BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-09-2023, 09:25 PM   #1
BMWKaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i7

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Bye Bye Lucid hello i7

Got our i7 last night and excited to be here. Still trying to work my way around the vehicle and early tips appreciated.

A bit disappointed as it appears we cannot get data service in the vehicle as we are with Verizon … even though we have two cellular/data plans for 2 iPads with ATT.

But so far so good…
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KoenG1426.50
      04-09-2023, 10:46 PM   #2
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Congrats!! What are your thoughts on the Lucid and how does it compare?
Appreciate 1
BMWKaz13.00
      04-09-2023, 11:31 PM   #3
BMWKaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
They are definitely different vehicles. I got the Lucid in September and it was my first EV. When it comes to their hardware Lucid has done a phenomenal job. Their battery was great, charging speed awesome, and compared to my very short experience yesterday with BMW and EA- lucid seems to be better integrated with EA (literally plug and charge and no credit card or authorization through the app). Most importantly on the charging… it appears EA and BMW tie your free charging to one profile, rather than the vehicle, which is frankly bizarre. With lucid it was tied to the vehicle and vin, irrespective who was driving it.

The power of the Lucid (I had the grand touring) also far surpasses the i7 along with the handling. The Lucid was very responsive and aggressive and sat lower to the ground (though this makes it also difficult to get in and out of and most people bang there heads getting into the vehicle)

Having said all of that, I think lucid still lacks substantially on the software end. To be fair they are constantly updating over the air and it has been improving but they are still a bit behind. It also appears the i7 auto drive is already ahead of Lucids Highway assist at this stage. I did prefer having some physical buttons in the lucid over the i7 having to go through the display. The biggest drawback I think at this stage for Lucid is the limited service facilities, the kinks they’re still trying to work out, and the cost vs what you get on the luxury and comfort side.

The i7 I believe has everyone beat at the moment in terms of Luxury, drive comfort, and cool gadget factor (I.e the theatre mode) and all at relatively less cost (compared to the Grabd Touring model).

One thing I’m a bit annoyed with in my 2 day old i7 is the inability to get data in the vehicle without TMobile or ATT. It somewhat renders the theatre mode handicap. We have data plans with ATT for iPads but not cellular (that’s with Verizon).

Overall… the lucid is an amazing fun car to drive, but at their prices you don’t get much in terms of luxury (they have Tesla beat though), but for best value for money spent in terms of comfort and luxury the i7 is the logical choice.

Let me know if you have any specific questions as I feel I may have rambled there
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 12:15 AM   #4
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Truly appreciate the response. Even though I only got my 760 two and a half months ago I’m always interested in what the new players are doing. I drove Tesla exclusively for 5 years and really liked their software updates, continuous feature adds etc but it liked in refinement and luxury. I really like my 760 but was curious how Lucid compared as that is, together with the EQS (which I’ve owned), the only true competitors to the i7.

The EA plug-and-play being tied to the profile seems strange. You may want to ask that question on the BMW iX forum which has a lot of knowledgeable people. I’m often there reading about people’s experience as it’s on the shortlist to replace my wife’s Model X.
Appreciate 1
BMWKaz13.00
      04-10-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
paladin732
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lucid air

I'd be happy to answer some questions on Lucid also. I'm still a member of my local Lucid community, but I am in the process of lemon-ing mine. It has spent a third of its life in the shop. The final straw was the fact it thinks I don't exist when I sit in the passenger seat (Something to do with the sensor placement and its minimum weight calibration).

We are considering the i7 to replace it. It is such a comfortable car to sit in and drive, and a dramatically better "bang for the buck" then Lucid.

My big concern with the i7 is they seem to have just gimped it due to chip shortages

No auto doors
No massaging seats anymore
No stablization anymore
etc, etc
Appreciate 1
BMWKaz13.00
      04-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
BMWKaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
I'd be happy to answer some questions on Lucid also. I'm still a member of my local Lucid community, but I am in the process of lemon-ing mine. It has spent a third of its life in the shop. The final straw was the fact it thinks I don't exist when I sit in the passenger seat (Something to do with the sensor placement and its minimum weight calibration).

We are considering the i7 to replace it. It is such a comfortable car to sit in and drive, and a dramatically better "bang for the buck" then Lucid.

My big concern with the i7 is they seem to have just gimped it due to chip shortages

No auto doors
No stablization anymore
etc, etc
Lucid did right by me and I’m sure they will work with you as well. I’ll consider going back for the gravity if they work out their kinks.

I tried going online to order the BMW and ran into the same issues with the shortages. It does appear though that some dealers ordered vehicles without clients. I went in to a local dealer and told them what I was looking for and they gave me a list of vehicle on their way in. I was lucky as this one has a reservation that backed out so I got it within two weeks of me letting them know.

I’d try checking in with a local dealer and let them know what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
paladin732
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lucid air

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKaz View Post
Lucid did right by me and I’m sure they will work with you as well. I’ll consider going back for the gravity if they work out their kinks.

I tried going online to order the BMW and ran into the same issues with the shortages. It does appear though that some dealers ordered vehicles without clients. I went in to a local dealer and told them what I was looking for and they gave me a list of vehicle on their way in. I was lucky as this one has a reservation that backed out so I got it within two weeks of me letting them know.

I’d try checking in with a local dealer and let them know what you are looking for.
That’s what I was considering, but I may also just go without for a bit.

I actually think in general Lucid is a great company, it’s just the Dream Editions are insanely buggy(and early Grand Tourings). The interior is really nice and tasteful, and huge for the size of vehicle.

I’m worried about the i7 handling. How does it compare being a good foot and a half longer? Is it noticeable while driving/turning/parking/etc?

As for the buy back, they have been dragging their feet, but I’m fine with that for now.
Appreciate 1
BMWKaz13.00
      04-11-2023, 04:04 PM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKaz View Post

This is what happened to me when I was looking for a car after my first was totaled. But dealers also swap with other dealers, so when you look on line expand the search to 100 miles out. You may find something already built to specs acceptable to you and still unsold. I found one that was 2 hours away and my dealer successfully swapped for it. The whole process was 6 days including a weekend.
Appreciate 1
BMWKaz13.00
      04-11-2023, 09:48 PM   #9
BMWKaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
That’s what I was considering, but I may also just go without for a bit.

I actually think in general Lucid is a great company, it’s just the Dream Editions are insanely buggy(and early Grand Tourings). The interior is really nice and tasteful, and huge for the size of vehicle.

I’m worried about the i7 handling. How does it compare being a good foot and a half longer? Is it noticeable while driving/turning/parking/etc?

As for the buy back, they have been dragging their feet, but I’m fine with that for now.
The buyback with Lucid shouldn’t take longer than 2 weeks … enjoy it while you have it.

As for the i7 you won’t really feel the difference in length. It is actually more comfortable than the Lucid, however the Lucid felt more responsive and sporty and substantially faster. That is not to say that the i7 handles bad, but I wouldn’t be racing a corvette with the i7. But I have to admit I get more excited about the i7 as I think they’ve done a great job with the integration of software (mind you I’m only 3 days in and definitely more luxury and cool tech inside. My AGT may have been one of the earlier models. I really like Lucid as well and hope they succeed. I’m on the list for the Gravity and hope they work out the kinks by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #10
BMWKaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
[QUOTE=paladin732;30021544]I'd be happy to answer some questions on Lucid also. I'm still a member of my local Lucid community, but I am in the process of lemon-ing mine. It has spent a third of its life in the shop. The final straw was the fact it thinks I don't exist when I sit in the passenger seat (Something to do with the sensor placement and its minimum weight calibration).

No auto doors
No stablization anymore
etc, etc

Agree with the bang for the buck sentiment 100%
Appreciate 0