friends, and family. Nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #47
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have a mac book pro and Love it! It's my first mac and I've had it for 2.5 years and it's been rock solid. Mac won me over... I have plenty of iPods including the iTouch. I haven't and probably wont be converting from my BB to iPhone though.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #48
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

I am going to buy a Macbook in about 2012 once I use up the warranty my rents got for me on this XPS M1530 for school. Biggest piece of shit ever. Never getting a Dell again. Love Windows, hate this hardware. A LOT. I've utilized my warranty so much that I can't imagine having this laptop without it! Hardware failures, little plastic pieces breaking galore (there are like 50 billion pieces that make up the case of this laptop) from general usage, etc. And don't get me started on their depot service.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #49
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Ive been on macs for quite a while now. However im forced to using a windows os for gaming. I wish that mac would make an affordable and upgradeable gaming rig. I love being able to go to newegg and buy the latest part and swap it in the gaming rig.

Ive got a mac mini and gaming rig hooked up to a 30in monitor. Heres a question though. On the bluetooth mouse/keyboard, how do you set the mac to sleep and turn the mouse off? Once you put it to sleep, you cant turn off the mouse because that wakes the mac up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #50
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Former iPhone 2G and 3G owner (currently 3GS) here. Also a 13" MBP.

My main desktops (at home and work) are Windows though. The Mac is nice for home, but really isn't ready for business use. The build quality is simply amazing. Also have a Sony netbook.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #51
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubbz View Post
the bb has it's own network that allows you to communicate with others who also have a BB. BB>iPhone from any stand point other than browsing.

and btw. WAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJAJAJAJA
I don't see blackberry>iphone in any way other than the keyboard,and thats a stretch because the touch keyboard is much better anyone who says any different has never actually tried to use it without a bias mind. I had a blackberry, I had used to have a palm, iphone is seriously better in every which way to every phone on the market, depsite its problems, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
the main problem for me was it kept freezing on me which was very annoying because at the time it was the only computer i had access to. Although apple did offered me a new one, but i didn't want to bother with it because i need it for my school work and didn't want to risk it shitting on me again. I now have a HP which I'm pretty happy with although it doesn't look "cool" it doesn't freeze on me at least.
Very odd, maybe you have a faulty unit, sucks because im pretty sure you'd be better off. the looks is nothing compared to the actual use of the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Yes I run Snow Leopard. Its pretty nice.

I love the BB Bold for how it gets things done efficiently. I need a keyboard with tactile feedback. The keyboard on the iPhone is nonsense for typing out a lengthy email or text. Till a month ago you couldn't even turn the thing sideways to type, not that it even helps. I just need more then one button on my phone, the touch screen thing is a novelty to me on a cell phone. I also don't play video games like a 16 year old on my cell phone, so most apps are redundant for me. Not to mention pins and blackberry messenger can't be beat.. I actually hate having to send an SMS when I could pin or use bbm. I use my phone for business and communicating with employees, friends, and family. Nothing else.
there are many other apps other than games, also you better get used to the keyboard being touch, as you see with the storm its slowly going to be going away. the keyboard is really good, and will continue to get better as they implement better methods(creator of t9 is working on it). i cant speak on pin or bbm, but everyone i know uses other systems(gtalk,aim,msn,yahoo)etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Ive been on macs for quite a while now. However im forced to using a windows os for gaming. I wish that mac would make an affordable and upgradeable gaming rig. I love being able to go to newegg and buy the latest part and swap it in the gaming rig.

Ive got a mac mini and gaming rig hooked up to a 30in monitor. Heres a question though. On the bluetooth mouse/keyboard, how do you set the mac to sleep and turn the mouse off? Once you put it to sleep, you cant turn off the mouse because that wakes the mac up.
yeah gaming is a problem, but thats only because mac only holds like 10-15% of the market. i dont think they will ever make a gaming rig where you can swap out parts like you can do on pcs. they are a hardware company first.... and the question about the mouse, i usually put the mac to sleep and switch the mouse off at the same time gotta do it quickly, im sure theres another way but i never looked, it probably goes to sleep on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Former iPhone 2G and 3G owner (currently 3GS) here. Also a 13" MBP.

