BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
OBXBoost
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1994 3000GT VR-4

Looking at possibly purchasing a 2012 750LI...

Twin Turbo V-8, M-Sport Package, 145,000 miles. They are the second owners of this car and have *some* decent records, but I really want to go over it. What are some things I should look for and pay attention to while I have it in my possession for a few days?

I also looked up Blue Book value for private purchase under "Excellent" condition and they are looking for a bit more than what Blue Book states, so I'm curious what the value or cash offer should be to make.

Any insight? All is well appreciated!

Last edited by OBXBoost; 10-21-2022 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXBoost View Post
Twin Turbo V-8, M-Sport Package, 145,000 miles. They are the second owners of this car and have *some* decent records, but I really want to go over it. What are some things I should look for and pay attention to while I have it in my possession for a few days?

I also looked up Blue Book value for private purchase under "Excellent" condition and they are looking for a bit more than what Blue Book states, so I'm curious what the value or cash offer should be to make.

Any insight? All is well appreciated!
would get the VIN, go to the dealer and see what history has been done.
there is a ton of items that will fail over time with this car, its par for the course. Oil lines, coolant lines, fuel pumps, the list goes on and on. Dont think this doesn't apply to you, its cause the N63 engine heat cycles so hot and so often, these plastic and rubber items dry out and 100% will fail, so you should see how much they did under warranty or not.

I would also get an aftermarket warranty, its far cheaper, i paid 2500 for mine and put about 16k into the car over the warranty period. ha I used CNA warranty, a dealer in SC will sell it to you but with your miles and age, it might be pricey now. These ocmanies arent stupid, they know the older and more miles, the more will fail, just the ugly facts.

you could get it for 15k and still put 5-10k into it to keep it going. If it was me, i would first get a low temp thermostat in, along with a low pressure oil valve. ,go to N63intake.com and buy there, he's the real deal.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep
Drives: BMW E38 740i, BMW F01 750i.

Yeah, most companies will not sell you a warranty worth a damn. Maybe for very specific items but all are usually worthless with false claims of coverage.

For a 2012, I would certainly call the dealership and ask what was done in the CCP - customer care package.

You'll want to listen for timing chain rattle as well as watch for smoke coming from the tail pipe. Let the car idle for 10-15 minutes then gas it, and hope that there is no plume of smoke escaping from the exhaust.

Try and see the car while it is cold, start it up and feel for a misfire. It should be TOTALLY smooth, if it is slightly rough then clears up that is a tell tail sign of a leaky injector. And let me tell you injectors are NOT cheap! $4,500~ for a new set and that is with my shop account at a very reasonably priced dealer.

Check for oil leaks, rear main seals are super common as well as coolant leaking down in that area, usually the coolant residue between the block and transmission is a sealed block within the bell housing. Both will require the transmission to be removed if not the entire engine/transmission. IMO it's better to remove the trans and engine together to fix other common issues in one swoop.

Most of the time the coolant leaks are a T underneath of the alternator, or on top of the alternator. If coolant is leaking on top of the alternator it will cause it to fail.

Look, or more accurately smell for a burnt oil smell. That'll be the turbo drains, it's just expensive.

Smell for coolant burning, it is very faint on the blue coolant cars.

Take it on a bumpy road and make sure there are no clunks

Take it on the highway and make sure it keeps straight!!! If you need constant adjustments you'll need a complete front end refresh.

Check tyres, I just replaced mine after 10,000 miles. $700 for rears $500 for fronts if they are the staggered setup.

Check for a pause when going into the reverse gear, if there is a delay, the tube seals need done in the transmission. Not super expensive but a PITA without a lift + $300 for a service kit.
Appreciate 0