BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-20-2023, 10:25 AM   #1
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Shopping for a 2016-2018 750i

Hey folks, did tons of reading before I began my shopping journey and generally know that this endeavor comes with a certain level of risk. With that, a few questions...

Found a 2016 with 90k miles, southern owned in TX. 1 owner. Lived at the selling dealer it's entire life and had all of the scheduled maintenance done on time. What questions should I ask?

Is pursuing a 2017-2018 worth it outside of the whole "buying first year production cars is risky"? FYI, I did this twice with no issues (w212 e350, w222 s550).

Is there an easy way to tell if the turbo line repair has been done? I think that's the one, big scary thing I can check for with pictures, anything else?

There seems to be a love hate relationship with integral active steering. For me, it's mandatory. Any reason why I should stay away from that other than "it's another thing that can break"?

Any other general comments welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Hi,

I don't think buying an early production car is inherently risky. It was more so in older times when there weren't such design and engineering tools that are employed today. Also, any faults that have creeped up have been dealt with by warranty actions by now.

Regarding turbo lines - best way to know is to get dealer service history if the car has been serviced by dealer only or an independent who inserts servicing to BMW AIR.

I like integral active steering. Anything can happen. You might get hit by a car when crossing the street. Are you never going to leave home knowing that? Seven is a loaded car and rightfully so. If one prefers simplicity, I suggest to steer clear of 7 series. And not because this myriad of technology is inherent to breakdowns. Anything in car can wear down or fail prematurely, but we'll deal with it if or when it comes to it.

If you can have a trusted workshop run a pre-purchase check on the car then that would be best. Other than that, G1X series is still new enough that they haven't ended up with people who cant afford the maintenance and neglect the vehicle. Even more so if it's a one owner vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #3
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Hi,

I don't think buying an early production car is inherently risky. It was more so in older times when there weren't such design and engineering tools that are employed today. Also, any faults that have creeped up have been dealt with by warranty actions by now.

Regarding turbo lines - best way to know is to get dealer service history if the car has been serviced by dealer only or an independent who inserts servicing to BMW AIR.

I like integral active steering. Anything can happen. You might get hit by a car when crossing the street. Are you never going to leave home knowing that? Seven is a loaded car and rightfully so. If one prefers simplicity, I suggest to steer clear of 7 series. And not because this myriad of technology is inherent to breakdowns. Anything in car can wear down or fail prematurely, but we'll deal with it if or when it comes to it.

If you can have a trusted workshop run a pre-purchase check on the car then that would be best. Other than that, G1X series is still new enough that they haven't ended up with people who cant afford the maintenance and neglect the vehicle. Even more so if it's a one owner vehicle.
Good stuff and thanks for the insight! Excited to take the plunge after parting with my 150k MSRP S560 about a year ago. I loved my special little boat but a baby has me on the hunt for something a bit more affordable. Also, possibly more importantly, something a but more maneuverable. The wife had to drive this thing too from time to time and she had a rough time getting the S where it needed to be at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:00 AM   #4
dc5525
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 740i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Greetings! The fact this was a one-owner car over the course of 90K miles and all scheduled work was done at dealership where car was purchased new are probably the two best criteria a person can look for seeking a car of this age/milage and is something that does not happen often with 7 series as most if not all one-time owners turn the car over after 50-60K then buy the next new model. I would even pay more than book price under these circumstances for those reasons! Agree with previous post try to schedule PPI but I am willing all the service records are easily available.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 07:50 AM   #5
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5525 View Post
Greetings! The fact this was a one-owner car over the course of 90K miles and all scheduled work was done at dealership where car was purchased new are probably the two best criteria a person can look for seeking a car of this age/milage and is something that does not happen often with 7 series as most if not all one-time owners turn the car over after 50-60K then buy the next new model. I would even pay more than book price under these circumstances for those reasons! Agree with previous post try to schedule PPI but I am willing all the service records are easily available.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm shopping thr US and have looked at well over 200 750's, maybe 1-2 others had this type of history. Granted, I only opened the Carfax if I saw B&W and the Alcantara headliner. My list of "must haves" is massive (basically 125k+ MSRP) so this is taking a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #6
Tj40371
Rep
Drives: 24 M440i Convertible

This was my car I just recently traded in, as my wife had ordered a new smaller sports car and I had to take over driving her GLS. Really hated to see it go and still miss it. Bought as a CPO in April 2020. Carfax accident damage that is showing was cosmetic front & rear bumper repairs (separate incidents).

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=myATCsavedcar
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #7
bstovall34
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019497

Mine is for sale.
Appreciate 0