BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-17-2023, 07:14 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Introducing the 2024 BMW i7 M70 xDrive

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Introducing the BMW i7 M70 xDrive
COMMENTS
Name:  aP90500601.jpeg
Views: 4267
Size:  1.09 MB

The quickest and most powerful model in BMW’s all-electric range.
650 hp and up to 811 lb-ft of torque translates to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.
Preliminary estimated EPA range up to 295 miles.
iDrive with BMW Operating System 8.5 featuring M-design content.
MSRP to be released closer to start of production.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 17, 2023… Today, BMW M introduces the most powerful purely electric model in the BMW portfolio – the 2024 BMW i7 M70 xDrive. With two electric motors generating a maximum system output of 650 hp and an M-tuned chassis, the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive delivers a captivating blend of electric mobility and performance. The range-topping model of the new BMW 7 Series line-up will accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in an estimated 3.5 seconds, making it the quickest fully electric BMW model.

The BMW i7 M70 xDrive marks another milestone for BMW M GmbH in its transformation to electric mobility. Following the launch of the BMW i4 M50 – BMW M GmbH’s best-selling model worldwide in 2022 – and the BMW iX M60, the i7 M70 xDrive is the company’s third performance model to have an all-electric drive system.

The new i7 M70 xDrive will make its global debut at the Auto Shanghai international motor show in China and will be built at BMW Group Plant Dingolfing – the competence center for electric drive system production where both the electric motors and the high-voltage batteries for all variants of the BMW i7 are manufactured on site. The worldwide market launch of the BMW i7 M70 xDrive will start in the second half of 2023.

The most powerful electric motor from BMW.

An M-specific configuration of the drive system technology enables the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive’s rear-axle motor to achieve new levels of power density. The drive unit has a six-phase design with a dual inverter. This forms the basis for a substantial increase in output that remains consistent as speed builds, endowing the BMW i7 M70 xDrive with the power delivery characteristic of M models. The motor’s power density of 2.41 kW/kg represents an increase of 25.5% over the unit that drives the rear axle of the BMW i7 xDrive60, resulting in what is currently the company’s most powerful electric motor.

This new benchmark figure can be attributed to using six excitation windings in the motor’s stator instead of the customary three. The resulting “double excitation” compared with conventional units allows the electric motor to generate an extremely high output, despite its exceptionally light and compact design, and to maintain it continuously at higher vehicle speeds.

Developing maximum power with the M Sport Boost function and M Launch Control.

The motor powering the rear axle produces a peak output of 483 hp. Working in coordination with the 255 hp motor at the front axle, the resulting all-wheel-drive set-up generates a maximum system torque output of 748 lb-ft in Sport mode and as much as 811 lb-ft when M Launch Control or the M Sport Boost function is activated. The drive system therefore offers outstanding thrust, capable of launching the i7 M70 xDrive from 0 to 60 mph in a shattering 3.5 seconds on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

With the M Launch Control function, both drive and traction control are integrated into the motor control unit. This ensures the power generated by the electric motors is instantly converted into stunning acceleration without any loss of traction.

The M Sport Boost function is activated with the shift paddle to the left of the steering wheel and is visualised by Performance-specific graphics in the instrument cluster. At the same time, the standard BMW IconicSounds Electric by Hans Zimmer provides a fitting acoustic accompaniment by switching to an exhilarating, M Performance-specific tone. The soundtrack’s character varies according to the vehicle setting selected, with distinctly different sounds in My Mode Personal and Sport.

Extremely dynamic performance, excellent long-distance capabilities.

The highly dynamic performance of the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive is complimented by excellent long-distance capabilities. Credit here goes not just to the efficiency of the highly integrated drive units, but also a wealth of measures for reducing power consumption. These include adaptive recuperation of braking energy and the heat pump technology used in the integrated heating and cooling system for the cabin and powertrain.

Another factor contributing to optimized efficiency is the high-voltage battery’s impressive energy density. Located in the vehicle’s underbody, the battery provides 101.7 kWh of usable energy. This gives the BMW i7 M70 xDrive a preliminary estimated range of up to 295 miles (estimated range of up to 295 miles according to preliminary BMW AG tests based on the EPA’s test procedure standards), making it eminently suitable for everyday use. The BMW i7 M70 xDrive is capable of AC charging at up to 11 kW, while DC power can be taken on board at a rate of up to 195 kW.

