BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #89
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaipwros View Post
so does Ford Mondeo
True, even if completely irrelevant for the purposes of the current discussion.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #90
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Anyone know why they always blurr out the testdriver's

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #91
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Anyone know why they always blurr out the testdriver's
So they don't get speeding ticket
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #92
Llewelyn
Rep
Drives: G11 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Some further points, could just be that this is a test car so a mix of things but can't help notice:

-the temperature sliders below the upper vents are not lit and may therefore no longer be wanted/needed?

-as this is the 760, it should have the air suspension raising button below the surround view camera button (below the EDC buttons beside the gear selector). Is this now in iDrive setting or gone?

-ambient air button not on HVAC control screen, isn't that a standard feature in the 760? (or this newer prototype?)

-what on earth is the diameter 2.7 indicator on the new cockpit display (lower right)...surely not 2.7 mpg?

-do they need a film over the displays to make them work? (hence why the 'don't remove' stickers?

-maybe the all digital cockpit will grow on me but first impression is that I like the current one better! (hard to say what new displays they can produce though besides this one so that could be quite visually stunning if they wanted to make it so.
-the temperature sliders will not lit up if the a/c is turned off.

-I personally found the air suspension adjusting button useless, use sport mode to get lower and comfort mode to raise back is much simpler.

-ambient air is not standard on M760, but no one bothers to pay $350 extra given its $150K base price.

-it's average mpg indicator, same symbol on current model.

-current cockpit style fits perfectly with the sport displays. Not sure if they are going to upgrade the sport displays as well.

-plastic top on the iDrive fob is pure ugly, ceramic control looks much better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:12 AM   #93
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
-the temperature sliders will not lit up if the a/c is turned off.

-I personally found the air suspension adjusting button useless, use sport mode to get lower and comfort mode to raise back is much simpler.

-ambient air is not standard on M760, but no one bothers to pay $350 extra given its $150K base price.

-it's average mpg indicator, same symbol on current model.

-current cockpit style fits perfectly with the sport displays. Not sure if they are going to upgrade the sport displays as well.

-plastic top on the iDrive fob is pure ugly, ceramic control looks much better.
Hi Llewelyn, thanks for the comments and corrections, welcome to the forum and the 7 series subforum, please do continue to contribute and it would be great to see more pics of your 7!

-thanks, I've never turned the HVAC completely off in my current car so didn't realise the temperature slider also goes 'off' in that situation, thanks for pointing that out, every day is a school day!

-it may be different with US configurations, (given another point below) but the suspension button is meant to raise the suspension up higher than 'normal', so higher than when in comfort mode. The idea was to allow cars to go over the odd field or gravel road with pot holes without bottoming out, it only works up to a certain speed (25ish mph iIRC) then it lowers automatically again to comfort 'standard' settings, or you can press the button and lower it again obviously. So sport mode lowers it, as you know, comfort mode is standard setting (higher than sport) and this button raises it further to give even more clearance. (it looks like a 4 x4 for clearance when it is finished being raised!) Hope that clarifies what I was discussing, it was a separate button below the other buttons for surround camera and parking assist. Hope that makes sense. I will grant it is only useful in very few occasions and not something one uses generally but still I find it useful to have for that odd time one goes over a field or bad road (here in the UK at least).

-A good point about country specs. I'm flabbergasted that ambient air isn't standard on the 760 in the US, it certainly is in the UK, and checking the German configurator it appears the Germans have to pay for it on the 760 as well...unbelievable but true...we have it good in the UK. Enough said! Thanks for pointing this out, it may not have been spec'd on this one so not necessarily a removal of the feature from the 7 series.

-hah, caught out! not realised that the same symbol was used already for mpg, thanks, need to get better glasses it seems! Rather poor fuel economy I have to say then but maybe it was just reset...

-agree, I'm a fan of the current style displays myself, not needing a 'modern' take on it personally, but if it can continue to offer the standard dials as well as this bar graph style for those that want it, we all win and that would be good...just not at the expense of our current dial display (or a bit touched up as you have indicated may be of interest)

-we're in agreement on the ceramic controls being better looking and more pleasant to touch. Should be standard on this level of car...

Good points, thanks, once again welcome to the forum, please do continue to contribute and if you feel up to it, I'm sure that we'd all love to see some pics of your ride (in the 'post the best picture of your ride' thread or elsewhere on this forum.

Safe travels.
      03-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #94
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
It's different though. Effectively you've got:

Comfort: 135mm standard ride height
Sport: -10mm ride height from standard (It's -20mm on the M760Li)
Raised Ride: +20mm ride height from standard

So that button takes the car to like 155mm height which is high but only keeps it at slow speeds as Pelo Cat said. One to use occasionally for really crap surfaces, going a little off road at slow speeds but that's it.

Quote:
Standard in the UK on the M760Li. Infact there's almost no options on the M760Li because it comes with almost everything standard here.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #95
Llewelyn
Rep

Quote:
Hi Llewelyn, thanks for the comments and corrections, welcome to the forum and the 7 series subforum, please do continue to contribute and it would be great to see more pics of your 7!

-thanks, I've never turned the HVAC completely off in my current car so didn't realise the temperature slider also goes 'off' in that situation, thanks for pointing that out, every day is a school day!

