BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
To the OP:

Two things, and I'll be as brief as possible. One: some people are just jellyfish. You know these people, they are the ones that go wherever the tides take them and they are AOK with it. They're happy being jellyfish and that is AOK if that's what you want.

Since you continue to post on this, perhaps you don't want to be a jellyfish.

Two: I will share with you a story that I heard once at a high school commencement a long time ago for a neighbor's kid. The valedictorian got up on stage, and started her speech: She said that she heard this from a public figure, perhaps it was Winston Churchill, I don't remember. But she presented, and I'm paraphrasing (briefly as it was a long speech) to the best of my memory:

"Class of ##; congrats! We have exciting times ahead and I want to share a story I hope will help you in your future endeavors.

I have Lyme disease. I didn't earn this, or deserve it, it just happened. I learned a long time ago that my disease could defeat, define or distinguish me.

With defeat, I could've walked through life stating my life circumstances are, because I unfairly got this disease. How unfair! This is the reason why I'm not where I want to be with my life. This is the reason why I complain and am miserable. This is the reason why others have it better. Etc.

It could have defined me. Regardless of my outcome in life, I could always rehash back that my life was only as it was because of the Lyme disease. Regardless if it was good or bad. I would always be known as 'hey there's that Lyme disease girl.' Whether they were referencing me in a good or bad way.

Or, my personal problems could distinguish me. Until this speech, other than my doctor, parents and best friend, nobody has known of my condition. I debated heavily whether to use this or not, as his could throw me into the "define" category in some of your minds, but, it was worth the risk. In spite of the difficulties this disease has caused me (she describe challenges I don't remember), I have accomplished what I have in spite of it. I'm here speaking to you today as the valedictorian and on my way to my dream college. 4 years from now, expect to see me speaking as the valedictorian there too. This is the last time anyone will hear me mention my personal struggles.

Class of ##, you too have this freedom to choose how your own personal life circumstances will defeat, define or distinguish you."

Well, it was FAR more moving and detailed when she said it!

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
Nkc1600.50
      04-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #46
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I’m just trying to finish a AA degree (undecided major). I have 18 credits left. I know it makes no sense but I’m being honest.

I like to cook and work on cars, but I’m a firm believer I’m better than a blue collar job (no disrespect to anyone). I want to be able to make a decent living and be happy for once. Watching all my friends on Facebook have families and move forward with their lives makes me depressed. It’s like a slap in the face to me, so I’ve kept my distance from those people.
I think you have 18 out of 60 credits left? If so you are over 2/3 finished and I would complete it. At some point in life this may help you and finishing it will also give you a goal you wanted to get to and then accomplished.

I would also assume living at home you are able to save a lot of money, you should be doing this also. While doing these two you should look at job listings to see what matches up with what you want to do and what you are capable of doing (possibly additional school or training needed). If living at home with a decent job I would expect expenses are very low and possible your next step in life should be easier to accomplish with some type of savings.

Forget about the time and money wasted to date, past doesn't matter, and figure out what you want to do with your life and how you will get there.
      04-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #47
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ADHD? Go into a trade. It will keep your hands and mind busy and you will make way more money than most people with a college degree. Plus most colleges are liberal indoctrination camps now anyway.

All the millenials also live at home with their parents so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Edit: Just read you think you are too good for a blue collar job. I think your actual problem is that you are a huge pussy
      04-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #48
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
ADHD? Go into a trade. It will keep your hands and mind busy and you will make way more money than most people with a college degree. Plus most colleges are liberal indoctrination camps now anyway.

All the millenials also live at home with their parents so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
Quote:

You mean trade stocks?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #49
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

A trade dude. Go be an electrician, a welder, a plumber. You will make a ton of money, way more than whatever your bullshit AA degree is in.
      04-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #50
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
A trade dude. Go be an electrician, a welder, a plumber. You will make a ton of money, way more than whatever your bullshit AA degree is in.
But wait....isn't working with your hands blue collar? Personally I would much rather be a financially well off blue collar individual than thinking I'm above that and living with my parents. Just food for thought.

A close friend of mine, who at one point was a 12 time felon, started working for a cabling company 15 years ago doing nothing more than pulling cable for data network installs. He now makes $90K/year and got a $25k annual bonus back in December while living an area where the median income is $27k/year. He is a Project Manager/Lead and also owns his own business on the side installing home security and camera systems. He works with his hands everyday, gets dirty and does jobs others that work below him don't want to do. He has taken the money that he has made and invested it in his wife to be nail tech. She now owns her own business and between the two of them they both do very well. She just bought a brand new Audi A4. Blue collar is definitely something that someone living with their parents and has no direction in life should avoid at costs because they are better than that.....this is sarcasm, I feel like it needs to be noted.

As I have progressed in my years I have found that not all of those who wear suits and ties every day are balling like they would like you to believe. Don't get me wrong many of them are, but more of them are not. I know far too many guys who look like they don't have a pot to piss in or window to throw it out of whose financial statements would make you second guess your choices in life. Blue collar doesn't equate to low-class or poor.

Just for reference: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk.../#5345ffa7664a

Last edited by King Rudi; 04-16-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
Soul_Glo13282.50
      04-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #51
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
But wait....isn't working with your hands blue collar? Personally I would much rather be a financially well off blue collar individual than thinking I'm above that and living with my parents. Just food for thought.