MAX RANGE operating mode.

The i7 M70 xDrive’s range can be moderated by activating a new drive system function; MAX RANGE. In this mode, drive power and top speed are carefully restricted and comfort functions scaled back, conserving battery power.

The MAX RANGE mode is primarily for critical situations where drivers are unable to recharge mid-journey where they had originally planned and must continue to an alternative charging point. To makd the most of the available energy, the vehicle’s top speed is limited to 56 mph, the climate control system is deactivated as are seat heating, seat ventilation, and steering wheel heating. A popup window appears in the control display indicating the recalculated range. The speed and power output gauges in the information display are also modified accordingly and the new energy conservation profile is taken into account in the range forecast.

The MAX Range mode can be selected using the control display’s touchscreen functionality, the iDrive Controller, or voice commands to the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant. It can also be deactivated by full-throttle acceleration (kickdown), engaging the M Sport Boost function, or switching the window defrost to maximum.

Powertrain and chassis technology in an M-specific application.

In addition to the extraordinary power of the drive system, chassis technology tuned precisely to deliver taut, confidence-inspiring handling contributes to a unique performance experience in the luxury segment.

The electric all-wheel drive, steering, dampers, and stability systems were all fine-tuned with the goal of producing exceptionally sporty handling for a model in this class without sacrificing high comfort over long distances. Helped by the almost silent drive system, passengers in the rear seats in particular enjoy sumptuous levels of comfort. On the other hand, when the road begins to twist and turn, the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive displays the blend of power, agility, and precision with which BMW M models are synonymous. The My Mode Sport activates powertrain and chassis settings geared to dynamic performance for an exhilarating driving experience.

Standard on the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive is an M-specific adaptive two-axle air suspension with electronically controlled dampers and automatic self-levelling. M-specific air springs with reduced-volume hydraulics are also used to optimize damper response.

An additional shear panel between the bulkhead and spring strut towers produces a substantial increase in body rigidity at the front of the BMW i7 M70 xDrive. Also present are Integral Active Steering and Active Roll Stabilization. As well as helping to increase comfort, these two systems – together with the stiffer body – hone the vehicle’s handling dynamics.

The blue M Sport brakes with M logo fitted as standard come with large brake discs for increased stopping power. Brake callipers painted in black are available as part of the optional M Performance Professional package. The standard 21-inch M light-alloy wheels on the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive feature an exclusive, aerodynamically optimised design with a Jet Black solid finish and high-gloss metal inserts. And for the first time on the i7, high performance tires (on 20-inch wheels) are offered as an option.

Sporting presence, luxurious elegance, stylish individuality.

The superior performance of the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive is reflected in its confident design. The imposing presence of the front gains additional visual impact with the contour lighting for the BMW kidney grille. On vehicles specified with the optional M Performance Professional package, the illuminated grille is fitted with a surround in Black high-gloss for the first time.

M-specific design features along the flanks and at the rear of the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive distinguish the performance variant of the i7. Sculpted M side skirts, M logos with embellished borders on the front side panels, M High-gloss Shadowline trim, and black M exterior mirrors with the traditional twin-stalk design add sporting flourishes.

A model-specific rear apron with diffuser insert rounds off the vehicle´s expressive appearance. Vehicles specified with the optional M Performance Professional package feature a black M rear spoiler, a black accent strip between the rear lights, and an inlay – also in black – for the rear apron.

New variants of the BMW Individual two-tone paint finish.

A vast selection of exterior paint shades is available for the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive, including variants reserved exclusively for BMW M models and striking matte-finish Frozen paint options. Owners can add an extra layer of visual impact with BMW Individual two-tone paintwork, which can now include BMW Individual special paintwork colors. Available from the launch of the BMW i7 M70 xDrive is the combination of BMW Individual Liquid Copper metallic for the lower section of the body and Saphire Black metallic for the upper section. An exquisite, precisely drawn coach line separates the two color zones like a delicate signature.

In addition, the range of exterior colors offers customers broader scope for personalization. For example, eight two-tone variants and over 100 BMW Individual special paintwork colors allow them to find a design that precisely matches their taste, bringing a very personal touch to the appearance of their BMW i7 M70 xDrive.

