BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

05-27-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

G70 vs Rolls Royce Phantom

Has anyone driven both of these? How do they compare?

I haven't driven either.

The RR is pretty out of date when it comes to self driving tech (I suppose many RR owners would have a human as their "self driving tech")... probably also has the older gen systems for using your phone as a key... no theater screen... most other stuff appears to be pretty similar though, just much higher quality across the board. I expect the RR would have better ride quality and be quieter... is it (and by how much)?

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 05-28-2023 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post

As a side note, one thing I've noticed is that BMW uses the same trunk button on their cars (the one inside the trunk that you press to close it). On everything from a basic 2 series up to the Phantom, they all have the same crappy black plastic trunk close/lock switch. It's one of the disappointing things about my X7, it really feels out of place given the rest of the car's buttons are much higher quality. They even make a custom version of it for the Phantom, the printing is changed to have the graphic match the silhouette of the Phantom instead of a generic car, but aside from that it's the same button.
I am hoping this is not a serious post. The friggin trunk close button bothers you because the same button is on a 5 series? Are you serious? Are you looking or expecting a custom-made button to perform the same function? Maybe somebody can make fancy buttons as replacements, or maybe BMW will offer option AYKM - "Swarovski crystal trunk close button".

AYKM = Are You Kidding Me

Last edited by AlteBMW; 05-27-2023 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
j09333
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I would have RR over any sedan.
It is too expensive though. Thus, I bought i7.
Before i7, I had s580. I prefer i7 over current Sclass.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by j09333 View Post
I would have RR over any sedan.
It is too expensive though. Thus, I bought i7.
Before i7, I had s580. I prefer i7 over current Sclass.
Why 7 over the S class?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Why 7 over the S class?
I'll give you my answer, having test driven the S last August before I bought 760. The S has a nice conservative design, probably more aesthetically pleasing to many than a 7, which is distinctive and much bolder. More importantly, the S handling does not compare to the 7. It is way more floaty-boaty and steering is less precise. It is a big car and it feels like a big car. 760 is big but handles like a smaller car. Also, ergonomics of iDrive beat Mbux in my view hands down.

I did not drive an S with 4 wheel steering as there was none like that to drive, and that might make a difference.

My wife just got a new EClass wagon. They call it "All Terrain". There is a dramatic improvement in the infotainment system over the '20 she had perviously, so Mercedes is improving things.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #6
j09333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Why 7 over the S class?
I7 over s580, the electric 7.
Being an electric big sedan, it is the only choice in the market but also the right choice in the market.
It is made to be a platform that works with ICE and this makes the car ‘a car’.
Balance as we know it from the past is there.
This alone, ‘feels like I am driving a car not a flatbed with motor’ worth my money.
All the other digital gadgets are more or less the same deal.
It too has errors as S class(which I had 4 recalls done during ownership).

As far as ride quality goes, it is heavy car and suspension sometimes fails to react the imperfections on the road(Sclass never failed) it is acceptable for what I am having in turn, a drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 08:02 PM   #7
j09333
Private
Rep

Forgot to mention that being electric wins the inside quality over any ICE cars.

No vibration no noise at all.

So it has to be i7 electric over any ICE Sclass.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #8
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I am hoping this is not a serious post. The friggin trunk close button bothers you because the same button is on a 5 series? Are you serious? Are you looking or expecting a custom-made button to perform the same function? Maybe somebody can make fancy buttons as replacements, or maybe BMW will offer option AYKM - "Swarovski crystal trunk close button".

AYKM = Are You Kidding Me
I think it’s a fair question. For $400K starting price for the Phantom, yes I would also expect a Swarovski, etc. button. Or at least metal. For that money, it would absolutely be my right to have otherwise unrealistic expectations.

The only things that I’ve seen carried over from the BMW lineup to Rolls Royce are the aforementioned trunk buttons, the safety options button, and the rear seat controls. The speaker for Bluetooth phones in the ceiling is similar, but metal in the Phantom.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 07:02 PM   #9
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
I think it’s a fair question. For $400K starting price for the Phantom, yes I would also expect a Swarovski, etc. button. Or at least metal. For that money, it would absolutely be my right to have otherwise unrealistic expectations.

The only things that I’ve seen carried over from the BMW lineup to Rolls Royce are the aforementioned trunk buttons, the safety options button, and the rear seat controls. The speaker for Bluetooth phones in the ceiling is similar, but metal in the Phantom.
The door jamb sticker with your VIN and weights is also the same part, just has Rolls Royce printed on it as the manufacturer instead of BMW. But obviously that doesn't matter :)

I believe the rearview mirror is also the same, and I think the back of it is plastic even in the Phantom - not wrapped in leather.
Appreciate 0