BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-11-2015, 02:53 AM   #177
bb1510
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz S63 AMG

I really like the new 7. The exterior in my opinion is superior to the new S class; the angularity and lines give it a more 'solid' look, much more European and stately than the curvy lines of the new S. The exterior of the new S just looks really Korean in terms of its design.

I feel like the interior of this car is one which needs to be experience in person to see the quality. Yes, the new S does have a nicer dashboard, but there are tiny details that really make it for me in the 7. Take the nav and rear entertainment screens for example. On the new S, they have a thick, glossy plastic bezel surrounding the screen; this just looks really cheap. The new 7 on the other hand has edge to edge glass. Also, although the new S does look nice, once you get into the nooks and crannies you'll notice it's downfalls, even compared to the previous S-Class. The plastic behind the armrests and window switch surrounds just scream cheap to me.

I really do appreciate the book matched wood on the rear console door in the new 7.

This is a car I will definitely consider when it comes time to replace my current S-Class.
      06-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #178
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Is this a misprint? Twin turbo on the I6?
From the official press release:

BMW 740i (BMW 740Li): Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine with
BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (TwinScroll turbocharger, direct
injection, VALVETRONIC, Double-VANOS).
Capacity: 2,998cc, output: 240 kW/326 hp at 5,5006,500 rpm,
max. torque: 450 Nm / 332 lb-ft at 1,3805,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0100 km/h / 62 mph]: 5.5 (5.6) seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph.
Average fuel consumption*: 7.06.6 (7.06.6) litres per 100 kilometres /
40.442.8 (40.442.8) mpg imp,
CO2 emissions*: 164154 (164154) g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
I'm aware of the specs.

I was pointing out how they have written for the 740 "twin turbo"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:43 AM   #179
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
It really starts growing on me, I can't help

But what about all the fingerprints in this car when you use the touchscreen/functions properly

Lets see how the new aluminium trim in the interior looks and feels in real life. I don't want to judge it just seeing it from pictures.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #180
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

This car has many innovations and advanced technology. In my opinion this new generation meets highest demands on the subject of luxury and connectivity.
However the design of the seats seems a very strong hand, will have to wait to see it in person.
Improved acceleration times and this thanks to improved suspension and carbon fiber technology. This car sets new standards in its segment outperforming its rivals because it provides many more things than others.
But I would like to see an M7 think is very necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #181
Anonymous 2
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 750LI G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post
Optional Bowers & Wilkins 1400-Watt Hi-Fi system with Diamond dome tweeter tech & specially tweaked to fit G11/G12 7er interior acoustics not enough for you?

Perfect listening pleasure: Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround
sound system.

The Bowers & Wilkins Diamond surround sound system offered as an option
for the new BMW 7 Series makes it possible to experience a new dimension
in listening pleasure while enjoying the in-car entertainment programme. A
fully active 10-channel amplifier with an output of 1,400 watts and 16 partially
illuminated speakers together produce an exceptionally precise and
wonderfully rich sound in the cabin. In the process, dynamic sound equalizing
with three analogue crossovers ensures uniform acoustic performance
delivered to all seats.

The system also enables the sound setting to be matched to the selected
entertainment genre. The five acoustic scenarios on offer include, for
example, “Concert”, which reproduces the acoustics experienced in a concert
hall, and the “Cinema” setting, which provides cinema-like acoustics when
watching a movie on the Rear-seat entertainment system.

in compared with 1900 watt Burmester 3d high end surround sound system in Benz S-Class of course it has nothing to say.

Last edited by Anonymous 2; 06-11-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #182
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

No Laserlight option? Thought that would be possible by now
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #183
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
Like a lot of people here, I was put off by the leaked photos.
But these official ones actually made the car look awesome, to my eyes, specially the m-sport! Nice job on making a car this big look like it's a good drive.

I dislike the excessive alu trim, but other than that, the step forward inside was even bigger!

I understand that this car has a lot of tech in it (which is also amazing), but I feel like more weight should've been dropped...

