BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #331
BossBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexz View Post
1.BMW needs better exteriors, cars look to much alike with each other (look at MB, each car has a distinct look!)
2.BMW definetly needs BETTER interiors ! they've been stuck with the same interior design for ages, it's very outdated.
just compare the interior of the 3 series with the new C class ! the 3 series looks 20 years behind.Maybe same could be to G11 compared to the new S class.

When you say BMWS need new interiors, what do you mean? A different set up? Would the like the idrive screen to be put on the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #332
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

The S-Class interior?

Why would I want this moronic clown face staring back at me all the time!!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #333
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The S-Klasse is not a revolution in design its an evolution of the W221.
Could you tell us the exterior color on the 730d pictured
      01-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #334
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Scott...

I appreciate the what can only be described as "motivational wth condescending undertones" paragraphs you wrote. I would expect anyone employed by a brand to speak in this matter. I believe most of us current owners however, are educated, visual, and I'd venture to say 'enthusiasts' of automotive. So to say that the photos are unflattering is an understatement. But to say that placing it under Car Show lighting with larger wheels, different interior abd exterior colors will somehow magically make it a "different vehicle" than what we all see here is wishful thinking. It is NOT revolutionary but evolutionary. It is not the "flattering flagship" that we as loyal BMW customers deserve. Nor is it far and above the design language of the F0. So let's not insinuate something that is simply not the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #335
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

@Scott26: can you post a sketch with the front of the car? I think we can see the lines better in this way
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #336
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
The S-Class interior?

Even the V Class has the steering wheel from the S Coupe! This one might be one of the worst steering wheels I've seen in a luxury car
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #337
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Here is all I have to say to this. These pictures are taken from basically the worst angles possible. The front looks terrible through this, the car is lifted (probably due to spacers though), and the rear glosses back too much. But if you look at the test mule without heavy camo, you can see the real lines, and it looks really a lot sleeker, lower and definitely sportier and not like a barge. These pictures show you, the headlights aren't too large, and the body shape is really sporty, like a 4 series almost. And this is definitely revolutionary if you ask me compared to the barge of the F01. For the interior, its OK, it finally uses good materials such as leather or aluminium everywhere. What's really important to me is that they really do a good job for the rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #338
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
So we had a brief meeting this morning which include said representatives from the cargo company involved.
Let's just say that the ones that took the pictures , their reflections are visible on the car itself.
This was an advanced stage prototype that was to be used in order to showcase for the global distribution network as it stands the 7er is in its final stage of development which is why you will see it shortly braving the winter testing grounds of Sweden still in camouflage. And no the launch is not being brought forward as this this more or less something similar like being caught whilst on a media shoot.

On a personal reflection,the car in the pictures is not seen in profile but an angle in which several cars today can look ungainly and more condensed when viewed at similar angles. This is definitely one of those cases.
Another is the size of the photographs as if they have been cropped that they shorten the car itself.

Despite the profile you seen in the pictures this here is still the finished car even in its outline.
This is the car that will launch to the market. This is what you are getting.

As a question of perspective the headlights and front section of the car are in extreme close-up. Anything photographed this close will be much larger than it actually is.
But one thing I previously mentioned which can be seen in that scoop photograph is the detail of the Laser Light and indeed the internal workings that full the light unit such as the angular piece beside the grille and metallic surface at the base of the headlights. This fills the light unit so it does not look sparse.

Yes it is the interior of the new car but there are specifications to choose from as well as BMW Individual, the interior is minimalist and lounge like to avoid conflict with the more ornate hand crafted elegance found within a Rolls-Royce.
Mercedes have gone out to put the car at this level which it succeeds. But they can , BMW cannot do something similar and choose not to because they want to form a more distinctive line between its two brands so that they sit apart and not on each other. Yes new metallic switchgear replaces previous plastic the coating is of a very high quality as is the damping effect of the switchgear itself. These pictures do not show the full detail and also full specification available to customers.
This the entry 730d or if you will the European markets best selling 7er so it is specified to a degree in which base 7er customers option their car.

The new 7er rides with very stylish wheel options some can go up to 21" this car is using a smaller diameter rim and for transport has shipping blocks attached. In most cases a good size stylish wheel design can make or break a car as is some of the options on the F01 not only reflected luxury but also a sportier appearance.

The G11 will also offer wheel options that reflect its character.

