BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

03-26-2023, 11:45 PM   #1
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 series

Moon roof cracked with no cause

My 740 is always parked in my driveway with nothing above it all and I come back to the car and see the inside of the moon roof cracked. You cannot see the crack from the outside. And also cannot feel it from the inside and outside. Very strange. I feel it happened from shutting all the doors at once constisntly? Maybe the pressure from all the doors closing at one time from the automatic doors constantly caused it too crack..? Not too sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
That's awful. The door's do tend to smash when shutting automatically. I don't know why BMW offer soft-close doors when the automatic doors shut this way. It could be a valid explanation. Else it could just be another quality issue from BMW as we've noticed recently
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Most likely it is a defect inn the glass. There are posts in other forums over the years of glass sunroofs cracking. I suppose it is inevitable to have some defective even with a sunroof that does not open.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

I hope BMW doesnt push back on warranty replacement of the glass
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Doors closing would never cause such overpressure. If there are no obvious chips on the exterior glass that might have come from the impact, then length and location of this fracture indicate undistributed tensile forces. Definitely a manufacturers responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

@guynamedguy did they agree to replace it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:51 PM   #7
Bmtech03
Registered
Rep
Drives: Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
There is a BMW TSARA case open on this vehicle, it looks as though it will be covered by warranty. The cause of the failure has not yet been announced.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #8
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I hope BMW doesnt push back on warranty replacement of the glass
They just called me today, and they’re fully covering everything 👍👍👍👍
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes they just agreed to replace under warranty. Thank God.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue221.50
      04-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #10
bimmer32
Rep
Drives: 750Li

I'm curious. Could you ask the SA how much it actually cost to replace it out of warranty? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #11
Joe cat
Rep
Drives: Genesis gv70

My roof developed bubbles in it and I asked for a new car AND THEY GAVE ME ONE- absolutely amazing

A brand new fresh one! With about 1500 more in options free!

Definitely ask
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue221.50
      04-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #12
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe cat View Post
My roof developed bubbles in it and I asked for a new car AND THEY GAVE ME ONE- absolutely amazing

Definitely ask
They branded the title of your car for a defective glass?

Last edited by Jagu; 05-02-2023 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #13
Joe cat
Rep

Branded - I don’t know

But gave me a new one - priceless!!!

I bet they just took it in as a trade according to them and then they’ll fix it and then I’ll send it to the auction or whatever
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue221.50
      05-04-2023, 01:29 AM   #14
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe cat View Post

Definitely ask
Can you explain a little bit on what you said? How did you guys come to agree on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #15
Joe cat
Rep

Sorry don’t understand your question ?

I had asked for a new car and they said they would get back to me and sure enough - they said yes-

And the rest is history

Very very impressed with bmw
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue221.50
      05-23-2023, 03:49 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuynamedGuy View Post
...Maybe the pressure from all the doors closing at one time from the automatic doors constantly caused it too crack..? Not too sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW
Most likely it is a defect inn the glass. There are posts in other forums over the years of glass sunroofs cracking.
Glad it's being covered under warranty and you didn't have to do a song and dance to get them on your side.

But ditto AlteBMW...this has happened to BMW (and other car brands) before. It's not real common but I have read about it before across multiple BMW forums over the decades. Thankfully it happened when the car was parked and not being driven down the highway (like some). First the surprise of it occurring while driving could be dangerous.

This also reminded me of a very old post from back in 2006 which discussed the air flow through the vehicle that most owners overlook or don't notice. In the 2006 thread on Bimmerboard's e38 forum...it came to light when someone asked what the vents in the rear parcel shelf was for.

The answer was that it was the path that the air in the cabin took as pressure builds inside the cabin to escape through the air vents in the trunk to the exterior of the car. This is how/why the doors can be shut without too much force and not pop back open due to the cabin's pressure.