I'm looking forward to the reviews about the new b58!
+1

The leaked pictures and the hate this G got was massive imo.
Now, that's the problem with bits and pieces, people were all over it.
When we have the whole picture, this is suprisingly good.
The tech in unmatched and the look is discrete and proffesional. I think this is the best looking 7 since E38.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #184
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
US only, but you can blame US DOT. They're so behind it's not even funny on lighting regulations, it's hilarious.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #185
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
US only, but you can blame US DOT. They're so behind it's not even funny on lighting regulations, it's hilarious.
Does look pretty awesome though http://instance001.caching.dbm.adaco...643e5873a4.mp4
      06-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #186
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Not much character so a bit "squarely" bland a'la nearing Japanese car-ish, yet elegant, sophisticated and very clean. It exudes class and doesn't try to be gaudy or gimmicky for the sake of smoke and flash, which is where it is fresh. The "connected lights to grill" look as clunky, force fed, awkward and instantly dated as ever. Side character line is carved and twisted like the Infiniti Q50. I won't get into the "Tablet taped to dash" (which our Mazda implements quite well itself) fad. Just flawed architecturally.

Technically, it stomps on the new S. And it looks less like the 3 than how lazily identically scaled up the S looks to the C.

Btw, no more SWB??!! That's tragic for the 7. I never liked the LWB models. This likely due to how much crossover the 5 is giving it.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #187
devitocoke
Bimmer Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The M Sport look should be the standard look and M Sport should be a bit more aggressive, but right now the standard is quite disappointing. I guess they are waiting for the LCI to make it look better as always.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #188
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Is the hockey stick additional or a standard feature?
      06-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #189
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
The 6-series has been proclaimed as one of the best looking cars in the world, so not sure where you're going with the front bumper part.
Who exactly proclaimed that?
Bmwblog, car throttle, and cnet...with countless other reviewers including car and driver, top gear, and kbb saying it is the best looking BMW years and it just looks damn good (as they say).

I can tell you that I work around these cars every day, yet the 6-series I always take a second-take on when I pass one, and I see others taking a hard look at it too. It's a good looking car, and if BMW took some design cues from it (front bumper, sleek narrow taillights) then that's fine with me lol

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #190
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Not much character so a bit "squarely" bland a'la nearing Japanese car-ish, yet elegant, sophisticated and very clean. It exudes class and doesn't try to be gaudy or gimmicky for the sake of smoke and flash, which is where it is fresh. The "connected lights to grill" look as clunky, force fed, awkward and instantly dated as ever. Side lines are carved and twisted like the Infiniti Q50. I won't get into the "Tablet taped to dash" (which our Mazda implements quite well itself) fad. Just flawed architecturally.

Technically, it stomps on the new S. And it looks less like the 3 than how lazily identically scaled up the S looks to the C.
YES. +1. The new 7 again is simply another variety of bland luxury following S, LS, etc., and thus uninteresting from a design perspective. Sadly, these cars are all starting to look the same. The 7 series used to have a nice design edge, distinct sporty character/ability (while maintaining a high level of luxury), and it just seems since the Bangle 7, that has all but disappeared.

Luxury is luxury at this level of car, what makes someone buy one over the other is an idea / an anchor for the marque/series that is unique and interesting, and actually delivers on the brand's promise.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #191
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We will see the secondary screen it is important to keep the more important stuff for last.

Get used to the Hockey stick as BMW have addressed criticism that current air breathers look stuck on so now combine the breather with additional trim so it looks less stick on than before. You will see this on many forthcoming BMWs.
Such as this render of the next generation 4er.
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ABOUT THAT HOCKEY STICK.

BMW design has gone straight into the damn toilet. How on earth can anyone defend this garbage?!?
Lol! That's what I said about the hockey stick!

They just better not put that crap on future M cars.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #192
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
You nuts mate. I can never see myself selling mine. I am thinking of major detail to bring the paint work back to showroom condition and even if I do get another seven this one will always stay. And the arse looks even better. Those 19īs are bmw best wheels ever
Sorry, that picture did nothing to convince me otherwise. Especially considering this car came after the E38, I can only imagine what most 7er fans thought.

