BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-28-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
Eddles
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530d

2010 F01 740i poor windscreen wash performance

Hi all,

Bought a new-to-me 2010 F01 740i. When I test drove it, the windscreen washers were fine. However, a couple of days later, the performance really decreased, and they only dribble pathetically on the bottom of the windscreen. There is no low fluid warning, and the headlight & NIVI washers work perfectly fine. How should I start diagnosing the issue, please? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Take a straight pin or needle and check if the nozzles are clogged with calcium build up.

Do you know what fluid was put into the wash reservoir? Some fluids contain silicates/nitrates which do not work well with the electronic fluid level sensor. Hopefully that is not the issue and the nozzles are just clogged.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-28-2023 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
Eddles
Rep

Thanks for your responses.

I've had a proper look at the nozzles, and used a pin to ensure they're clean. They seem clean. The left nozzle seems to be missing a hose, however when testing the washers, nothing comes out of the hose barb. Looking at my F11 that's waiting to be sold, the left nozzle has the same barb without a hose. I know it works, so it must be as intended. The F01's rightmost nozzle, the one closest to the bottle, has a weak jet out of it, but the other two just had weak dribbles not amounting to anything.

The left and right nozzles seems to have detached from the bonnet at the rear side (facing the windscreen) but isn't affecting the performance at all. The middle nozzle is nearly detached but that's not my issue.

I've taken a few pictures here -
View post on imgur.com
and honestly, they look fine. Thus, I presume it's the bottle that's gunked up, but how do I easily remove it for cleaning? If I'm able to detach the hose at the bottle end, should I use a wet vac, or do I use an air compressor to blast air through the hose? I don't want to damage anything with compressed air.

Regarding the washer fluid, I have just got the washer fluid low warning, so that seems to be working OK. That's really disappointing with RainX, I used to put them in my past cars, but not the BMW

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
Eddles
Rep

Update: managed to remove the bottle. It seems the windscreen washer pump filter has detached from the gasket. I can feel a rattle when I shake the bottle.

The bottle is filthy inside, but the water was clear when I poured it out. I presume the bottle can't be disassembled to clean it inside? The filter for the headlight & NIVI washer pump had a bit of algae on, but cleaned up easily.

I completely took out the windscreen washer pump, blew through the inlet/outlet ends and it flowed well. I reconnected the wiring to the pump, put the inlet nozzle in a bowl of water and ran the pump, it sprouted a huge jet of water, it's definitely in working order. I used a wet vac and sucked the hose. I then used my air compressor and blasted air through the hose. I connected up the pump back to the hose, and put the inlet in a bowl of water like before and ran the pump, same issue as before. It looks like either the hose or nozzles are blocked. How should I diagnose this issue, or should I just go ahead and change the hose?

Here are
View post on imgur.com
for the windscreen washer pump sans filter.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

did you clean the tank out?
my pump would get clogged from the inlet of the pump, with the gunk.
I bought a new tank off ebay and replaced it, was the only way to get it.
Never put water in the summer in these, what causes this to happen.. You can only use washer fluid so that it doesn't grow algae..

disconnect the hose to the nossles, blow in it, it will clear the pump but it will clog again, you have to remove the tank entirely and replace it or get it all cleaned out.
Appreciate 0