BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #23
Zodiac
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, M5 E60, M6 F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
If they pull the split headlight front end, I will permanently move to Porsche. I had been considering the XM or the new 7 Series, but these renders just look bad.
I agree that renders look like s**t, but the real-life implementation is very good. It suits the design perfectly IMO (allthough I am not sure if those things are really lights or some sensors, I only saw light coming from the top, narrow lights).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
The URL is not working, but I've seen the real deal yesterday.

In short:
- the render mentioned by OP is very close, but toned down, like a concept made by 10y old,
- while I was not into new 7 series, I am in love,
- the thing that comes to mind at first time is 'damn, thats a PREDATOR look' (that Predator, from Alien vs Predator).

I am impressed and waiting/hoping for V8 to be available.

EDIT: No V8 I'm a sad panda
How about this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #25
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Another disgracefully bad render. This is faker than a 3 dollar bill.

No way in hell they next gen has split headlights.
You must be lost.
You must be chief of BMW's design team.

Or maybe just a extremely gullible.
      08-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #26
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
How about this:
Completly different. The ideas are there (i.e. the grill size or top lights size) but the execution is different. Like day and night.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Another disgracefully bad render. This is faker than a 3 dollar bill.

No way in hell they next gen has split headlights.
You must be lost.
You must be chief of BMW's design team.

Or maybe just a extremely gullible.
BMW new 7-series and X7 will have split headlights.

08-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #28
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
The URL is not working, but I've seen the real deal yesterday.

In short:
- the render mentioned by OP is very close, but toned down, like a concept made by 10y old,
- while I was not into new 7 series, I am in love,
- the thing that comes to mind at first time is 'damn, thats a PREDATOR look' (that Predator, from Alien vs Predator).

I am impressed and waiting/hoping for V8 to be available.

EDIT: No V8 I'm a sad panda

where were you when you got to see the 2023 in person? And how did this come about?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
where were you when you got to see the 2023 in person? And how did this come about?
Can't say, won't say. But I'm happy I did, new 7er looks great (to me at least, my wife hates it, but she had the same attidute 2 years ago when I was buying my previuous G11 LCI and now she's in love with the current design).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Can't say, won't say. But I'm happy I did, new 7er looks great (to me at least, my wife hates it, but she had the same attidute 2 years ago when I was buying my previuous G11 LCI and now she's in love with the current design).
Surprised by the No V8 remark
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #31
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Don't be. Neither the OP nor this guy know what they're talking about.

The only engine getting killed of this next generation is the V12. There will absolutely be a turbo V8, probably hybridized with e-power Porsche-style for at least the X8, probably the M8 too.

These guys posting and falling for these ridiculous renders and click bait articles probably want to buy this really nice bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn. (Hit my DM)

Finally, if you look back in BMW history, you will see that they've used dummy/altered headlights on many of their camouflaged prototype cars, only to have the real version be revealed and look nothing like the camo car. But don't take my word for it…
Attached Images

LSM1118.00
      08-09-2021, 01:19 AM   #32
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only engine getting killed of this next generation is the V12. There will absolutely be a turbo V8, probably hybridized with e-power Porsche-style for at least the X8, probably the M8 too.

These guys posting and falling for these ridiculous renders and click bait articles probably want to buy this really nice bridge I have for sale in Brooklyn. (Hit my DM)

Finally, if you look back in BMW history, you will see that they've used dummy/altered headlights on many of their camouflaged prototype cars, only to have the real version be revealed and look nothing like the camo car. But don't take my word for it…
Surprised in that it's not true and pointless to say it.

First up is the M750 using the new S68 V8 with 48v MHEV, followed by a higher output M variant, and finally the S68 powered B7.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #33
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well you can believe it or not, I don't care. I got those details straight from the source.

This can of course change, nothing is set in stone yet. One of the changes happend when I got details regarding the G30 LCI grill design, which was going to be bigger and more aligned with 7 series, but they went back in one of the pre-production phases and cut it down because of the outcry with G11/G12 LCI version. Maybe also V8 won't be available only in Europe. I don't know the EXACT details (and don't care).

I saw the real deal and that was all I wanted before getting another G11 (750i) this year

Last edited by Zodiac; 08-09-2021 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #34
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

My lease is up in December. Does anyone know when the real car will be shown, and the earliest it could be ordered? If I want to extend my lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #35
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well you can believe it or not, I don't care. I got those details straight from the source.

This can of course change, nothing is set in stone yet. One of the changes happend when I got details regarding the G30 LCI grill design, which was going to be bigger and more aligned with 7 series, but they went back in one of the pre-production phases and cut it down because of the outcry with G11/G12 LCI version. Maybe also V8 won't be available only in Europe. I don't know the EXACT details (and don't care).

I saw the real deal and that was all I wanted before getting another G11 (750i) this year
They're not sources if the information is wholly inaccurate.

Jump to 4:10 for a brief S68 sound bite.

Appreciate 1
Thomas66.50
      08-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #36
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Surprised in that it's not true and pointless to say it.

First up is the M750 using the new S68 V8 with 48v MHEV, followed by a higher output M variant, and finally the S68 powered B7.
You might be the only person in this neighborhood who would have an answer: how the hell did the new motor get an S designation? Does it really have the prerequisite M je ne sais quoi?

And as far as I can see, it's just "750i", no "M" there.

(BTW you have no idea how much this stupid "S" confused me and prevented me from posting the correct info in my thread until I saw the actual G70s with it - simply because I believed until the last moment that "S" engine meant "M" car.)

Last edited by ynguldyn; 08-30-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Zodiac46.00
      08-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #37
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
And as far as I can see, it's just "750i", no "M" there.
Any idea on the power numbers?