My main desktops (at home and work) are Windows though. The Mac is nice for home, but really isn't ready for business use. The build quality is simply amazing. Also have a Sony netbook.
Why is it not ready for business use? You know you can run it side by side right? but im curious to know why its not ready for biz use
      09-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #52
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

Been a mac owner since June. Mac's FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #53
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Mac user since late 80s. Owner since the early 90s, I think I got my first powerbook in '92. Watch out, it had a whopping 6MB of RAM. And it cost me in the neighborhood of $3k. But, I could use pagemaker on it ... NICE!!! I have been mac faithful ever since. Currently I am rocking a MacbookPro and an old G5.

At work we also use macs only. I work in the sound business, making sound effects for feature films. And in that arena, pretty you will only find macs. Macs running ProTools. Some mixing boards use windoze for their automation computers, but most everything else is mac.

Currently I am using 10.6.1 with a heavy reliance on ProTools and QuicKeys. Although one big love is google earth...Mmmmmm, love me some Google Earth browsing. Planned many a fun road trip with that little app.

edit: and hey, my screen name here is the name of my old extra powerbook. Back when the titanium G4 powerbooks came out, I grabbed 2 of them. One was TiBook (Titanium Powerbook), the other was xBook (Extra Powerbook).
      09-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #54
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Macs are awesome...Hands down...And now since Snow Leopard has built in Exchange support in mail....I really don't need to use a PC at all...Plusssssssss WOW works...DONE!!! end of story...diskutil eraseDisk
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #55
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post

Put the mouse to sleep, then do Option-Command-Eject on the keyboard to sleep your Mac.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #56
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Put the mouse to sleep, then do Option-Command-Eject on the keyboard to sleep your Mac.
left-right-up-down?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #57
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
left-right-up-down?
No no.... that would unlock a secret level in the OS X Chess game.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #58
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why is it not ready for business use? You know you can run it side by side right? but im curious to know why its not ready for biz use
It's a pain in the ass, to be quite blunt. I'm in IT, so I'm very familiar with virtualization and the like, but that's not practical. Why bother with a Mac if you're going to boot up XP and run Outlook and other software companies use daily? It's fine for business use if you're typing documents in Word all day, but then again, why use Office 2008 for Mac when 2007 on the PC is superior in every way.

Snow Leopard brings Exchange support which is welcomed. But until they make Outlook that fully supports all of Exchange's features, it's just not practical. Entourage doesn't cut it.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #59
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a pain in the ass, to be quite blunt. I'm in IT, so I'm very familiar with virtualization and the like, but that's not practical. Why bother with a Mac if you're going to boot up XP and run Outlook and other software companies use daily? It's fine for business use if you're typing documents in Word all day, but then again, why use Office 2008 for Mac when 2007 on the PC is superior in every way.

Snow Leopard brings Exchange support which is welcomed. But until they make Outlook that fully supports all of Exchange's features, it's just not practical. Entourage doesn't cut it.
I didn't see any specific problems... I think virtualization is pretty practical since its running windows program in coherence mode and ends up being better than if you were to just run it in windows, but if you could share some specific things lacking. I hear people say this all the time, but other than running specific programs what else is there?
      09-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #60
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't see any specific problems... I think virtualization is pretty practical since its running windows program in coherence mode and ends up being better than if you were to just run it in windows, but if you could share some specific things lacking. I hear people say this all the time, but other than running specific programs what else is there?
Virtualization is good, and the applications that make it happen on OSX work well. But it is most certainly not "better" to run a native Windows application in a virtualized Windows environment on OSX. Running specific programs may seem minor, but that's the deal breaker for most businesses. Applications (custom or otherwise) need to run flawlessly, and need to do so with as little effort from the end-user as possible.

Virtualization works, but it's just an extra step for the end-user that makes it impractical. For a savvy user like you or I, it works well (I do it all the time). Giving end-users Macbooks and telling them they need to boot Windows on top of OSX to run specific applications doesn't work. ID10T errors all over the place.

Bootcamp is a valid option I suppose, but again - extra steps. Apple doesn't support Windows. I couldn't recommend Macbooks to a company which uses Exchange and Windows Servers on a Windows network. Nor could I be responsible for supporting Windows on those machines. If stuff breaks (which it always does when you're talking 100s of users), the machines need to be fully supported by the manufacturer.

I like my Macbook very much. The 13" MBP is my second one. Like I said, the quality is superior to just about anything on the market today. And OSX is nice and runs very well. There's tons of things to like about the Mac. It really comes down to software developers (from Microsoft to Bob's Software) creating and supporting more software on the Mac. There's lots of software already created specifically for the Mac which is fantastic (there are several Mac-only applications that I love), but Windows has exponentially more available. OSX continues to gain market share, so I think we'll see a trend toward this in the future.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #61
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Oh yeah. I never remember to use the keyboard short cuts. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #62
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Virtualization is good, and the applications that make it happen on OSX work well. But it is most certainly not "better" to run a native Windows application in a virtualized Windows environment on OSX. Running specific programs may seem minor, but that's the deal breaker for most businesses. Applications (custom or otherwise) need to run flawlessly, and need to do so with as little effort from the end-user as possible.

Virtualization works, but it's just an extra step for the end-user that makes it impractical. For a savvy user like you or I, it works well (I do it all the time). Giving end-users Macbooks and telling them they need to boot Windows on top of OSX to run specific applications doesn't work. ID10T errors all over the place.

Bootcamp is a valid option I suppose, but again - extra steps. Apple doesn't support Windows. I couldn't recommend Macbooks to a company which uses Exchange and Windows Servers on a Windows network. Nor could I be responsible for supporting Windows on those machines. If stuff breaks (which it always does when you're talking 100s of users), the machines need to be fully supported by the manufacturer.

I like my Macbook very much. The 13" MBP is my second one. Like I said, the quality is superior to just about anything on the market today. And OSX is nice and runs very well. There's tons of things to like about the Mac. It really comes down to software developers (from Microsoft to Bob's Software) creating and supporting more software on the Mac. There's lots of software already created specifically for the Mac which is fantastic (there are several Mac-only applications that I love), but Windows has exponentially more available. OSX continues to gain market share, so I think we'll see a trend toward this in the future.
Definitely for the average user its too much to ask, hell running windows for the average person is complicated enough.
      09-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #63
Bomex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 N55

This is the MAC anthem lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #64
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely for the average user its too much to ask, hell running windows for the average person is complicated enough.
True enough!

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #65
bmdubbz
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90

Actually xtac the blackberry has a touch screen phone too. I have it so it's not like you can't have that feature on a bb.

BmDblU hit the nail right on the head with his post. It's a novelty. The iPhone is a piece of dirt unless you're a 16 year old and the only ppl who defend them are the owners. Once you get a bb you'll realize how much better it is.

jakna.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #66
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubbz View Post
Actually xtac the blackberry has a touch screen phone too. I have it so it's not like you can't have that feature on a bb.

BmDblU hit the nail right on the head with his post. It's a novelty. The iPhone is a piece of dirt unless you're a 16 year old and the only ppl who defend them are the owners. Once you get a bb you'll realize how much better it is.

jakna.
The iphone is a piece of dirt? The bb will sync my movies, music, mail, etc better then my iphone does? lol. The bb can play games like the iphone can? again, lol. The bb has an app store with tens of thousands of apps many of them free? yet again, lol.
Appreciate 0