-it may be different with US configurations, (given another point below) but the suspension button is meant to raise the suspension up higher than 'normal', so higher than when in comfort mode. The idea was to allow cars to go over the odd field or gravel road with pot holes without bottoming out, it only works up to a certain speed (25ish mph iIRC) then it lowers automatically again to comfort 'standard' settings, or you can press the button and lower it again obviously. So sport mode lowers it, as you know, comfort mode is standard setting (higher than sport) and this button raises it further to give even more clearance. (it looks like a 4 x4 for clearance when it is finished being raised!) Hope that clarifies what I was discussing, it was a separate button below the other buttons for surround camera and parking assist. Hope that makes sense. I will grant it is only useful in very few occasions and not something one uses generally but still I find it useful to have for that odd time one goes over a field or bad road (here in the UK at least).

-A good point about country specs. I'm flabbergasted that ambient air isn't standard on the 760 in the US, it certainly is in the UK, and checking the German configurator it appears the Germans have to pay for it on the 760 as well...unbelievable but true...we have it good in the UK. Enough said! Thanks for pointing this out, it may not have been spec'd on this one so not necessarily a removal of the feature from the 7 series.

-hah, caught out! not realised that the same symbol was used already for mpg, thanks, need to get better glasses it seems! Rather poor fuel economy I have to say then but maybe it was just reset...

-agree, I'm a fan of the current style displays myself, not needing a 'modern' take on it personally, but if it can continue to offer the standard dials as well as this bar graph style for those that want it, we all win and that would be good...just not at the expense of our current dial display (or a bit touched up as you have indicated may be of interest)

-we're in agreement on the ceramic controls being better looking and more pleasant to touch. Should be standard on this level of car...

Good points, thanks, once again welcome to the forum, please do continue to contribute and if you feel up to it, I'm sure that we'd all love to see some pics of your ride (in the 'post the best picture of your ride' thread or elsewhere on this forum.

Safe travels.
Thank you! I'm very glad to join the community. Good to learn the vehicle can be raised further on the standard height, I've never being aware of this useful function, and it sure gives a lot more confidence under extreme circumstances. I'm sorry that I should have notice the standard configuration is different from place to place. I found the remote parking system also coming standard on some UK models. Very few US dealers have such configuration in stock when I bought my car back in September 16', and unfortunately, my car doesn't come with such function. I hope I can try it some day.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #96
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Safe travels.
Thank you! I'm very glad to join the community. Good to learn the vehicle can be raised further on the standard height, I've never being aware of this useful function, and it sure gives a lot more confidence under extreme circumstances. I'm sorry that I should have notice the standard configuration is different from place to place. I found the remote parking system also coming standard on some UK models. Very few US dealers have such configuration in stock when I bought my car back in September 16', and unfortunately, my car doesn't come with such function. I hope I can try it some day.
Hey welcome to the forum and no problems at all not knowing the spec changes across countries. I find this really annoying on Mercedes to be honest because in the UK they don't even offer some things as an option like their highest stereo option and cooled seats. Yet you can get them on the same cars in other countries. It makes no sense to me as they all come from the same factory, give people an option to specify the car with all the options possible.

The remote parking feature wasn't available on the G11 / G12 right at launch so an early 2016 model might not have even been able to have it as an option. I'll see how good it is in a couple of weeks hopefully and report back. UK garages aren't particularly wide so be interesting to see if it can handle that.

I guess probably the one other difference is I suspect most of the sales in the UK people specify their cars as they want vs pick one up the dealer already has in. They do generally have some new cars in of course but I suspect by far most are factory orders. That probably works better for us when the factory isn't quite so far away.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #97
Llewelyn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Hey welcome to the forum and no problems at all not knowing the spec changes across countries. I find this really annoying on Mercedes to be honest because in the UK they don't even offer some things as an option like their highest stereo option and cooled seats. Yet you can get them on the same cars in other countries. It makes no sense to me as they all come from the same factory, give people an option to specify the car with all the options possible.

The remote parking feature wasn't available on the G11 / G12 right at launch so an early 2016 model might not have even been able to have it as an option. I'll see how good it is in a couple of weeks hopefully and report back. UK garages aren't particularly wide so be interesting to see if it can handle that.

I guess probably the one other difference is I suspect most of the sales in the UK people specify their cars as they want vs pick one up the dealer already has in. They do generally have some new cars in of course but I suspect by far most are factory orders. That probably works better for us when the factory isn't quite so far away.
Please do share your feeling about the M760, it must be so much fun to drive. US dealers are desperate to get their inventory moving out. They usually offer a much attractive discount on stocked car than the personalized vehicle. I got nearly $15K off in total, which is a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #98
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

Please do share your feeling about the M760, it must be so much fun to drive. US dealers are desperate to get their inventory moving out. They usually offer a much attractive discount on stocked car than the personalized vehicle. I got nearly $15K off in total, which is a bargain.
Yeah will do. I've had one for a day before I ordered so have it a good drive then so have a good idea however nothing like some extended ownership.

The discounts on the M760 are higher than the base models. Think in the region of £30k which is probably just over $40k in US dollars. Obviously it's a much more expensive model as well but those discounts do a good job of eating up the additional depreciation you get from a V12. Maybe not the same in the US but they don't hold their value all that well here.
Appreciate 0