BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #45
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Please read again what I said. It's a conditional statement.
Okay. So who is a performance driver on the street in your opinion then?

If someone who is a 'performance driver' who also drives that car on the street are they a poser if they have a D wheel?

What if you're a street driver and like the D shape since it makes it easier to get in and out? Are you a poser?

What if your car just came stock with a D wheel? are you a poser?

Point being there are lots of legit reasons why someone might have a D wheel, performance and otherwise. Calling anyone a poser over it on the street or otherwise is asinine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

He has, many times.
But not in the video's you or I have shown and they are built cars (those steering wheels aren't stock), they could've put any steering wheel in it, but decided on a round one, whatever the reason was.

But it doesn't matter, in the end it's all a personal preference. That others "frown upon something" is irrelevant, and a meaningless statement if it's not made by those specific others here and now.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #47
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Okay. So who is a performance driver on the street in your opinion then?

If someone who is a 'performance driver' who also drives that car on the street are they a poser if they have a D wheel?

What if you're a street driver and like the D shape since it makes it easier to get in and out? Are you a poser?

What if your car just came stock with a D wheel? are you a poser?

Point being there are lots of legit reasons why someone might have a D wheel, performance and otherwise. Calling anyone a poser over it on the street or otherwise is asinine.
I did not say there aren't legit reasons for a car to have a D-shaped steering wheel.

I simply implied anyone looking to replace stock BMW steering wheels with d-shaped steering wheels on street cars, for likely the sole purpose of showing off, is a poser. I also said performance wise it's not really necessary, since a street car without a bucket seat would not need the extra room below for a 6-point harness unless one's physique (e.g. fatness) requires such modification. More often that not, it hinders precise control.

"Poser" here refers to those who do not care or understand the performance benefits of such modification. The phrase "performance driver" is used as an opposite to the poser i.e. people who make such modifications with a clear understanding of its performance benefits.

I'm sure you inferred what I was going to say, but I entertained.
      06-01-2023, 09:12 PM   #48
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
That others "frown upon something" is irrelevant, and a meaningless statement if it's not made by those specific others here and now.
I was merely pointing out that originally, oversteer was something to be controlled with both hands on the wheel. This isn't news. Over the years techniques, steering systems, steering wheels, and artful driving have evolved, yes, but it doesn't change the past.

Way to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #49
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

All this over the shape of a steering wheel...
E46ZHP254.00
      06-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #50
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

anyway - one of the most expensive cars you can buy, the 911 GT3, dream layout!

D shape is fine, but everything have pros and cons. like the giant wide ipad, you can argue for an eternity over them

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 03:47 PM   #51
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I was merely pointing out that originally, oversteer was something to be controlled with both hands on the wheel.
According to who? and in what situations?
It is a meaningless statement.
I'm sure there have been people who've said it, just as there have been people who haven't said it.
That doesn't make it that "it was something"...
I mean it's something that is played with on the track, so use whatever works.
You're considering it making a mountain of a molehill, but I see someone launching a completely random statement, allegedly not his own, but somehow it must be true.

As for on the public roads, oversteer is something that should be avoided at all times as it creates an unsafe, unstable situation of the car. But letting the steeringwheel slide through your hands in cases of large steering angles (induced by overgrabbing of the hands or passing on of the hands; these are the 2 allowed methods at the driving exam here for steering angles larger than normal 10 to 3 position will allow for) by the selfrighting force due to the caster of the wheelgeometry is a normal practice that is learned during driving lessons, for a long time, at least for 30 or 40 years. At least where I live. Nothing to frown upon in my book.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-02-2023 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0