BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
bohlkcam000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 740LI

Exclamation Rough Idle on startup + Drivetrain malfunction

So I have run into a problem on my car and im a little stumped. My car is still rough idling and giving a drivetrain malfunction even after I have replaced the o2 sensors, spark plugs, and not to mention I replaced the ignition coils about 3k miles ago. It only rough idles when I have started it though and it gets slightly worse for a second if I go in reverse. Though really the roughness gets worse when the actual drivetrain malfunction message appears. So if yall have any tips on what it might be that would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #2
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep
Drives: BMW E38 740i, BMW F01 750i.

It really sounds as though you have a bunk injector. Likely sticking open whilst the car is resting and leaking fuel into the combustion chamber, thus causing the misfire.

The reason it gets worse when the drivetrain malfunction/SES appears is the DME will disable the injector on the cylinder that it detects is misfiring.

Report back with codes please!
Appreciate 0