BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Passenger side wing mirror not automatically dimming

Another interesting and slightly disappointing fact I have found out today...even on the 7 series (G models) the passenger side wing mirror does not automatically dim. (noticed it is not on our 2018 4 series hence why I checked on the 7 then afterwards).

Obviously the driver's side mirror and rear view mirror do (dim automatically based on sensors on the front and back of the rear view mirror) but not the passenger side mirror, apparently that was changed back late 2015 IIRC and since then they save a bit of money by not doing it on that side or on any model (although the standard specification sheet says that exterior mirrors are automatically dimming my VIN specific manual says only driver side mirror does.

I have to admit I haven't noticed until now (so not of large consequence but still disappointing) and have only read this but haven't been able to prove it myself yet...anyone else notice this or confirm / correct this statement? Does yours dim on that side and if so what year do you have? (your BMW app VIN specific manual will tell you as well in the chapter: controls / adjusting / mirrors / automatically dimming section.

Thanks. Curious to hear what others have in this regard and if it changed in UK spec in late 2015 or another time and if it has indeed changed back to both dimming again...Safe travels.
      08-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Interesting. Only had mine 3 months so not driven in much when it’s properly dark....will check at some point. My late 2014 535d had 2 x dimming external mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

I remember seeing on dealerspeed that for whatever reason (penny pinching I'm sure)
that many of the cars in BMWs lineup lost the autodimming functionality just in the last few years for the passenger mirror.
Same thing with the headlight washers on many cars and the F15 X5s double venting moonroof.
I'd double check to see if you can see the telltale sign on a dimming mirror by trying to see the 2 different layers in the glass

BMW is pretty bad about telling us little changes like this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Another interesting and slightly disappointing fact I have found out today...even on the 7 series (G models) the passenger side wing mirror does not automatically dim. (noticed it is not on our 2018 4 series hence why I checked on the 7 then afterwards).

Obviously the driver's side mirror and rear view mirror do (dim automatically based on sensors on the front and back of the rear view mirror) but not the passenger side mirror, apparently that was changed back late 2015 IIRC and since then they save a bit of money by not doing it on that side or on any model (although the standard specification sheet says that exterior mirrors are automatically dimming my VIN specific manual says only driver side mirror does.

I have to admit I haven't noticed until now (so not of large consequence but still disappointing) and have only read this but haven't been able to prove it myself yet...anyone else notice this or confirm / correct this statement? Does yours dim on that side and if so what year do you have? (your BMW app VIN specific manual will tell you as well in the chapter: controls / adjusting / mirrors / automatically dimming section.

Thanks. Curious to hear what others have in this regard and if it changed in UK spec in late 2015 or another time and if it has indeed changed back to both dimming again...Safe travels.
Mine was built in November 2016 and both exterior mirrors dip, only remembered your question on the way home tonight....apologies!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Thanks for the replies, indeed, it took me a while to be able to check as well as wasn't out and about in the dark but I do have the auto dimming mirrors and mine is a June 2016 build so interesting that the literature and manuals state one thing and the car has something else (in a positive sense).

Anyway, something to look for when buying new BMW's I guess...

Safe travels.