But as long as you like it, that's all that matters! I think the LCI helped it a bunch, but in terms of design (and I'm shocked to say this because I hate the leaked pics), this new one blows the last 2 gens out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Lol we complain "air breathers" look tacked on because, well they do.

So to address this BMW tacks on not just a boomerang but a hockey stick? Tell me the logic behind this?

To me the best looking vents or air breathers was the E92 M3
Ironic you say that because those air vents are not even functional
They do look the business though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
M-Sport saved this vehicle. Looks very nice.
Agreed. But think about the current BMW lineup without M-sport. I can't say I like any of them.
IMHO, the standard 2er, 3er, 5er, 6er, 7er, X1 and X3 don't look anywhere near as good as their M-sport counterpart.

The only car that I like visually without Msport is the F15.

Also, I don't think white is even the best color for this G11 M-Sport. I think silver or gunmetal would look absolutely amazing. Then all you'd have to do is ditch the chrome kidneys and that strip by the taillights.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #193
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
YES. +1. The new 7 again is simply another variety of bland luxury following S, LS, etc., and thus uninteresting from a design perspective. Sadly, these cars are all starting to look the same. The 7 series used to have a nice design edge, distinct sporty character/ability (while maintaining a high level of luxury), and it just seems since the Bangle 7, that has all but disappeared.

Luxury is luxury at this level of car, what makes someone buy one over the other is an idea / an anchor for the marque/series that is unique and interesting, and actually delivers on the brand's promise.
I'll go ahead and respectfully disagree. The E38 Sport was the last great design. There was absolutely nothing "sporty" and "interesting" about the E65 or the F01. I think the G11 looks heaps better, and this is coming from someone that's all about older BMW's.

I will agree that there's no longer any separation between the looks of all the models. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #194
CesaroM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a6

Exceeded my expectations in terms of interior design , very glad to see the executive lounge , looks very spacious and luxurious , interior lights are awesome , sky roof plus touch sensitive front seats and climate controls look very cool , will look awesome at night. Countless gizmos and gadgets and overall heavy evolutionary exterior redesign of the F01.

So far so good , only further test drives and comparisons will imo prove that this 7er will drive just as good as it looks. What is missing though is the more powerful diesel units and two V12's on for 760 and other for the performance version of 760 , possibly the M 7er or 765is or M760.

Either way we'll still have to wait for more potent performance version because now it makes more sense because the car is lighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #195
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Air Suspension should make it competitive to the S in luxury driving dept. Let's see how BMW tunes it to further the sportiness gap from the S. That's where it can (hopefully) really runaway in comparative driving dynamics between them.

It also looks more athletic and not as geriatric as the S. Which is appropriate for both, respectively.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #196
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Don't know, I do agree with most that the official pictures are better than the leaks. Also like the new grille; hate that darn hockey stick though.

The interior is pretty impressive, but the chrome accents have to go, but I do understand the desire to move away from just black everywhere.

Only real disappointment is the back. Really wanted this car to more closely resemble that lovely concept 7, so this exterior does seem a bit compromised. While Merc seems to not have compromised anything with the new S class.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #197
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

As has been stated before, The S-Class is the car you want to be driven around in, the 7-Series is the car you want to drive.

The thing that I am afraid of is how BMW these days takes a lot of the same design architecture applies it across their range of models. Gone are the days when a Bangle 5-Series looked completely different than a Bangle 7-Series. Not that I think the F01 or the F10 look bad, cause they don't, but I see the next G30 5-Series getting the same design language in areas such a headlights, tail lights, fender, hood, trunk, and side skirts from the new G11 7-Series, and this makes me worry. For what it's worth though, I do think the F10 is a much better looking car than the E60 was even though, when it first came out I had trouble telling if an F10 was an F10 or if it was an F01, whenever I saw one in real life. This is all academic anyways. My next car is going to be an R8 or Lambo. Lol!

Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #198
stamd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi

I think the new design is well done and a natural; beautiful progression of the 7 series. What a difference between the leaked photos posted a couple of months ago and the official photos. My expectations were low after seeing those leaked photos. Now I see why those who posted about the private reveal were enthusiastic about the new design.
Appreciate 0