BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-02-2015, 04:03 AM   #265
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

Calm Down

Guys need to calm down. These are grainy cellphone pics that obviously don't show off the character of the car. Many firsts for any manufacturer here:

- Laser headlights
- Carbon Fibre Reinforced plastic
- Weight 1745kg (with luggage and driver - reported by bmwblog) - S-class weighs 1955kg
-
- Evolutionary design which is probably very striking in reality / better pictures. As others have mentioned, they cannot make drastic changes as these kinds of designs don't stand the test of time. Subtle surface changes that catch light in different ways allows one to appreciate the design process. That is what makes german cars very beautiful. Mercedes has gone the Korean/Japanese way, and their designs are starting to look very awkward.

- Interior may look ordinary but trust me, the materials look to be extremely high quality. At least they are not using the same parts as their other models (X5/i8 plastics are like 3-series). There is a generous amount of leather and high quality aluminium. BMW design is always very functional. Nothing can beat iDrive for user features and technology. If anyone thinks the S-class looks better, you need to go to a showroom and actually see how ugly the round aircon vents look.

In any case, I can't understand what the fuss is about the S-class. Even that design was evolutionary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #266
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Okay, I think we need to calm down and see the final product in person. I think it could turn out better than we are expecting now. I only think the black wheels look awkward on a luxury car, it's so ghetto and just ugly. Don't understand why BMW is putting f****** black wheels on almost every car they have.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #267
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

I'm amazed at the amount of negative reviews it has received Series 7.
I think before judging something, wait, meditate and take the time to see the car with clearer images or wait to see him in an international lounge either Geneva and Frankfurt.

BMW knows what he is doing with each of their cars, they know clearly that customers may need this type of car.

I had a 7 Series, and exactly what the car means maximum luxury, supreme elegance combined with selected details.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #268
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick007
why are you guys being so rude to scott? seriously? chill out
Read my posts with quotes from Scott23. He made a bunch of false comments which I called him out on. Now he is deflecting and ignoring when I have actual proof. Also he said "challenge accepted" by dismissing my different view.

Last edited by BananaCar; 01-02-2015 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #269
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
You're right! And I also expressed my disgust of that back then (post #5 lol)
2017 F55 Mini Cooper S
2015 F22 BMW M235i
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #270
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
No it doesn't. I own a 2001 740i Sport and an F02 750Li. My heart lays with every 7 series on and before the e38. BMW HAS FALLEN ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL. The 7 series currently has nothing to offer except marketing bs telling the customer that this car is "the sporty luxury sedan". They buy it. I don't believe one word. You know something's wrong when BMWs are now losing comparison tests left and right.

BMWs used to excite, invoke some sort of passion, admiration, x factor, set itself apart from all the competition because the engines were musical and addictive to ring out, the balance of the car was alien, they were light, and the entire driving experience was raw and memorable and satisfying, all while maintaining a sense of comfort and usability. BMWs USED to be cool. Remember when it was an occasion to see one on the road? When the 80s and 90s BMWs were used for action movies and you couldn't help but admire them? Well, now a BMW is a grossly overpriced and pimped out Camry that uses "sportiness" an excuse for cheapness and shoddy quality.

I bought the F02 because I needed a newer (and very big) car, the W221 S class was about to go out of date, I felt like an old man in the Lexus at the time (not anymore), the Audi at the time was very outdated, and I wanted to try to like the new 7 series. I was wrong. It's boring, numb, soulless, clinical, and I often leave it at home for the e38 except when I feel like pulling up in my "new big BMW". That's really all BMWs have been designed for these days: sales. Soccer moms and ignorant class-chasers who want to flash their status. I had an F30 328i loaner that was an embarrassment to drive, but that's another rant. My 750 will be forgotten once I trade it in, which is a shame because it stickered for $110k and was my last chance for BMW.

There are SO many forums and clubs and groups that oogle and lust over the BMWs of the glory days, but how can you think that anyone will want these new BMWs as classics in the future?

I can't believe BMW thinks its loyal customers are really that stupid.

This is my cherished e38. I DARE you to find a better, more iconic and lusted-after mainstream BMW since then. A truly good car doesn't need explaining.

So.. what you are saying is 7 series owners want blacked out kidneys and smoked indicators. Didn't realise so may 17 year olds bought 7-ers.

Seriously though, whilst I agree that the LCI E38 was a great looking car, don't state your opinion as though you speak for all 7 series owners, current or potential. Scott is probably confident in what he says because BMW is bound to have taken into account a lot of feedback from current owners... and best not to forget a lot of those are not necessarily from traditional markets and may well have different tastes.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #271
touringfanatic
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: bmw 5er f11 Touring

Well my real issue with the car is that it looks like it was designed by the committee and not by daring like bangle for all his faults was or like Ian Callum from Jaguar is( I would buy XJ or F-type in a heartbeat). Truly this target market crap is a poor excuse for not doing what engineers and designers are supposed to do and that is in the end to produce an outstanding no compromise no nonsense car like the e38 was. Have to wait for some additional pics to pass final judgement but so far so bland...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #272
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Just curious: where / from whom / does BMW collect feedback about their cars? Are those some random people / or a certain group (membership type) of a.k.a loyal buyers?