Updated BMW Operating System 8.5 with QuickSelect.

The new BMW i7 M70 xDrive is one of the brand’s first models to feature the updated version of the control/operation system BMW Operating System 8.5 with QuickSelect. In order to make selecting and operating numerous functions and digital services even more intuitive and comfortable, the latest generation of BMW iDrive offers a newly designed home screen and QuickSelect functionality. This brings an improved menu structure that takes its cues from consumer electronics devices. By showing the right information in the right place, the new BMW iDrive helps to deliver a focused, assured driving experience.

The BMW iDrive update also enables a broader offering of digital content for information and entertainment, shorter function update cycles, better information on charging points for electric vehicles, and improved access to a host of specific online services. BMW iDrive with QuickSelect along with the BMW Curved Display and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, focuses squarely on operation using the touchscreen and natural language.

Functions are shown on a single level and can be activated using rapid-access tech.

The new home screen displays the navigation system’s map view or other individually configurable graphics at all times. On the same level, function icons appearing in a vertical arrangement on the driver’s side of the user interface can be selected with a swipe of the finger. QuickSelect allows the associated functions to be accessed directly and without having to pass through a submenu. And once the relevant settings have been chosen, a quick tap on the home icon at the lower edge of the display is all it takes to return to the home screen.

The new menu structure makes activating functions and settings much faster and simpler. The on-board digital content – just like the hardware, in the form of the BMW Curved Display – is designed to enhance the driver’s focus. BMW iDrive provides the right information in the right place and at the right time.

The emotionally engaging performance experience on board the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive is further enhanced by M-design content in the BMW Curved Display. In key areas, the typeface and presentation of graphics reflect those in the cockpit of high-performance models from BMW M GmbH. The numbers in the speed read-out on the information display appear in a platinum/silver colour.

BMW Maps with new charging-optimised route guidance.

Other highlights of the new BMW iDrive include the extended functionality of the cloud-based navigation system BMW Maps. It now offers not only Augmented View on the information display behind the steering wheel, but also improved functions for even more precise charging-optimised route planning. This helps to make long journeys in the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive more relaxing as well as quicker and more efficient.

Added to which, the services and apps already introduced in the new BMW 7 Series are also available with BMW Operating System 8.5. For example, the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant and other voice-controlled assistants, BMW ConnectedDrive Upgrades, BMW Remote Software Upgrades, video streaming on the control display, smartphone integration via Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, My Modes and the Personal eSIM can also be used in the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 5.18.53 AM.jpg
Views: 4434
Size:  212.5 KB
Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 5.19.02 AM.jpg
Views: 4425
Size:  183.2 KB

Name:  P90500582.jpeg
Views: 4558
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  P90500588.jpeg
Views: 4531
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  P90500590.jpeg
Views: 4537
Size:  1.20 MB

Name:  P90500591.jpeg
Views: 4531
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  P90500594.jpeg
Views: 4495
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  P90500597.jpeg
Views: 4503

Name:  P90500600.jpeg
Views: 4296

Name:  P90500601.jpeg
Views: 4845
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  P90500608.jpeg
Views: 4439
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  P90500609.jpeg
Views: 4434
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  P90500611.jpeg
Views: 4428
Size:  1.16 MB

Name:  P90500613.jpeg
Views: 4429
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  P90500614.jpeg
Views: 4391
Size:  1.23 MB

Name:  P90500616.jpeg
Views: 4144
Size:  440.4 KB

Name:  P90500617.jpeg
Views: 4207
Size:  434.4 KB

Name:  P90500621.jpeg
Views: 4388
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  P90500625.jpeg
Views: 4376
Size:  1.01 MB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 8
      04-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #2
MBBM5COMP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Attachment 3157894
The quickest and most powerful model in BMW’s all-electric range.

650 hp and up to 811 lb-ft of torque translates to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Preliminary estimated EPA range up to 295 miles.

iDrive with BMW Operating System 8.5 featuring M-design content.

