BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #23
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

My dudes and dudettes who are debating whether people really mean it when they call something ugly or stylish… what.. what the heck..
Just remember just because you or your friends and families act or think one way doesn’t mean everyone else does too. Your sample size shouldn’t only include yourself and a few other people

Anyways the car is better than an EQS just don’t look at it if it seems unappealing lol
Appreciate 1
E66er117.50
      04-29-2023, 10:00 PM   #24
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I am paraphrasing someone else’s comment but why cannot BMW design something that people like from day one and doesn’t have to grow on you
This is not an issue unique to BMW nowadays...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:37 PM   #25
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
This is not an issue unique to BMW nowadays...
At least Mercedes doesn’t have this problem. As you can see this design will not grow on anyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #26
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
How does driving a hideous looking car let people know you are rich? Driving a beautiful Ferrari Roma or Portofina will let people know you're rich, not something that looks worse than a family truckster. Even the beautiful Peugeot exalt concept says I'm rich, and it's a Peugeot. BMW is going the exactly opposite direction.

And for those that think others actually mean what they say, Ha! I get compliments on my car, but it's certainly not a beautiful car. It reminds me of when I was about 7 years old and we went over to my dad's co-workers house because they had a new baby. It was very confusing how my parents kept talking about how cute their baby was when I thought it was ugly.

When we got in the car and left both my parents started talking about how ugly that baby was. So I asked them why they would say the baby was cute when it was so ugly. My mom explained to me you have to tell them that so they won't be upset with you.
I don’t disagree with you, but wanted to say, you do lose a little bit of credibility due to your forum handle.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar413.00
      04-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #27
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
You're just trying to pass your subjective opinion off as fact, and its not fact. Its individual taste...the very definition of subjectivity.

When I first saw the 7 Series I thought it was truly hideous. But, I have seen them out in the wild now and it has grown on me a lot in the right colors and the right trim. Dare I say I actually like it now.

People that like this car are not wrong, just as you are not wrong for not liking it.
While I agree with you last statement, I'll also help you out with a quote from Road and Track, "The front end isn’t as outright offensive as it is on the M3 and M4, but it’s an undeniably strange collection of shapes." The statement of a strange collection of shapes is an undeniable fact. Whether those strange collection of shapes are attractive or not is a subjective opinion.

One thing I will say though, if you go look at the review of the 760ix on Car and Driver the comments very well tell the story of just what a monstrosity this thing is. That's a good source for auto enthusiast in general and 99% of the comments are similar to this, "So maybe the Toyota Crown isn't the ugliest new sedan."

And I have seen a few at my dealer, even worse in person than in pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:26 AM   #28
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: -

Sales are pretty good so far in America. Don't like it don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:28 AM   #29
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Just remember just because you or your friends and families act or think one way doesn’t mean everyone else does too. Your sample size shouldn’t only include yourself and a few other people
Apparently this concept is VERY hard to grasp for some.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #30
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I looked at this but would go with the x7 since we have a family of 5. It’s a huge car, absolutely enormous. The ride height is almost X5 level.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #31
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
While I agree with you last statement, I'll also help you out with a quote from Road and Track, "The front end isn’t as outright offensive as it is on the M3 and M4, but it’s an undeniably strange collection of shapes." The statement of a strange collection of shapes is an undeniable fact. Whether those strange collection of shapes are attractive or not is a subjective opinion.

One thing I will say though, if you go look at the review of the 760ix on Car and Driver the comments very well tell the story of just what a monstrosity this thing is. That's a good source for auto enthusiast in general and 99% of the comments are similar to this, "So maybe the Toyota Crown isn't the ugliest new sedan."

And I have seen a few at my dealer, even worse in person than in pics.
You have established that some people including you do not like the looks of the new 7's on a forum mainly for people who have bought. What is the reason for that other than to provoke those of us who feel differently? That's trolling.
Appreciate 1
E66er117.50
      05-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #32
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
You have established that some people including you do not like the looks of the new 7's on a forum mainly for people who have bought. What is the reason for that other than to provoke those of us who feel differently? That's trolling.
I still can’t get over the previous comment about justifying calling a baby ugly in private. Like sure some things are ugly but bruh we don’t have to go out justifying stuff like that..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:57 PM   #33
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
It's interesting the way people like to use subjective/opinion. Lack on continuity, lack of dynamic flow, an odd group of shapes that do not compliment/enhance each other is not a matter on opinion, it is not subjective. What is subjective is when someone is of the opinion of, "I like big large vertical grills on the front of a car with a horizontal face". Yes, some like it, but most don't and it's certainly not dynamic flow. The Edsel also a vertical grill on a horizontal front. You and others probably think the pics below are really cool. I don't.

Frank Stephenson gets it. He can explain it better than me. And so does the sketch monkey. I agree with the sketch monkey, wouldn't take too much to make the M2 look really good. But I don't agree the lower front intake is acceptable because they're functional. The M5 and M8 both have awesome looking front intakes and they're functional.

Except, they both like the new 7. Not every aspect from every angle, but they both have good things to say about it.
Appreciate 1
E66er117.50
      05-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #34
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
How does driving a hideous looking car let people know you are rich? Driving a beautiful Ferrari Roma or Portofina will let people know you're rich, not something that looks worse than a family truckster. Even the beautiful Peugeot exalt concept says I'm rich, and it's a Peugeot. BMW is going the exactly opposite direction.

And for those that think others actually mean what they say, Ha! I get compliments on my car, but it's certainly not a beautiful car. It reminds me of when I was about 7 years old and we went over to my dad's co-workers house because they had a new baby. It was very confusing how my parents kept talking about how cute their baby was when I thought it was ugly.

When we got in the car and left both my parents started talking about how ugly that baby was. So I asked them why they would say the baby was cute when it was so ugly. My mom explained to me you have to tell them that so they won't be upset with you.
I don’t think it’s hideous. I like how it looks. My idea of a “rich looking” car is imposing luxury, like a Phantom, and that’s what the new 7 has.
Appreciate 1
E66er117.50
      05-01-2023, 11:16 PM   #35
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Except, they both like the new 7. Not every aspect from every angle, but they both have good things to say about it.
Lol...I guess he'll change his opinion now - because his opinion is formed by what these 2 people say?

Last edited by E66er; 05-02-2023 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0