I'm a very long time BMW owner and I haven't got any emails/calls whatsoever asking me about my thoughts of certain BMWs I drove/drive. Never.

I'm starting to think this whole customer feedback is nothing more than a method to STFU any one, who dares tell that the upcoming NG car is shit. A manipulative way to make a person think that if somebody likes it, then he will/should probably like it too. I hate that, but that's becoming a very powerful trend nowadays.

01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #273
av689
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 f83

I can see hints from lexus, camry and hyundai....nice move bmw, now they will no longer know where to copy the design lol looks like total crap..I'd rather go S class
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #274
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrajpaul View Post
Guys need to calm down. These are grainy cellphone pics that obviously don't show off the character of the car.

You are right they don't but it also doesn't mean these photos are not showing 80% of what we have all expected from leaked spy photos and renderings

Many firsts for any manufacturer here:

- Laser headlights This is a nice feature
- Carbon Fibre Reinforced plastic Great new direction for manufacturing - Selling point for majority of the buyers might not care.
- Weight 1745kg (with luggage and driver - reported by bmwblog) - S-class weighs 1955kg Neat but the majority will not care. Look at the S-Class rear seats, dash design. That turns heads.. not weight reduction on a full size sedan.
-
- Evolutionary design which is probably very striking in reality / better pictures. As others have mentioned, they cannot make drastic changes as these kinds of designs don't stand the test of time.

Seriously what are you talking about? Hugely subjective gibberish.

Subtle surface changes that catch light in different ways allows one to appreciate the design process. That is what makes german cars very beautiful.

Mercedes has gone the Korean/Japanese way, and their designs are starting to look very awkward.

Seriously what are you talking about? Hugely subjective gibberish. Again! New S Class buy many customers, people, industry analysis have all praised the new S Class

- Interior may look ordinary but trust me, the materials look to be extremely high quality. At least they are not using the same parts as their other models (X5/i8 plastics are like 3-series). There is a generous amount of leather and high quality aluminium. BMW design is always very functional. Nothing can beat iDrive for user features and technology. If anyone thinks the S-class looks better, you need to go to a showroom and actually see how ugly the round aircon vents look.

So what if it is high quality and how do you define high quality? Different finish? still looks the same as a mix of current F01 and F15

Where is the higher quality aluminum? Are you referring to the buttons for the temp settings and the bazel? To me that looks like paint? I don't think it is Aluminum. Actually I'm positive it isn't. Will they be getting rid of ceramic option now??

Also how is a different finish/color of existing design in a new model (for the next 7 years) be anything but a joke? Look at any other competitors and you will know the answer.

Nothing beats iDrive? Have you used the new system from MB in the S Class? Pretty subjective on this comment.

In any case, I can't understand what the fuss is about the S-class. Even that design was evolutionary.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #275
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

Why is this thread lacking the popular icon? Many have clicked this article.

Every vehicular product I have purchased new has come with multiple surveys in the mail, along with emails and calls.

Why doesn't someone create a survey thread of owners vs non
Owners vs age of owners of the 7-series and get feedback from those viewpoints?

And as mentioned above, I don't think the new 7 series
Is getting as much CFRP as thought. It seems more is going into the RR.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #276
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Not impressed with the design. I hate to say that but S class is s clear winner in this category.
      01-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #277
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan
How come the new 7 doesnt have the ugly hood shut line like the F8X?
They told us the hood line had to do with European pedestrian safety standard even though Audi/VW never had them.

The front looks pretty good.
They obviously figured out a solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #278
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
Not impressed with the design. I hate to say that but S class is s clear winner in this category.
Sweet get an S class.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #279
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick007
why are you guys being so rude to scott? seriously? chill out
Read my posts with quotes from Scott23. He made a bunch of false comments which I called him out on. Now he is deflecting and ignoring when I have actual proof. Also he said "challenge accepted" by dismissing my different view.
Ok you "won the internet". Yippee.

We got your point. STFU already, it's getting old. Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #280
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I'm reserving judgment until I see and drive it in person.

It's really hard to tell from the pics.
      01-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #281
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBeamer View Post
I hope BMW corporate sees this fucking post!😍
Watch it. We've lost many valuable members that have been banned for rants like this.

P.S. I agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #282
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm not keen on this new model.
The rear boot looks quite high which seems to make the back end look large as a result. ( Could this be so that hybrid versions have decent size boots?)
The lights look very much like the 6GC, not keen on them but just my opinion.
Too much chrome as well.

I still think the "best" bmws to date are the e38/e39/e46, they just got those three right at the time.