The pics below are from an e38 7 series...but shows how the air flows from inside the cabin through the air vents built into the rear parcel shelf into the holes in the trunk lining to eventually flow out of the vents installed in the rear fenders (hidden from view). I'm sure if you look closely at your G70 7 series...you can find the path that the cabins air flow travels to escape the vehicle and release the cabin pressure to the exterior:

{vents in the rear parcel shelf}

{vent holes below the rear parcel shelf}

{holes designed into the trunk's lining on the left & right sides on the pull down covers to access the CD changer/amp/etc and on the pull down cover for the battery compartment}

{these are the vents that open when pressure builds inside the cabin to release to the exterior of the vehicle...the screw driver is pushed into the vents in the 1st pic below}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #17
JTBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760

Quote:
Can you explain a little bit on what you said? How did you guys come to agree on that?
What was the outcome of your repairs? I sent in my 2023 760 a few weeks ago. It appears the dealership is giving the the run around. They did say it was covered by warranty. However, they didn't have procedures to repair the glass and they needed a BMW engineer to come out to look at it and write up procedures. It is coming up on them having the car for 30 days at which time I can technically say it is a lemon under the lemon laws. I wonder if it is worth the effort to get it repair or just ask them to replace it. Since the 760s are in short supply, it will take time to get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 02:40 AM   #18
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW View Post
What was the outcome of your repairs? I sent in my 2023 760 a few weeks ago. It appears the dealership is giving the the run around. They did say it was covered by warranty. However, they didn't have procedures to repair the glass and they needed a BMW engineer to come out to look at it and write up procedures. It is coming up on them having the car for 30 days at which time I can technically say it is a lemon under the lemon laws. I wonder if it is worth the effort to get it repair or just ask them to replace it. Since the 760s are in short supply, it will take time to get a new one.
I have also been getting the run around from my dealership saying the exact same thing. I am still in possession of my vehicle. They keep telling me me since 2 months that they’re waiting on the glass to ship to the dealer. I contacted bmw corporate, and explained my situation. I requested a new car at this point because I thought about there is going to be some random guy installing this all glass roof that has never been done on any other Bmw besides this one. And it’s not like it’s going to be coming from professionals at the assembly line in Germany. So I feel like a pushed me and my family at risk for our safety for not knowing if this guy who installs my glass roof, which is definitely going to be his first time he’s going to even do it, right. Bmw told me over the phone that a representative from the higher-ups will contact me in. Regards in getting me a new vehicle but they have not contacted me yet. It’s been about five days. Do you mind sharing some of your pictures of your roof as well so I can see how it looks? The picture from my post is old and the crack has got much worse since then.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #19
JTBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760

Quote:
I have also been getting the run around from my dealership saying the exact same thing. I am still in possession of my vehicle. They keep telling me me since 2 months that they’re waiting on the glass to ship to the dealer. I contacted bmw corporate, and explained my situation. I requested a new car at this point because I thought about there is going to be some random guy installing this all glass roof that has never been done on any other Bmw besides this one. And it’s not like it’s going to be coming from professionals at the assembly line in Germany. So I feel like a pushed me and my family at risk for our safety for not knowing if this guy who installs my glass roof, which is definitely going to be his first time he’s going to even do it, right. Bmw told me over the phone that a representative from the higher-ups will contact me in. Regards in getting me a new vehicle but they have not contacted me yet. It’s been about five days. Do you mind sharing some of your pictures of your roof as well so I can see how it looks? The picture from my post is old and the crack has got much worse since then.
I am not in possession of my vehicle, so I don't have any pics to share. The pic you shared was very similar but mine had several different lines cracking. When the dealership and I touched the glass on the inside and outside, you can't feel the crack. The dealership was quick to say it was a warranty issue as they have a similar issue with the iX. This dealership has a few vehicles with this issue and none of them have been repaired. The dealership did say they don't see this as a safety issue.

I bought the car on April 12th. It went into the shop on June 19th. After 30 days, it was technically a lemon under Texas lemon laws. I told the dealership that they needed to do what is right and replace the car. Within a day or so, the sales rep contacted me and said they would work with BMW corporate to replace the car. They ordered the new car last week and they are still working with BMW corporate on the replacement process. I suspect that process will take a few months but the delivery time is between 4 to 6 months. In the meantime, I am driving a loaner vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:52 PM   #20
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW View Post
I am not in possession of my vehicle, so I don't have any pics to share. The pic you shared was very similar but mine had several different lines cracking. When the dealership and I touched the glass on the inside and outside, you can't feel the crack. The dealership was quick to say it was a warranty issue as they have a similar issue with the iX. This dealership has a few vehicles with this issue and none of them have been repaired. The dealership did say they don't see this as a safety issue.

I bought the car on April 12th. It went into the shop on June 19th. After 30 days, it was technically a lemon under Texas lemon laws. I told the dealership that they needed to do what is right and replace the car. Within a day or so, the sales rep contacted me and said they would work with BMW corporate to replace the car. They ordered the new car last week and they are still working with BMW corporate on the replacement process. I suspect that process will take a few months but the delivery time is between 4 to 6 months. In the meantime, I am driving a loaner vehicle.
Hey any update on your repurchase? They denied me mine, twice.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #21
Neubs1
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760iX

My Glass Roof Also Cracked in my 2023 760i

Just as the original post described above, my glass roof cracked after 5 weeks of ownership, with 1700 miles on the odometer. Mine cracked from the left (driver) side, near the center fore and aft, extending approx. 14 inches toward the center of the roof.

The crack is in the interior glass layer - I had not thought about it being a multi-layer piece.

I do not have auto-closing doors.

The car was always either in my garage or being driven by me.

Although I purchased the car from BMW in Palm Beach, my closest dealer is in Ocala Florida and they have the car.

They had a BMW Engineer come and assess on 22 or 25 September. Shortly afterward, I was informed that BMW would cover the costs as a warranty repair. One Service Advisor mentioned to the entire roof had to be removed to affect the repair.

Through the 'MyBMW' app on my phone, I tracked the vehicle to a nearby collision center, where it has been for about two weeks.

I have a 2023 760iX Loaner Vehicle. I dropped my car off at the Dealer 39 days ago.

I really like the vehicle that I purchased and I WANT to believe that the fix will be top quality and permanent.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:43 AM   #22
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubs1 View Post
Just as the original post described above, my glass roof cracked after 5 weeks of ownership, with 1700 miles on the odometer. Mine cracked from the left (driver) side, near the center fore and aft, extending approx. 14 inches toward the center of the roof.

The crack is in the interior glass layer - I had not thought about it being a multi-layer piece.

I do not have auto-closing doors.

The car was always either in my garage or being driven by me.

Although I purchased the car from BMW in Palm Beach, my closest dealer is in Ocala Florida and they have the car.

They had a BMW Engineer come and assess on 22 or 25 September. Shortly afterward, I was informed that BMW would cover the costs as a warranty repair. One Service Advisor mentioned to the entire roof had to be removed to affect the repair.

Through the 'MyBMW' app on my phone, I tracked the vehicle to a nearby collision center, where it has been for about two weeks.

I have a 2023 760iX Loaner Vehicle. I dropped my car off at the Dealer 39 days ago.

I really like the vehicle that I purchased and I WANT to believe that the fix will be top quality and permanent.

Hello, it took about 3 1/2 months for the new glass roof to arrive from Germany and I dropped my car off about 29 days ago and they are telling me it is still nowhere near done. They left me with a five series loaner which is pretty disappointing. When I contacted Bmw North America to request a repurchase of a new 7 series due to the fact that I did not want to be going through this, they denied me twice after it was sent up to higher management. I am worried that the roof is not going to be installed properly as it is on a assembly line in Germany but I guess I have no choice at this point. after contacting Bmw North America for third time they said that they would compensate me for the downtime of not having my vehicle For the payments that I am making.
Appreciate 0