BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2023, 03:29 AM   #1
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Sunroof Creaking sounds

Got a 2017 G11 750i, and as of recently, there has been an INSANE creak when hitting bumps or dips coming from the rear Panoramic sunroof.

Imagine an old door or chair creaking when moving and itís so hard to locate the exact sound but itís basically behind the driver seat close to the mirror.

Any one else have issues with this or have any tips on what I can do? It seems like the glass is rubbing against something but I canít find out what to do.

Would appreciate any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:33 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Lieutenant
M_Bimmer's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: G12 B7
Join Date: May 2020
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Hard to say from your description, but Gummi Pflege applied to the sunroof gasket may address your sunroof noise...

Gummi Plege is the product BMW dealerships will use to recondition rubber gaskets and body seals.

If this doesn't address it, your sunroof rails may require lubrication....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 03:57 AM   #3
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Hard to say from your description, but Gummi Pflege applied to the sunroof gasket may address your sunroof noise...

Gummi Plege is the product BMW dealerships will use to recondition rubber gaskets and body seals.

If this doesn't address it, your sunroof rails may require lubrication....
Can this be applied to the secondary sunroof that doesnít open? Itís just the glass or something back there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #4
spat
New Member
United_States
9
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 20 M760 & 13 M6 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnotfeelingit View Post
Got a 2017 G11 750i, and as of recently, there has been an INSANE creak when hitting bumps or dips coming from the rear Panoramic sunroof.

Imagine an old door or chair creaking when moving and itís so hard to locate the exact sound but itís basically behind the driver seat close to the mirror.

Any one else have issues with this or have any tips on what I can do? It seems like the glass is rubbing against something but I canít find out what to do.

Would appreciate any feedback!
Here is your solution. I had the same problem and now fixed.

http://https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/sib_attachments/B540417_Repair%20Instructions%20for%20G12%20Sunroo f%20Noise.pdf
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 04:37 AM   #5
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spat View Post
Here is your solution. I had the same problem and now fixed.

http://https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/sib...of%20Noise.pdf
Thanks so much for this !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
SoullesS
Registered
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: G12
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

You need to drop the headliner and tighten panoramic roof bolts. I had that issue and it was one damn bolt that was causing it . On every pot hole , bump and even sharp turn I could hear that creaking .
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #7
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullesS View Post
You need to drop the headliner and tighten panoramic roof bolts. I had that issue and it was one damn bolt that was causing it . On every pot hole , bump and even sharp turn I could hear that creaking .
How difficult is it to drop the headliner? Preferred by a dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #8
g11hoonigan
Lieutenant
360
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: BMW 740i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnotfeelingit View Post
How difficult is it to drop the headliner? Preferred by a dealer ?
Should be easy. I had them fixed some creaking and they forgot to reconnect back the skylounge led. I dropped the car back and they fixed it in about an hr later. It didn't look like they needed to drop the entire headliner but figured it's not as hard as we might think.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 01:11 AM   #9
TENCHI
Lieutenant
47
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

wasn't there a TSB about this? I brought in my 2019 and they told me that there was a recall or something for a creaking roof and fixed it for me. I didn't even realize it was an issue
__________________
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 06:18 PM   #10
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHI View Post
wasn't there a TSB about this? I brought in my 2019 and they told me that there was a recall or something for a creaking roof and fixed it for me. I didn't even realize it was an issue
Do you have any paperwork or anything regarding it that I could use as a reference at my local dealer ? Would be much appreciated, I figured there would be something cause this is a common thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 07:10 PM   #11
TENCHI
Lieutenant
47
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnotfeelingit View Post
Do you have any paperwork or anything regarding it that I could use as a reference at my local dealer ? Would be much appreciated, I figured there would be something cause this is a common thing.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75280-9999.pdf
__________________
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 03:18 AM   #12
Mnotfeelingit
Enlisted Member
Mnotfeelingit's Avatar
6
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 750i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHI View Post
Thanks for this, do you think thereís a chance thereís an open warranty on this ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #13
TENCHI
Lieutenant
47
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnotfeelingit View Post
Thanks for this, do you think thereís a chance thereís an open warranty on this ?
not sure tbh. it is a TSB so I want to say yes?
__________________
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #14
toygar
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2016 bmw 740i
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Santa Barbara

iTrader: (0)

I had that issue and found the culprit on mine.
In the rear where the headliner has a front facing bump there are 3 bolts holding the sunroof down. Some white lithium grease on those bolts resolved the issue for me. Good luck
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST