BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-24-2023, 01:20 AM   #1
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

Car unstable/swaying on road

Over the past few weeks I have noticed my car starting to sway left and right on the road. Kind of like the car driving in rain grooves in the road. Car seems too unstable to not grab the wheel hard.

Tires are fairly new....5 months with less than 3000 miles on all 4 (pirellis)

Took the car in for alignment twice but both times came out fine with the exception of the right rear camber being "at spec"

And it seems to be more noticeable at higher speeds (ie faster than 40mph)

No suspension noises or grinding sounds when turning.

Sometimes there seems to be vibrations from front tire but its rare.

Any ideas?

thanks!
      04-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Couple questions :

1) does it feel like it is hopping side to side? That could indicate you gave bent wheels. Have you hit any potholes or anything recently?

2) what size rims do you have? Staggered fit?

3) what you're pressures set at?

4) was this happening before the pirelli install is after? Could be a defective tire or poor balancing.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Couple questions :

1) does it feel like it is hopping side to side? That could indicate you gave bent wheels. Have you hit any potholes or anything recently?

2) what size rims do you have? Staggered fit?

3) what you're pressures set at?

4) was this happening before the pirelli install is after? Could be a defective tire or poor balancing.
stock wheels and it just started happening about a couple weeks ago.

I don't think wheels are bent. I got an appt coming up to check balance. but the tire place did a visual and said nothing seemed out of place
      04-24-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Not sure what model you're driving or your rim /tire size but try lowering the tire pressures in the front by 4 psi and see if that helps. For example if your cold tire pressure calls for 40 f and 40 r, just lower the front to 36 cold.

I found that a 4 psi separation on my M760i has made the car track straighter and ride better. Now that's it's warmer out I've been using 34 cold f and 38 rear and I'm very happy. the car no longer tram lines or crashes over bumps. When hot, psi is about 38 and 42.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #5
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Have you had a reputable shop look for play in suspension?

If there is no play in suspension then a good wheel alignment place should know how to adjust tow in/out in order to alleviate customer's complaints. It's not just about being in the factory spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Do you have air suspension AND did your tire shop deactivate it while it was on the lift?

If not, and if you are lucky, just requires the suspension to be reset. One method is to use the suspension button on the center console by the gear shifter, following the prescribed reset method, while another method is to pull the negative cable from your battery in your trunk for a 15 to 30 minutes.

If the reset does not fix your issue, then there is a possibility that during serviced your vehicle on a lift, one of the air bag crimp rings have been dislocated from over inflating w/o the correct load on the air bags (you can google this for greater details), and the only fix for this issue is to replace the damaged air bag.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Do you have air suspension AND did your tire shop deactivate it while it was on the lift?

If not, and if you are lucky, just requires the suspension to be reset. One method is to use the suspension button on the center console by the gear shifter, following the prescribed reset method, while another method is to pull the negative cable from your battery in your trunk for a 15 to 30 minutes.

If the reset does not fix your issue, then there is a possibility that during serviced your vehicle on a lift, one of the air bag crimp rings have been dislocated from over inflating w/o the correct load on the air bags (you can google this for greater details), and the only fix for this issue is to replace the damaged air bag.

sorry...all I heard was $$$$$$

I don't think they put it on a lift and after reading what you wrote I hope they didn't sounds like an expensive fix
      04-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #8
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Have you had a reputable shop look for play in suspension?

If there is no play in suspension then a good wheel alignment place should know how to adjust tow in/out in order to alleviate customer's complaints. It's not just about being in the factory spec.
not yet. I got an appt with the bmw dealer for the annual ass reaming so I was going to ask then.
      05-28-2023, 07:51 AM   #9
shelbygt1007
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 730d

If theres wind from side or from positive way,the car will feel unstable on highway,mine has the same problem,and also my x5. Its caused by lighter weight of car, soft suspension and higher chassis,which can make car feel floating when wind pass under car,and thanks to lighter electronic steering wheels,you cant feel the situation of your front wheel,and so easy to over turn from side to side. What I done is change the drive mode into sport individual,with sport suspension,sport steering,and comfort power,which can lower the chassis,make suspension harder,and give you more resistence to adjust steering wheel more accurate,this can make your car more stable.Of course,with 2 full size man at back seat will be better.
Appreciate 0