The big picture however is although you think you have seen everything but actually you still have seen nothing and for that you have to wait for the official pictures which will show how good the car's appearance actually is.
Have patience.

The 7er is the lead car for innovation it gives the BMW customer or enthusiast the preview for what will be on their next 5er and 3er. It starts at the top and filters down the range bringing access to much used technology in a compact or even city car. The affordable luxury segment needs additional product sustainability. Its a segment that can be volatile in economic situations as people tend to downsize.
The upper segment is very much protected as customers in this market are more or less immune to such situations and would continue to purchase even in a bad economy. Additional sustainability for product will be supplied to cover all areas of the market in order to provide that particular demographic that always wants something new and far more distinctive and exclusive from current offerings. This is a segment which is growing but between 7er and the Rolls-Royce Ghost there is not a gap but a chasm.

The 9er will be our Maybach.
It will be a car that will not just offer passengers rejuvenation. It has been made clear from the VFL events across the globe since its introduction in Beijing that they want it to be a drivers car first and foremost and exclusive lounge secondary.
If we compare and contrast with the CS it was more difficult because on that concepts feedback some where unsure that such a car would be able to hold the BMW brand in such a high status. With the VFL the time passing has proved that there is a BMW customer that wants all typical BMW attributes but in a more exclusive sensual setting.
Feedback on this car has been very favourable with some wanting to leave the cheque right now.

VFL is a symbol of a changing market , sports coupes are being turned practical and SUVs are becoming more luxurious challenging the luxury sedan segment for sales. Since the introduction of the CS Concept to the Vision Future Luxury concept the 7years has been enough time to see how the market has changed and adapt accordingly.

Early sketches promise that the overall look and ambience will be retained but some of the rear details will be more conventional. The rear doors still look to be rear hinged as the CFRP fabricated module structure will be retained as it will be used for the next generation of Rolls-Royce Phantom. Sharing the structure allows for more flexibility across both BMW and Rolls-Royce and is cost effective. Although it will be a BMW , distinctive in every direction. The bridge segment to Rolls-Royce.

Vision Future Luxury is perceived as a "Vision" car which means the idea remains but progress will occur to bring it to production reality. Witness the Vision EfficientDynamics and its progress journey to the i8 or indeed the Vision ConnectedDrive which you will see later in 2015 has progressed into the upcoming jointly developed BMW-Toyota sports cars with a new philosophy to be as cutting edge , distinctive and visually appealing as the BMWi cars.

Innovation appeals to customers today and is one rule for BMW product to be driven by innovation and progress.
You just have to look at how progress has come from any car that used to 90% mechanical to today which substitutes such engineering in favour of more electric and computer software to assist the driver.
Then you have to look at the BMWi cars in which they are interesting because they are distinctive in order to sell and promote the philosophy of electric mobility. Something our competitors failed to understand when they resorted to simple and less costly electrification.

So... Will there be a seperate touchscreen for the passenger or in the rear seats, like the Connected drive concept?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #339
BossBeamer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Here is all I have to say to this. These pictures are taken from basically the worst angles possible. The front looks terrible through this, the car is lifted (probably due to spacers though), and the rear glosses back too much. But if you look at the test mule without heavy camo, you can see the real lines, and it looks really a lot sleeker, lower and definitely sportier and not like a barge. These pictures show you, the headlights aren't too large, and the body shape is really sporty, like a 4 series almost. And this is definitely revolutionary if you ask me compared to the barge of the F01. For the interior, its OK, it finally uses good materials such as leather or aluminium everywhere. What's really important to me is that they really do a good job for the rear.
Looks very nice in those spy shots. Those rims are sexy as well
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #340
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Scott...

I appreciate the what can only be described as "motivational wth condescending undertones" paragraphs you wrote. I would expect anyone employed by a brand to speak in this matter. I believe most of us current owners however, are educated, visual, and I'd venture to say 'enthusiasts' of automotive. So to say that the photos are unflattering is an understatement. But to say that placing it under Car Show lighting with larger wheels, different interior abd exterior colors will somehow magically make it a "different vehicle" than what we all see here is wishful thinking. It is NOT revolutionary but evolutionary. It is not the "flattering flagship" that we as loyal BMW customers deserve. Nor is it far and above the design language of the F0. So let's not insinuate something that is simply not the case.
Thank you.. glad someone see's through his subjective gibberish.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #341
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
I love outdated BMW interiors, the new S class interior looks hideous especially with those two lcd screens, it's an appliance. I hope BMW doesnt become more like M-B.

it's a car not a smart phone, I dont need redundant information i already have on my phone
2 large screens can display anything dynamically is an appliance? What appliances have 2 large screen that can have visual representation of data in different formats to suit the driver.