I'll wait for official pictures but my concern is that the next 5 will look like this to some extent......
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #283
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I will reserve judgement until official launch/official pictures, but I'm already missing the F01 7er.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #284
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post

Sweet get an S class.
even the upcoming Audi A8 looks and feels better inside and outside, so no need for the S-class
Attached Images

Last edited by Antares; 01-02-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #285
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Grainy Off-Angle Spy Shots of New 7er

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Even though the current exposed photos don't excite me and think the new S classe is luxurious, I would be interested in what current 7 series owners think. I am sure BMW have done their homework and have a clear idea of what their target market wants.
Current 7 series owners what say you?
Finally! Someone asking the opinion of those of us who actually own the current model 7-series. Thank you. Personally, I like the render posted in reply #158 of this thread. If you compare that render to the off-angle, grainy dark "spy" shot of the front of that 730d, you can see the headlight treatment is nearly identical (as is the kidney grille). I love my existing 7-series (F02 740Li) specifically for the front, rear and side-views, and think the enhancements BMW appears to have made in those areas (on the G11 / G12) are going to be handsome. One of my favorite things about my existing F02 7 are the tail lights. They're still sexy as hell at night, and the front end looks really aggressive too. And since I opted for the night-vision with pedestrian detection, I have the different grill (fewer slats) which makes it look a little meaner. Love this car. I also love the under-stated luxury of the interior. The one shot of the G11 730d we've seen proves that the interior changes (like the exterior) are evolutionary, not revolutionary. If they do for this new G11 / G12 what they did for the F01 / F02 vs. other cars in their lineup (e.g.: higher quality interior touches) I'll be fine. My existing F02 has much higher quality leather, higher quality leather dash, higher quality headliner, higher quality wood inserts (matte... really nice), etc. than other BMWs in it's model year lineup. Whenever I drive another BMW loaner, I'm thrilled to get back into the sports-luxury cockpit of my 7. I'm thinking the new G11 / G12 7 will be no different. The one thing I'm not thrilled about is the upright nav / iDrive screen protruding from the dash. I hated it in the F3X 3 / 4-series when those cars were revealed, and hate it here. The existing treatment is so much better.

I also have the luxury rear seating package which features reclining heated / cooled seats and massage. Believe me -- the back seat of my car is every bit as luxurious as the back seat of an S-class. It's just not all "chrome-y". Understated but well equipped. That's how I'd describe it.

Quote:
Guys need to calm down. These are grainy cellphone pics that obviously don't show off the character of the car.
[snip...]

Quote:
Bingo. Totally agree. The S-class design is just as "evolutionary" as the G11 / G12 appears to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
So.. what you are saying is 7 series owners want blacked out kidneys and smoked indicators. Didn't realise so may 17 year olds bought 7-ers.

Seriously though, whilst I agree that the LCI E38 was a great looking car, don't state your opinion as though you speak for all 7 series owners, current or potential. Scott is probably confident in what he says because BMW is bound to have taken into account a lot of feedback from current owners... and best not to forget a lot of those are not necessarily from traditional markets and may well have different tastes.
LMFAO! That first line was hilarious -- I was thinking something similar when I saw the photo. To each his own, though. I just don't happen to be the kind of guy who'd pimp-out a 7-series.

Regarding your second paragraph, you're right again. I've received no fewer than five (5) surveys directly from BMW regarding the existing 7-series over the past three years. The surveys focused on interior styling / design; exterior styling / design; engine / powertrain choices; wheel / tire combinations; prioritized electronic comfort and safety features, etc. I dutifully answered them all. They surveyed the hell out of their 7-series owners. I bought the car outright (not on lease), picked it up via European Delivery, am a paying member of BMW Assist (with concierge services), and have been active with my dealership (opting-in for surveys, etc.). Maybe that's why they send me so many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss View Post
Just curious: where / from whom / does BMW collect feedback about their cars? Are those some random people / or a certain group (membership type) of a.k.a loyal buyers?

I'm a very long time BMW owner and I haven't got any emails/calls whatsoever asking me about my thoughts of certain BMWs I drove/drive. Never.

I'm starting to think this whole customer feedback is nothing more than a method to STFU any one, who dares tell that the upcoming NG car is shit. A manipulative way to make a person think that if somebody likes it, then he will/should probably like it too. I hate that, but that's becoming a very powerful trend nowadays.

See my info on surveys above. Clearly they targeted me because I made it obvious to them that I was interested in receiving the "junk mail" and responded to it reliably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCar View Post
Dude -- you're both right. Time to let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Ok you "won the internet". Yippee.

We got your point. STFU already, it's getting old. Seriously.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #286
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

While this does not look anything like the two concepts presented, once official photos released, I think it will be really good. It is for sure no S Class, but it will have its own character. While I would have preferred something more spectacular from a design perspective to match the tech that I expect to be spectacular, I think it will be really ok once out. But the car might age very fast, on the other hand it also depends on competitors.

For those that sound disappointed about this new 7er, I think this is much better than the failure the new Q7 is from a design perspective.

So in general, I think this new 7er will be very nice car, but not a game changer. I expect the new A8 to surprise from a technical point, but to disappoint from a design point, not the mention the FWD platform which is a no go for me. One rival that should not get lost from the radar is the new Lexus LS that comes in 2017. It might be the greatest threat to all.

PS: Remember the new Panamera on new RWD platform is also on its way?
Appreciate 0