MSRP to be released closer to start of production.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 17, 2023… Today, BMW M introduces the most powerful purely electric model in the BMW portfolio – the 2024 BMW i7 M70 xDrive. With two electric motors generating a maximum system output of 650 hp and an M-tuned chassis, the new BMW i7 M70 xDrive delivers a captivating blend of electric mobility and performance. The range-topping model of the new BMW 7 Series line-up will accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in an estimated 3.5 seconds, making it the quickest fully electric BMW model.

The BMW i7 M70 xDrive marks another milestone for BMW M GmbH in its transformation to electric mobility. Following the launch of the BMW i4 M50 – BMW M GmbH’s best-selling model worldwide in 2022 – and the BMW iX M60, the i7 M70 xDrive is the company’s third performance model to have an all-electric drive system.

The new i7 M70 xDrive will make its global debut at the Auto Shanghai international motor show in China and will be built at BMW Group Plant Dingolfing – the competence center for electric drive system production where both the electric motors and the high-voltage batteries for all variants of the BMW i7 are manufactured on site. The worldwide market launch of the BMW i7 M70 xDrive will start in the second [...]
Meh
      04-17-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
ThesaVeliona
Starry_Angel
Rep
Drives: '02 Lexus IS300 / '15 BMW 435i

Lord have mercy on us...
playswcars3624.50
DNYC1919478.00
HotRodM4681.00
oz555671.00
      04-17-2023, 07:35 AM   #4
mkizzo
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 LCI, F87 Comp

Imagine taking a corner in that thing?!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:47 AM   #5
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Interesting. Wounded about the prizing. iX M60 isn’t that more expansive than an loaded 50. Will it be the same for the i7?
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

beast!
that two tone is wild

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN15927.50
      04-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #7
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Straight-line acceleration is going to be interesting. Those colors together are, well, to be appreciated by its mother, I guess.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #8
borys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
The combo looks really good
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Inspired by… 🤢
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
hufington3118.50
DNYC1919478.00
BzsBimmer3247.00
rS2g174.00
EM5C496.50
D52M55079.50
BP709228.50
      04-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Love those looks!!
      04-17-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f31/f25/e85

10 years from now at your local Indy shop , “ I have a strange noise and a light on the dash “ . Maybe that battery density thing 🤔😂
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
I'll pass. 12K for a paint job, followed by 5K screen that completely blocks your view, etc. Seems like BMW is aiming for a 160K price tag for its new electric high-end and high-weight "M" vehicles.

Last edited by hufington; 04-17-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
orkinos185.50
      04-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #13
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
I'll pass.
Thank you for letting us know. Some of us obviously feel differently. There are lots of choices out there for different wants, tastes, needs, etc.
Appreciate 4
JustChris17481.50
bmr760139.00
///M TOWN15927.50
      04-17-2023, 09:22 AM   #14
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I’m still having a hard time getting behind the split headlights but overall this looks great. These newer 7’ers have a hell of a presence in person and the interior is fantastic.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:22 AM   #15
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Thank you for letting us know. Some of us obviously feel differently. There are lots of choices out there for different wants, tastes, needs, etc.
Good for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #16
orkinos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW F93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
What's wrong with these BMW electric vehicles' fans? Why does your feelings get hurt each time somebody does not like what you like? Please be more tolerant and less protective.

2022 BMW F93 Dravit/Shakir
Appreciate 3
hufington3118.50
jhbodle141.50
      04-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #17
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

It's cool but given there are already electrified AMG's, Tesla's, and Lucid's out there with substantially more power, I was hoping for more. The same motor front and rear would have yielded 966hp. Still wouldn't have been class leading but at least it would have been attention grabbing.
Appreciate 4
hufington3118.50
Dr.Amro72.50
jhbodle141.50
      04-17-2023, 09:34 AM   #18
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

3 tons??

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 2
Vervain397.50
jhbodle141.50
      04-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #19
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Would love to see it in person, the added details should make it look a bit more sporty.
      04-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #20
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I gotta say, I really hate the bigger "M" badging in the rear. Makes it look like an Amazon badge thrown on a 328.
      04-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #21
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Really wish BMW would chill with calling everything M. The dilution of that brand has rapidly accelerated. Just my opinion!
Appreciate 4
      04-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #22
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I wonder how much space is in the frunk since there is no engine. I envision a full wine bar that pops up and seating for 4.
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41609.50
M3N4CE96.00