BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

05-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #1
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Locking Fob, or Digital Key (card, Apple phone/watch, etc.) in Car

With my current (non-BMW) vehicle, it's impossible to lock the key fob in the main compartment or trunk. In either case, locking won't occur, and even if you don't immediately notice and start to walk away, the horn will honk twice, as if to say, "Uh, you forgot something...get BACK here dummy!" I LOVE that it does that (judgmental chastisement aside).

Is this also the case with my upcoming 740i should I leave the key fob, NFC (I think that's what it's called or I'm prematurely getting ready for the football season) card, or Apple iPhone/watch inside the main compartment or trunk? I'd have to think w/all the tech, this would be the case and is certainly not a deal-breaker, but I'd really like to keep that feature if at all possible. - Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 06:57 AM   #2
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I managed to lock my iPhone with digital key in my iX several times. But I also has the digital key in my Apple Watch so I have actually two keys and walked away with one of them.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gotcha. So evidently the answer is you CAN lock your/a key in the car. I guess I'll just have to be careful then. Thanks. - Mike (OP)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:13 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Does this apply only to the digital key or can you lock your physical key in the car also? (I thought that was not possible)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #5
seans
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Does this apply only to the digital key or can you lock your physical key in the car also? (I thought that was not possible)

TLDR:
It doesn't seem possible--provided all RF systems are functioning--to lock a key/phone/watch in the car if it's the only key with you. Unlike my 530e, I however can lock a key in the car if another key is present and is used to lock the car.

Longer Version

Just ran some tests on the car with two digital keys one of each on on iPhone and Apple Watch and with the two physical OEM key fobs.

In short, you can lock any number of keys within the car (tested: cabin, trunk), provided that at least one key remains outside the vehicle and that key is used to lock the vehicle.

So it appears you can't intentionally/accidentally lock a key in the car if it's the only key on your person or if all keys remain within the vehicle at the time of locking attempt by the comfort access capacitive area on the door handle or with the trunk close-and-lock button.

But say, you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch that both support the Apple Key+ (or really any two keys on your person), if you leave one of those devices in the car and walk away with the other, the car will lock. It cannot be unlocked by the handle unless another key is within range of the vehicle.

If I lock the only key on my person (i.e. one and only one of any iPhone, Watch, or OEM key fob) in the car and press the comfort close capacitive button, the car literally will not lock. If I press the trunk's close-and-lock button, the trunk will temporarily close and then will play 2 quick chirping sounds, three times, to let me know I left behind my singular key.

What Wasn't Tested

Didn't test what happens when you try to lock the car by pressing the automatic door button, but I assume it'll either not budge or will play the same sounds the trunk does after popping open slightly.

Also didn't test what happens if you roll a window down, place a key inside the vehicle, lock the car with another key, move the key that locked the car outside of the car's range, reach into the car and grab the key that was locked in the car, and try to unlock the car with that key once it's outside of the vehicle.

Last edited by seans; 05-22-2023 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 04:07 AM   #6
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

a nice feature would be:

on the phone/whatch:
"warning: you left x keys in the car"
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans View Post

TLDR: It doesn't seem possible—provided all RF systems are functioning—to lock a key/phone/watch in the car if it's the only key with you. Unlike my 530e, I however can lock a key in the car if another key is present and is used to lock the car.

Longer Version
Just ran some tests on the car with two digital keys one of each on on iPhone and Apple Watch and with the two physical OEM key fobs.

In short, you can lock any number of keys within the car (tested: cabin, trunk), provided that at least one key remains outside the vehicle and that key is used to lock the vehicle.

So it appears you can't intentionally/accidentally lock a key in the car if it's the only key on your person or if all keys remain within the vehicle at the time of locking attempt by the comfort access capacitive area on the door handle or with the trunk close-and-lock button.

But say, you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch that both support the Apple Key+ (or really any two keys on your person), if you leave one of those devices in the car and walk away with the other, the car will lock. It cannot be unlocked by the handle unless another key is within range of the vehicle.

If I lock the only key on my person (i.e. one and only one of any iPhone, Watch, or OEM key fob) in the car and press the comfort close capacitive button, the car literally will not lock. If I press the trunk's close-and-lock button, the trunk will temporarily close and then will play 2 quick chirping sounds, three times, to let me know I left behind my singular key.
[B]
What Wasn't [...]

Thanks for all your work on this!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:36 PM   #8
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I'd also like to thank you for this great clarification. - Mike (OP)
Appreciate 0