What phone and app will have all the information available from the dash? I mean beyond simple metrics, what app will display all of the car's info? Also do you drive looking at your phone? How big is your phone? 2 large screens like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #342
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This whole, "iPad as a NAV Screen" thing the Germans are doing is just stupid as hell. Do they honestly think not integrating the screen into the dash is cool or some shit?
Pretty sure you are the minority in this one. The direction of cars is to have large and more intuitive screens. Not doing so would be a risk I'm sure they would not take.

Also they have HUD much safer than looking at the dash but I would think the gauges trumps map info in priority.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #343
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2016 BMW 7 Series fully exposed. Front end styling is a combination of the F30 and X5.

The BIGGEST disappointment for me is that it looks like a facelifted F0! That dash looks damn near identical except for the steering wheel. I do like the headlight and tail light design. But again... That is to be expected from a "Face Lift" not a complete redesign from the floor up like the new S Class.[/B][/FONT]
Agreed, interior is joke and we were oversold on Scott23's poo. Same old with a different color of paint..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #344
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
I believe Scott has stated on a few occasions that they will release a model above the 7 series which will have more design cues from the vision future luxury concept.
Please.. he also said interior would be different and to ignore the leaked photos.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #345
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
So, some poor bastard is going to spend 100K on that???

With a 4 banger?
      01-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #346
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCar View Post
Pretty sure you are the minority in this one. The direction of cars is to have large and more intuitive screens. Not doing so would be a risk I'm sure they would not take.

Also they have HUD much safer than looking at the dash but I would think the gauges trumps map info in priority.
I'm ok with larger screens but not giant monitors. But what I'm specifically meaning is how the screens look literally like they took a iPad or tablet and simply stuck it on not in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #347
BananaCar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm ok with larger screens but not giant monitors. But what I'm specifically meaning is how the screens look literally like they took a iPad or tablet and simply stuck it on not in the dash.
To be fair the screens are going to be flat. I'm sure in the future maybe curved screens or something that is not rectangular but for now this is the technology and at a reasonable cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #348
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCar View Post
2 large screens can display anything dynamically is an appliance? What appliances have 2 large screen that can have visual representation of data in different formats to suit the driver.

What phone and app will have all the information available from the dash? I mean beyond simple metrics, what app will display all of the car's info? Also do you drive looking at your phone? How big is your phone? 2 large screens like this?
I dont need an app to display all the info I need,the speedometer, tach, oil temp is all i need when driving. Maybe a built-in vbox will be good but then again you still dont need two giant screens, a traditional nav screen can double as a vbox with the digital gauges left alone, fir when cars will provide vbox type data.

Two screens that look like two tablets stuck on the dashboards isnt what I want in my car.

I dont want to use a car to retrieve my email, get the weather, directions...i use my phone for that.
Which one do you like better,I understand a smart watch screen can display anything? Hahahaha

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #349
BossBeamer
Private
Rep

Nice
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #350
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
The S-Class interior?

Here you go...something to compare Sclass dash and specially the steering wheel with...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #351
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Nothin to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadjali View Post
There's nothing called pre production model ... Either a concept, test mule or a prodcution model. This one definitely the final production version no doubt.
what can he say in the face of all the clear cool reception. Bring Bangle back. He was not everyone's cup of tea but he was visionary.

After the i8, you would BMW would embrace a more confident approach to innovative design.

It is not late to make some changes...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #352
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

It is when the customer believes it so

Quote:
The S-Klasse is not a revolution in design its an evolution of the W221.
It is in the way it alters the perception of customers. In a strong 7'dominated market, our customers perceive it as jump in quality, exterior and interior design.

Before talking dynamics and driver or passenger appeal, the senses cannot but help to feel impressed. This is something I am sad to say that is lacking in what we see in the images for the 7'.

As insider myself, and after raising the bar with the i8 , I really expected more.

You can argue to your heart's content, but you cannot escape the fact that overwhelmingly the opinions of even your most ardent supporters have shown concern and distress.

As said before, it is not too late to make some changes rather than ignore the obvious and wait for the LCI.

We eat with our eyes before our mouths and this dish does not look as appetizing as its ingredients promise.
Appreciate 0