A close friend of mine, who at one point was a 12 time felon, started working for a cabling company 15 years ago doing nothing more than pulling cable for data network installs. He now makes $90K/year and got a $25k annual bonus back in December while living an area where the median income is $27k/year. He is a Project Manager/Lead and also owns his own business on the side installing home security and camera systems. He works with his hands everyday, gets dirty and does jobs others that work below him don't want to do. He has taken the money that he has made and invested it in his wife to be nail tech. She now owns her own business and between the two of them they both do very well. She just bought a brand new Audi A4. Blue collar is definitely something that someone living with their parents and has no direction in life should avoid at costs because they are better than that.....this is sarcasm, I feel like it needs to be noted.

As I have progressed in my years I have found that not all of those who wear suits and ties every day are balling like they would like you to believe. Don't get me wrong many of them are, but more of them are not. I know far too many guys who look like they don't have a pot to piss in or window to throw it out of whose financial statements would make you second guess your choices in life. Blue collar doesn't equate to low-class or poor.

this dude isnt going to get it. no sense in even trying at this point.

us blue collar'ers are all beneath him.

as i was walking around a wastewater plant basin with dirty water in it today, i thought "if only i had followed the life plan of sixbanger."

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #52
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Ya I'm just another lowly blue collar person with only an associate's degree that makes more than anybody in my family and all but 1 of my friends. Oh also I have a full pension coming when I'm done too.

Guess I can't give advice to someone who is better than me.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Run Silent15127.00
      04-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #53
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
You mean trade stocks?
Yes, trade stocks. You can do it from the comfort of your parent's basement.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
eluded2959.00
King Rudi13152.00
      04-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #54
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
absolutely no one is "good enough" for a blue collar job/trade. regardless of your position in life or really anything

my dad is turning 51 in a few months. let's not get into the specifics but he's clearly done well with his life - just look into how much college costs for non-americans and multiply by 2 for me and my brother.

he still will work in the production line if there is an order to be rushed out. granted what we do is "easier" than many other trades, we namely produce/assemble medical supplies, but regardless of your position no one is "too good" for something. you gotta start somewhere!
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      04-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #55
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
absolutely no one is "good enough" for a blue collar job/trade. regardless of your position in life or really anything

my dad is turning 51 in a few months. let's not get into the specifics but he's clearly done well with his life - just look into how much college costs for non-americans and multiply by 2 for me and my brother.

he still will work in the production line if there is an order to be rushed out. granted what we do is "easier" than many other trades, we namely produce/assemble medical supplies, but regardless of your position no one is "too good" for something. you gotta start somewhere!

Quality sage advice, from the infamous Turkish Pickle.

King Rudi13152.00
      04-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #56
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
You say you like to work on cars? Then work on cars! My son is a car fanatic! He has been working since he was 14. Currently works at a luxury car dealer while still in high school. Loves it! Wants to be a tech at a BMW, Porsche, etc dealership. Works hard, does not mind getting his hands dirty.

I have spoken to several of the shop foreman at dealerships and all are paying more than what the union says they have to pay because they cannot find people to fill the jobs. The point it, you like doing a job that not a lot of people like doing and you can make some money at it. As for your other things in life, I know first hand how hard it is to work around physical and emotional issues. It is not easy, so work at a pace you can handle and use your support network to lean on when you need to. They are there for you!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #57
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I will tell you this like your my brother
First thing is Fu((k doctors and their diagnosis don't get me wrong I have respect for majority of doctors, but majority of them will give you wrong diagnosis just to proscribe you medicine so big corporates can make money.
what you should do travel on budget you will find happiness.
wish you the best Good luck
      04-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #58
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:

In what state does you 12 time felon friend own a company installing home security and camera systems?
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      04-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #59
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Quote:

In what state does you 12 time felon friend own a company installing home security and camera systems?
In the state of irony. We laugh about it all the time. The fact that people pay two former hooligans such as ourselves to protect their property and belongings is quite ironic but our customers love us.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      04-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #60
SCREAM3R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Another chime in from a blue collar worker here. I make more money than any of my friends except one.... who is a mechanic and absolutely kills it. Growing up in a wealthier community where everyone else’s parents bought them cars and sent them off to college it felt kind shitty to be one of the few who didn’t get that. Being told most of your life that you won’t be anything and broke unless you go to college didn’t help. Now I wouldn’t change a thing. You are limiting yourself and don’t know it. You could be working a job you thought was beneath you and loving it! Open more doors in your future don’t close them. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      04-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #61
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
In the state of irony. We laugh about it all the time. The fact that people pay two former hooligans such as ourselves to protect their property and belongings is quite ironic but our customers love us.
until they find out you were previously Judy

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #62
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Op, you are fine. Just be glad you aren’t me:

Full time Uber/Lyft driver who lives with his wife.
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #63
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

For you to have even survived two heart transplants means you are a pretty tough guy I think. That's a pretty rough card or two to be dealt-my wife has survived two kidney transplants and such involvement in our medical system requires patience and optimism beyond belief.

What are your limits for physical exertion?
How about considering a Degree as a Medical Social Worker who can help others get through the same maze and challenges? Decent money.

Thanks,
Bill
Appreciate 1
SixBanger182.50
      04-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #64
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
The peoples Republic of California?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #65
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
I just imagine that any state that has licensing laws for such companies would not license such a person.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #66
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I just imagine that any state that has licensing laws for such companies would not license such a person.
I just imagine I'm a fairy riding a trail of pixie dust with the ability to wave a wand and make incompetent drivers disappear.

Reality, however, suggests something far different.

(Hint - I come far closer to resembling a troll)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00