I asked around for some details but at this moment I got the same answer: "I don't know about any V8 being available, just R6 and BEV I saw myself along with plethora of parts, including new gearbox".

Wondering if they go downsizing route and do a 4l instead of 4.4l with keeping the same (or slightly better, i.e. ~550HP) numbers. Or go nuts and ~700hp replacement for 760li, along with similar BEV version (but that will be probably also something they introduce later on, as usual for the higher performance models).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #38
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Any idea on the power numbers?

I asked around for some details but at this moment I got the same answer: "I don't know about any V8 being available, just R6 and BEV I saw myself along with plethora of parts, including new gearbox".

Wondering if they go downsizing route and do a 4l instead of 4.4l with keeping the same (or slightly better, i.e. ~550HP) numbers. Or go nuts and ~700hp replacement for 760li, along with similar BEV version (but that will be probably also something they introduce later on, as usual for the higher performance models).
It's 4.4L and has the same exact power output as the current N63 - at least on the ICE side. What trickery is going to be brought by the MHEV side I have no idea.
Appreciate 1
Zodiac46.00
      09-09-2021, 03:53 AM   #39
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:

No offence meant, and you might be right or wrong concerning the discussion here, but I want to point out something from what you posted.

'One of the changes happend when I got details regarding the G30 LCI grill design, which was going to be bigger and more aligned with 7 series, but they went back in one of the pre-production phases and cut it down because of the outcry with G11/G12 LCI version.'

So, according to what you posted, they did not change for a significantly bigger grill in the G30 because of the 'outcry with the G11/G12 LCI version', but then why they kept the big grille for the upcoming 7 Series? There is not much sense in their decisions. They should have gone for a smaller grill for the new 7-series if they really seen and seriously considered the so called 'outcry'.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 10-20-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #40
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
So, according to what you posted, they did not change for a significantly bigger grille in the G30 because of the 'outcry with the G11/G12 LCI version', but then why they kept the big grille for the upcoming 7 Series? There is not much sense in their decisions. They should have gone for a smaller grill for the new 7-series if they really seen and seriously considered the so called 'outcry'.
The reason to use smaller grilles in 5er was (still, according to my source, its not my idea) that it is a mainstream segment and they did not want to create all the hate and outcry, so with G30 LCI they refined them and made smaller. Thats what I got.

And yes, the grilles on the upcoming 7 series are bigger. When I look at them just now - having iX parked next to the new 7, I can say that the 7 grilles are a bit smaller (in regards to iX). But still look like twice the size of the current 7 series I have in my garage. Like twice the size in height, less in width, I would say

Those new grilles also have strange 3D structure on them (besides having vertical lines similar to already seen on current model, which iX do not have) at the bottom, my initial idea was that its for the licence plate holder, but I see the license plate holder mounted below the grilles (but not sure if thats the production ready solution or temporary one).

But the back looks slick and 8ish and that is what everyone will see on the road, so dont worry

Last edited by Zodiac; 09-15-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #41
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The backlash against the LCI 7 grilles has come from those that had no intention to buy a 7 in the first place.
      09-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #42
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

This is very true.

A lot of internet people hate the grille on the 7 Series LCI, and that's their entitled opinion, but I would wager most of them are not in the market for that car anyway.

Some people who are potential 7 Series customers may also dislike the grille, no question about it, but I'm going to guess that the majority of people "outcrying" are not those people.

If anything, I bet if those people *were* suddenly in the market for a 7, they would change their tune. Simply put, if you buy a car in this class, you want it to look like you did. Who would want to buy the big boy big boss flagship, only to have it look demure and small? Maybe some, sure, but not most people. That's why Rolls-Royce and Bentley have enormous imposing grilles, and that's why the current 7 grille is right in line with with the A8, LS, G90, and S-Class.

Maybe you could argue it could have been designed better or integrated better, okay, but the sheer size of the grille is *not* the problem, and the majority of those who suggest otherwise can't afford one anyway (if I may use a harsh choice of words).
Appreciate 1
AD4.50
      09-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #43
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
This is very true.

A lot of internet people hate the grille on the 7 Series LCI, and that's their entitled opinion, but I would wager most of them are not in the market for that car anyway.

Some people who are potential 7 Series customers may also dislike the grille, no question about it, but I'm going to guess that the majority of people "outcrying" are not those people.

If anything, I bet if those people *were* suddenly in the market for a 7, they would change their tune. Simply put, if you buy a car in this class, you want it to look like you did. Who would want to buy the big boy big boss flagship, only to have it look demure and small? Maybe some, sure, but not most people. That's why Rolls-Royce and Bentley have enormous imposing grilles, and that's why the current 7 grille is right in line with with the A8, LS, G90, and S-Class.

Maybe you could argue it could have been designed better or integrated better, okay, but the sheer size of the grille is *not* the problem, and the majority of those who suggest otherwise can't afford one anyway (if I may use a harsh choice of words).
I am not in the market for a 7 series and probably will never be. If I was however, I would not buy it because I do not like what the grille looks like. I do not object to larger grilles per se but some are just over the top and make the car look cartoonish.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #44
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Well, according to some of the (also well known) marketing experts, a product that can split the customer base into a group of people "in love" with the design and the other that hate the design is a perfect one.

I am in the "lovers" team myself, the pre-LCI was too boring for me, the LCI redesign made me return to 7 series again (first with 740xd right after the LCI premiere, now I jumped into the 750xi as I will not be an early adopter and will wait at least 1y before taking a jump to the new 7).

So based on my own example, I can say that the design does its job well
Appreciate 0