BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-31-2022, 09:39 PM   #1
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep
Drives: BMW E38 740i, BMW F01 750i.

F01 N63 stalls

Hey guys, I decided to gamble on an N63 car. I'm more of an M62 guy, but what's the worst that could happen?

2009 750i, when it gets hot ie. stopped at a red light for a minute, it'll fall into "Fuel System Malfunction" and limp mode, and then die. If you wait around 10 minutes, it'll start back up no problem.

If you're on the Interstate for hours, no issues. If you're on a short journey less than 30 minutes, it's totally fine. Runs smooth, power is great.

I verified with my scan tool that the HPFPs follow the commanded fuel pressures, but the LPFP throws a power issue code. I'll have to scan it again and reply with the specific code.

My thoughts are.. Crank position sensor, LP fuel pump relay, LPFP, and worst case scenario, DME. (Edit) Now adding in EKPS module.

Thoughts? Check engine light and limp mode goes off after 2-3 starts.

Car has 138,000 on it, pretty much all highway miles. It's had chains, HPFPs, index 12s, valve stem seals, and two turbos done to it less than 15,000 miles ago. I know the PO and it was only dealer maintained at BMW of Crystal Lake IL.

Last edited by 7'er-addict; 08-31-2022 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Adding EKPS to case log
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 12:32 AM   #2
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep

Found a used EKPM3 module from an identical F01 for $50 shipped, I grabbed it and will throw it in for the hell of it. I am certainly leaning towards this module with the reading I've done, and yeah I am throwing parts at it..but I'll at least have one laying around if it isn't the issue.

I decided to also throw my amp clamp to see how much it's drawing when cold versus hot. I found a post stating it should be 7-12 amps, so we will see what mine is.

Also found many posts recommending additional cooling on the EKPM, whether that's an accessory fan or an external passive heatsink. I don't think this is a half bad idea, I think I will add a nice stock Intel cooler LMAO!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep

Update..

Did testing on amperage coming from the fuel pump module (EKPM3).

My low pressure fuel pump is drawing approximately 7.5amps while driving. 10 amps was the highest I saw it go at a cold start. A full throttle situation yielded 7.5-8amps.

I'm crossing LPFP and DME off of the list as the LPFP does not seem to be drawing an excessive amount of current, and the DME is not throwing any communication bus line faults.

I am also crossing crank position sensor off, as there is still crank signal presence whilst the vehicle is "dead".

What is completely blacked out while the vehicle is dead, is the EKPM3 fuel pump module.

So we know that the module has failed, and there is nothing in the rest of the vehicle that has caused that failure.

I call this case closed, even if the new fuel pump module hasn't arrived yet

cheers folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep

EKPM3 fixed it!

Did not even need to code the used module. The one that came had a newer part number than what would have originally come in a 2009.

I did code and update the module, and the car is such a dream to drive.

The biggest shocker was when I did an oil change and it called for 9.5 quarts!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #5
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

I think the F02 is a dying bread, not much activity on this, and I am in the middle of a F02 M Sport restore, will have to post pics when done, she's going to be pretty and better than before. Found me some new LED upgrade headlights for 1500 total (And complete plug and play - yes you heard that right)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:33 PM   #6
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajja View Post
I think the F02 is a dying bread, not much activity on this, and I am in the middle of a F02 M Sport restore, will have to post pics when done, she's going to be pretty and better than before. Found me some new LED upgrade headlights for 1500 total (And complete plug and play - yes you heard that right)
I'd be interested in that retrofit but I am more likely to do a factory kit.

7er chassis are rare, unfortunately. I kind of like it that way but I do enjoy the rare sight of another 750. Aka-, someone else that endlessly dumps money into their car
Appreciate 0